What graphic card should i buy?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Christian Martinez

What graphic card should i buy?

PostFri May 25, 2018 5:02 pm

Good morning everyone!

I'm always trying new things with Davinci Resolve, but at the time of rendering, sometimes I get problems if I include too many modifications in the original video (grading, texts, etc.), and not to mention when I try to make noise reduction, It's impossible, I can not do it directly.

My computer has the following characteristics:

Intel Core i7 960 @ 3.20GHz
ASUSTeK SABERTOOTH X58 (LGA1366)
Gigabyte NVIDIA GeForce GT 730 1GB
Samsung SSD 850 EVO
16GB RAM DDR3 de G.Skill 667 MHz
Windows 10 Home 64-bit

I can not buy a new processor, and I know that my processor is something old, but I think with a new resolution I would solve my problems. What do you think? What graphics does it allow me to buy to handle Davinci Resolve well?

I had thought about buying the "Zotac ZT-P10600B-10M NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB"

Greetings and many thanks.

Ole Kristiansen

Re: What graphic card should i buy?

PostFri May 25, 2018 5:57 pm

...... handle Davinci Resolve well?

It all depends on what you intend to edit in Davinci's resolve! Media Info?

Sulo Kokki

PostFri May 25, 2018 10:33 pm

He has a 1Gb GT card, so I doubt he's doing 4K ;)
Christian Martinez wrote:I had thought about buying the "Zotac ZT-P10600B-10M NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB"
You're on the right track. The 1060 would make for a good card in your Resolve config. The only thing I'd look into is the amount of memory. 6Gb is plenty, but you'd mainly see the difference in higher resolutions (4K, 8K). If your stuff is mostly in HD, you can get by with 4Gb. So it comes down to how much money you'd be willing to spend.

With that current card, I bet you're currently running Resolve 12.x. With a new GPU, you could try 14.3, or the 15 betas.
Linux Mint 19.3 | DaVinci Resolve Studio 17.1 | 2700x 32gb Radeon VII | macOS Mojave

Carsten Sellberg

PostSat May 26, 2018 6:13 am

Hi.

For the moments there is a lot of rumors on the internet of the next generation of nVideas graphics cards. I expect the first to have at least 8 GB and be ether cheaper or faster. May be that will be something to consider:

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/nvidi ... 37067.html

I expect to buy one myself.

Regards Carsten.
URSA Mini 4.6K

Christian Martinez

PostSat May 26, 2018 11:10 am

Hello
Primo thank you for the answers. Right now I am using the Blackamagic Pocket Cinema, and I plan to update it in September when the new version comes out, so I will use 4K then, thinking about that, is the 1060 6GB right?

I'm also worried about RAM and the processor, are they enough?

Greetings and thanks.

Carsten Sellberg

PostSat May 26, 2018 11:45 am

Hi.

In Resolve the CPU is used to run the app, disk I/O and compression and decompression of codecs.
Resolve does all its image processing in the GPU on the graphics card. Look for many CUDA cores. More is better.

4K/UHD have 4 times the pixels of Full HD and require much stronger CPU and a
GPU with much more CUDA performance and Video ram. For 4K/UHD will I aim for 8GB - 11GB Videoram.

Will recommend you to read the DaVinci Resolve 15 Configuration Guide:

http://documents.blackmagicdesign.com/D ... _Guide.pdf

Regards Carsten.
URSA Mini 4.6K

Return to DaVinci Resolve