PiP with shaped cropping

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

bmargogne

PiP with shaped cropping

PostMon May 21, 2018 7:10 am

Hello !

I am starting to use Da Vinci Resolve 14 / 15, and I am not sure if / how I can use a simple way to crop video within a hexagon shape.

I have two separate shots with 1 character looking to the right, and another shot with 1 character talking to the left. I would like to crop the second shot within an hexagon, then include it as "Picture in Picture" in the first shot. ( I think the attachment will be clearer !).

what would be the best (ie quick!) solution to achieve this ? (with or without fusion if necessary...)

Thank you !

Bertrand.
Attachments
Sans titre.png
Sans titre.png (48.3 KiB) Viewed 5235 times
---------------------------------
Bertrand
working on a youtube channel about videogame creation

Micha Clazing

Re: PiP with shaped cropping

PostMon May 21, 2018 12:20 pm

Overlay them on top of each other in your edit timeline, and use the input sizing options to scale your top video to be smaller and in the corner. Use a shape matte to create a mask, and then right click the empty space in your node graph and click "add alpha output". Connect the matte output of the node containing your shape matte (blue connector) to the blue output to output the shape as the alpha channel for the clip in the timeline.

bmargogne

Re: PiP with shaped cropping

PostWed May 23, 2018 5:23 pm

Hello Micha,

this techniques is easy, fast and does the job... exactly what I was looking for, thank you :) !
Bertrand
---------------------------------
Bertrand
working on a youtube channel about videogame creation

Return to DaVinci Resolve