Configuring Resolve for multiple user access to Projects

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Graham9295

Configuring Resolve for multiple user access to Projects

PostWed May 23, 2018 10:34 am

The school I work out has purchased two copies of DaVince Resolve 14 Studio which are installed on a single machine each and they also use the standard version in a classroom. On the whole they are very happy with Resolve however we are looking for ideas about the best way to configure the standard version on the machines in the classrooms to support multiple students across multiple years, basically we are looking to do is to allow a student to access their projects using any of the machines in the classroom rather than having to go on to a specific machine every time. It would also be nice if there was a way to share a project so that any student could edit it, irrespective of whom created it to start with.

I'm thinking that I (I look after the IT for the school) will have to look at installing a PostgreSQL instance and then to configure the Resolve standard installations to use that or maybe to configure Resolve to have an on disk database that is on shared drive on the network.

If anyone has configured Resolve in the way I'm looking to do then I would be grateful for some information of what you did and/or if anyone knows of the 'best' way to do this then such information would be gratefully received.

Cheers,

Graham

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

Re: Configuring Resolve for multiple user access to Projects

PostFri Jun 01, 2018 8:26 am

Shared PostgreSQL operation needs the Studio license on each client and the Resolve installed PostgreS installer to set up the database server. No license is needed for that server.

Alternatively, if its one common project, use a central location to hold a copy of the project which can be exported from the originating machine.

Using Disk database in the free version, import that project into each standalone system.
Make a backup in the DB so when the user overwrites the project with changes you can still reload the original.
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

Graham9295

Re: Configuring Resolve for multiple user access to Projects

PostMon Jun 11, 2018 9:13 am

Thanks for the information Peter

Return to DaVinci Resolve