Resolve 15 Feedback Notes

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Rodrigo Silvestri

Resolve 15 Feedback Notes

PostSat May 26, 2018 7:23 am

I'm a film-advert colorist based in Buenos Aires. I've been using Resolve since 2011 and I've always been in contact with the support team, but they encouraged me to post my feedback in the forum so here it is. I'm really excited for this new release, I'm seeing a lot of great changes and even some things I've been asking for years!

First I'll mention things that I feel should be different, like bugs or details that don't make sense. Then I'll put some ideas for new features.

BUGS / DESIGN FLAWS

- Middle click doesn't copy the grades from the new Timeline gallery view.
This has worked forever for copying a grade from another clip on the thumbnail timeline or from a gallery still, so I feel it's inconsistent that it doesn't work the same way for the new Timeline gallery view. Also, it's missing the options to wipe the clip. I think it should work more like the thumbnails in the color timeline, with the option to wipe the clip, and also with click and hold (scroll) to change the displayed frame.

- Linked nodes indicator! I love the idea of linked nodes. I always work with linked remote versions and also with groups (pre-clip-post), and I'm definitely going to use the linked nodes, probably to replace groups (which are kind of limiting by being only before/after the clip's grade). The linked nodes have a great potential since you can decide to put them in different orders for each clip, maybe in one clip use a correction before the linked node and in another clip use a different correction after the node. But there's an important thing about remote versions and groups that I think is lacking on linked nodes: An icon to indicate which other clips use this node. There's a pink icon for remote versions and a green icon for grouped clips, so it's easy to see in the timeline which clips you're affecting. When you select a clip with a linked node (or maybe when you select the node), there should be an icon displayed in the clip thumbnails (the same cyan icon that appears over the node?) that indicates which clips are connected with this same node, so you can unlock it and modify it without fear.
There should also be clip filters for this.

- Now that the nodes have been redesigned, I think they could show more icons (the small ones on the bottom that indicate which parameters have been modified in each node). If the nodes are too small the icons are rapidly cropped and after more than three icons.
Also, when hovering with the mouse over this small icons sections, they could expand and show all the icons for that node (I know there's already the popup text that shows when you leave the mouse on top of a node, but there's a small wait, it could be faster and snappier with no wait).

(edited) - FCPXMLs with retimes still create compound clips with locked resolution. Final Cut Pro X creates compound clips for every retime and/or composition made in the software. These compound clips are imported in Resolve with a fixed resolution matching the media file that was loaded in the FCPX project. More than frequently the DITs create low res proxies and the editors only work with these proxies, so when we import the FCPXMLs in Resolve many clips have this limited resolution problem. We can relink them manually to the camera files but it's more work for the online editor. It also complicates things if we're using remote versions for linking grades.
This problem can be improved if the proxies are generated inside FCPX or if the editor reconnects all the media to the original footage before exporting the FCPXML (so the compound clips are still there but they're in the original res), but it's not a solution that works for everyone. We're encountering this issue very often and we're trying to teach people to avoid this from happening, but I think Resolve has to improve the compatibility for these files.

- Grading versions changes popup confirmations.
Some actions in Resolve are not undoable, like changing grading versions, and this is OK for me, but there are some items in the drop down menu of the Clips thumbnails that can cause irreparable damage if clicked by mistake.
In the same way that the "Delete all versions" option asks for confirmation, these items should ask too:
Copy Remote Grades to Local
Copy Local Grades to Remote
Use Local Grades
Use Remote Grades
Delete Unused Versions

- Undo/Redo, switch version lose source cache (now "Fusion Output" cache)
Before, applying a grade to a clip would result in losing the source cache (it shows up in red and has to render again). This was fixed.
But still, switching versions or pressing undo/redo cause the same effect, even on clips with no raw settings.

- Media Manager limits frame handles to 99 (Why?).

- Clip filters:
Clips with No marker (there's clip with no flag)
Modified clips in "Last 12 hours" (come on, half of the times I'm looking for the changes done today, 6 hours might be too short if it is late and 24 hours probably shows clips I graded yesterday).
Clips with Edit Sizing.
Clips with node keyframes.
Clips with no groups.
Clips under Timeline marks.
If it gets too large, it could have an option to hide/organize filters.

- Render Job label text field:
The render job names are cropped before filling less than half of the line. You can hardly write two words in it without it being croped and there's a lot of space to the right.

- Gallery stills cannot be viewed in Box mode, when selecting this mode they show full frame.

- Import Stills Option Button:
Since Resolve 14 the file browser that opens when importing stills on OSX doesn't show the list of formats right away as it did before, it has a new Options button that shows that old pull-down menu. Since most of the times we're importing formats other than DPX, I feel it is totally unnecessary to hide that option.

- Export stills with label as name: There are new options to automatically set the stills label when capturing the stills, and this is fantastic for working inside Resolve, but these names could be added to the file names when exporting the stills.

- Export Stills overwriting each other: If I capture the first still from different timelines in the same stills page, they'll all be named 1.1.1, when exporting them they are overwritten by the next one so only one is exported. Adding the labels to the name could improve this but I think Resolve should recognize this and add some kind of extra number for these cases.

- Scroll bar mouse precision: The scroll bars inside Resolve are thin, and I like them that way, but sometimes when they're too close to a resizeable border, the actual area in which the scroll bar can be clicked to scroll is even thinner. This is generally not a problem when using a mouse with a scroll wheel, but with a graphic tablet I'm always trying to grab the scroll bars. I suffer it the most in the Project Settings window, when you click the center of the bar it's actually trying to resize the width of the window (which is fixed, btw), so I have to click almost on the left side of the bar (even outside of the bar) to actually grab it and scroll.
I have a button for scrolling with the pen and it works great for zooming the viewer, but it's laggy in most of the rest of the software.

NEW FEATURES

- Maybe Shift + middle click could append the nodes? (for gallery stills, LUTs and also timeline gallery stills).

- Clip filter shortcuts: There are some clip filters that I use frequently, like the one to show the clips with common source file. There could be an option to create a user shortcut (a keyboard shortcut? maybe a button next to the Clips button?)

- Add better playback options to Color page, like Play around to current clip, or setting in and out and playing around in/out. I like to use this tools but it's kind of a hassle to go back and forth between the Edit and Color pages.

- Export Stills should remember the last picture format used.
+ It could have an option to open the folder right after the stills are exported.
+ It could have an option disable exporting the DRX files.

That's all for now. Feel free to comment and make recommendations if you can think of any.

Rodrigo Silvestri

Rodrigo Silvestri

Re: Resolve 15 Feedback Notes

PostMon May 28, 2018 7:15 pm

Just remembered two things that I might have reported earlier but I think deserve attention:

- If you add a grade to a whole timeline creating a node in the Timeline mode and then insert that first timeline into a second timeline as a compound clip, the Timeline grade is not maintained.

- Enabling Collaboration mode disables all playback proxies. I haven't tested this in v15 because I don't intend to upgrade our main facility to v15 before a stable release, but if this problem persists I think it should be resolved. We use many computers connected to shared storages which contain the media and the proxies, so I don't see a reason to disable the proxies in collaboration mode.

Thanks,
Rodrigo.

Misha Mazor

PostWed Jun 27, 2018 12:33 pm

BUGS:
-- enable mouse-over Live Preview for LUTs in LIST view (not only in thumbnail view)
-- 1 frame forward/reverse keyboard shortcut suddenly stops working in COLOR Workspace. Switching to EDIT and then back to COLOR resolves the problem temporarily
-- deactivated nodes are hard to distinguish. The red X of previous Davinci versions was more clear and preferable
-- clip thumbnails in COLOR workspace sometimes do not automatically update
— unable to create markers when in “Show clip with handles” mode

FEATURE REQUESTS:
— a way to “clean up node graph” in Display Node Graph window.
— keyboard shortcut to jump to a specific clip by its sequential number listed in its top corner when in COLOR Workspace (in After Effects, a convenient way to highlight a layer is to quickly type in its number on the Numpad)
— add ability to duplicate, copy, paste stills between Still Albums (the cumbersome workaround is to drag stills into and then out of a power grade album)
— ability to select timecode readout and copy/paste directly into it. This would be highly usable if I have a timecode in my clipboard I need to navigate to in the timeline, as you can do in premiere/after effects/FCP
— enable ability to go to timecode by typing in COLOR and DELIVER pages, not just in EDIT

Rodrigo Silvestri

PostSat Jun 30, 2018 7:31 am

Misha Mazor wrote:BUGS:
-- enable mouse-over Live Preview for LUTs in LIST view (not only in thumbnail view)
-- 1 frame forward/reverse keyboard shortcut suddenly stops working in COLOR Workspace. Switching to EDIT and then back to COLOR resolves the problem temporarily
-- deactivated nodes are hard to distinguish. The red X of previous Davinci versions was more clear and preferable
-- clip thumbnails in COLOR workspace sometimes do not automatically update
— unable to create markers when in “Show clip with handles” mode

FEATURE REQUESTS:
— a way to “clean up node graph” in Display Node Graph window.
— keyboard shortcut to jump to a specific clip by its sequential number listed in its top corner when in COLOR Workspace (in After Effects, a convenient way to highlight a layer is to quickly type in its number on the Numpad)
— add ability to duplicate, copy, paste stills between Still Albums (the cumbersome workaround is to drag stills into and then out of a power grade album)
— ability to select timecode readout and copy/paste directly into it. This would be highly usable if I have a timecode in my clipboard I need to navigate to in the timeline, as you can do in premiere/after effects/FCP
— enable ability to go to timecode by typing in COLOR and DELIVER pages, not just in EDIT

+1 for all of your notes!

SPLIT SCREEN PREVIEW LUTS WITH CURRENT GRADE APPLIED:
I've been playing with the LUT gallery and remembered one thing that would make my life easier:
I use the split screen mode to browse and select LUTs since it's been available (all my LUTs are stored as gallery stills). When you select the Split Screen mode for gallery stills (or now LUTs), the split screen shows the image with only that one LUT applied, so if the image is Alexa LogC and the LUT is for Rec709 then you see it wrong. When this happens (80% of the times?) I add the LogC to Rec709 LUT to all the clips, then go to Edit, create a Compound Clip and then go back to Color and test the LUTs in split screen mode. When I choose the ones I like, I go back to Edit and undo the compound clip.
This is really cumbersome, and I think there should be an option (in the viewer options menu) to preview the gallery still or LUT applied at the end of the grade, as if you were appending it, instead of disabling the current grade.

Thanks,
Rodrigo

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostSun Jul 01, 2018 5:29 am

In color and deliver, if you mouse select the viewer, then enter you timecode what do you see?
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

Misha Mazor

PostMon Jul 02, 2018 1:40 am

Peter Chamberlain wrote:In color and deliver, if you mouse select the viewer, then enter you timecode what do you see?

The small timecode readout on top of the viewer has a dropdown arrow with Copy/Paste options in COLOR, but no arrow in EDIT & DELIVER. Inconsistent. How would anyone know to Right+click it without the arrow indicator?? Either way its much more intuitive to just be able to click the timecode and type/copy/paste right there manually. The larger timecode readouts in MEDIA, COLOR, DELIVERY aren't even clickable! I often copy a timecode value intending to paste it into Davinci, but there's just no intuitive way.

FEATURE REQUEST: keyboard shortcut for toggling between open timelines.

Rodrigo Silvestri

PostSun Jul 22, 2018 2:38 am

Just remembered two more features that could be added to the curves:

- A keystroke modifier that locks the curve points so they only move vertically: Press-and-hold a key (ctrl?), then click-and-drag a curve point with the mouse, it will only move vertically, so you can look at the monitor and adjust without needing to be extra careful not to move it horizontally. Mostly needed in hue-vs-* curves.

- Maybe a different keystroke for moving the points horizontally (when you need to expand or adjust the points around the part you want to edit. Or instead of horizontal, maybe this makes the point follow the current shape of the curve.

- Holding a keystroke and clicking over a part of the curve that doesn't already have a point would create a point where the curve is, without lifting it or lowering it (no need to be vertically precise when clicking). So you can create the "lock" points around the range you want to affect. I usually click on the curves to create these points and then go to the text boxes and write manually "1" for hue-vs-sat or "0" for hue-vs-hue curves.

R.

MosesSunny

A Bug in Resolve 15 (Mouse Pointer not working Properly)

PostMon Sep 10, 2018 1:33 am

When you come to the Edit Panel. And after that you press Ctrl+F for fullscreen mode and get exit from the fullscreen mode, then notice the behaviour of mouse pointer that it does not point or click on the elements(buttons, etc) properly. This is a bug which I noticed causing because of Fullscreen mode.

Damien LeVeck

PostWed Feb 06, 2019 5:58 pm

The Find/Search function is limited to the folder/bin that is currently selected. This is highly problematic for locating footage in your project. If you have a large project, there is literally zero way of searching for the metadata on that footage unless you have the bin/folder containing the clip selected.

Find/search must be expanded to look at the entire project before it is viable as a good solution for large-scale productions.

Tom Early

PostWed Feb 06, 2019 6:17 pm

Damien LeVeck wrote:The Find/Search function is limited to the folder/bin that is currently selected. This is highly problematic for locating footage in your project. If you have a large project, there is literally zero way of searching for the metadata on that footage unless you have the bin/folder containing the clip selected.

Find/search must be expanded to look at the entire project before it is viable as a good solution for large-scale productions.

select the bins that you want to search. If you want to search them all, just select them all. It's good that you can limit searches to just the bin you are in.
MBP2021 M1 Max 64GB, macOS 14.4, Resolve Studio 18.6.6 build 7
Output: UltraStudio 4K Mini, Desktop Video 12.7

John Paines

PostWed Feb 06, 2019 6:41 pm

Damien LeVeck wrote:Find/search must be expanded to look at the entire project before it is viable as a good solution for large-scale productions.

Shift-click the top bin and shift-click the last bin. They should all highlight. Searches will now include all bins.

Damien LeVeck

PostWed Feb 06, 2019 7:50 pm

Ah. And all this time I thought this was a design oversight! Thank you.

I still think it would be more elegant if you just clicked in the search bar and could start typing. Adding the additional steps of selecting bins is awkward and can result in accidents like moving bins to different places where they don't belong.

waltervolpatto

• Location: 1146 North Las Palmas Ave. Hollywood, California 90038 USA

PostWed Feb 06, 2019 8:12 pm

John Paines wrote:
Damien LeVeck wrote:Find/search must be expanded to look at the entire project before it is viable as a good solution for large-scale productions.

Shift-click the top bin and shift-click the last bin. They should all highlight. Searches will now include all bins.

It is still silly: unless specified/ selected, search should dig down the subfolder structure, that is, if I'm in the root search the whole place.

This shift click shift click is annoying.
W10-19043.1645- Supermicro MB C9X299-PGF - RAM 128GB CPU i9-10980XE 16c 4.3GHz (Oc) Water cooled
Decklink Studio 4K (12.3)
Resolve 18.5.1 / fusion studio 18
GPU 3090ti drivers 512.59 studio

Michal Sulima

PostThu Feb 28, 2019 7:06 pm

Few months back I've moved to Resolve 15 Studio full-time. After 8 years of being stuck in Adobe ecosystem I could not wait to abandon that ship (of frustration, bugs, stupefyingly lazy design, quality-assurance performed by the end-user, and the shameless financial rip-off vs product quality they dare to impose).

Long story short, Davinci Resolve 15 is amazing.
It's like moving from Microsoft to Apple, design quality-wise. I'm here to stay.

Team Black Magic, thank you; please continue your dark arts, liberating souls from the sad mediocrity of Adobe.

Below is my first, rather extensive report of what I feel is missing, bugs encountered and suggested improvements, mostly from an editor's point of view.

- movement around and organisation of media pool workflow is quite clean and elegant but also severely limiting at the moment. Where Premiere Pro’s execution is buggy as always, the general design of its tabs and search capabilities is good in principle and usually much more productive to move around that Davinci is at present.

- Please allow faster, more flexible use and search within Media Pool, i.e. using a multiple boolean-type syntax such as “keyword:interior, type:audio, contains:_T004”, instead of going slowly through the ‘filter by’ list which only allows one condition at a time or all of them at once. More importantly, please allow a simple button to quickly create a new smart bin based on current search criteria. Basically mimick the brilliant OS X search/smart folder creation functionality in a way that integrates them together for a smart, multidirectional workflow.

- Please allow a FCPX-style quick filter toggles in Media Pool, i.e. ‘Subclips Only’, ’exclude subclips’, ‘no keywords’ as well as ‘include subfolders’ - to view complete content of a selected root folder including that of its subfolders. I know we can CMD-click folders for the same result but being able to quickly toggle global-behaviour would be most useful.

- Davinci really could use such features as quick panel fullscreen toggle key shortcut that works universally on any panel I hover over, be it the timeline, viewer or media pool i.e. to see all that horizontal rows of data with a hit of a button when needed or all the multitute of tracks on the timeline at once. Trying to find the edge of a panel and dragging it, then dragging it back when done is a completely different ball game and not efficient at all, not to mention - impossible in the case of Media Pool without opening as a new window and even more edge dragging.

- A back/forward buttons for the Media Storage Segment of Media Manager Tab. Sometimes multiple locations have to be juggled back and forth and this would help immensely to quickly return to last viewed folder instead of manually going through the system-tree.

- some of the interface windows i.e. the Archive menu are very small and impossible to enlarge, utilising 5% of total screen estate to convey various information. It's impractical, often frustrating.

- A very small, discreet total present/selected asset count in media pool panel would be helpful, especially when search-filtering for assets, to confirm the right amount comes back.

- In some scenarios I simply don’t want to import or clone an entire massive folder of assets into the project and need to make my preselection decisions at the stage of Media Storage and cloning/importing. It would be useful to be able to make a pre-selection of clips (by quickly flagging or marking them with a key shortcut as pick/rejected) BEFORE importing from Media Storage to Media Pool. This way I can select a bunch of clips that I wish to import from a source folder that contains hundreds I may otherwise not be interested in (i.e. old archives), THEN drag and drop all of the marked/selected clips into the Clone Tool, transferring them into the proper project destination. Right now it’s only possible to copy entire folder which is severely limiting the flexibility of a workflow because it forces me to either do my preselection from the video-laggy OS level or by cloning mountains of data in that folder that I only really want to use 5% of.

- An alternative solution to the above limitation would be to allow for integration of OS X system tags with media storage functionality inside Davinci, allowing me to shortcut-tag clips within Media Storage of the MEDIA tab , then going to OS X finder and being able to rapidly filter a folder containing hundreds of clips for the chosen few I selected, based on those tags (to ingest, move somewhere else manually etc).

- Please add ‘reveal in media pool’ to the right-click context menu for any clip in the Media Storage that has already been imported into the project. It helps to discern which clips are already in-project when selecting what to import.

- On that same note, please add something like a outline or a simple marker onto any clip in Media Storage view that has been already been imported into the project, for the same reason as above. Allow also to toggle-filter the view of a given folder in Media Storage to show only those clips that have NOT yet been imported, again making it easier to quickly discern the current state of things.

- asset relinking window is extremely cumbersome; please implement the usual drag'n'drop system from os x finder to Davinci, for quick location opening instead of the chore of going through constrained system-file tree.

- Could we please get a simpler, smarter dedicated workflows for both keywords and markers? Premiere Pro has the most idiotic, lazy and inconsequential marker workflow implementation, that seems to have been designed by a psychopathic genius whose goal was to make it impossible for anyone to fully and properly utilise the system in any given, meaningful direction all the way through - there’s always a deal-breaking catch somewhere along the way of an efficient workflow when trying to search, view or edit markers in a feature-length type of work. FCPX on the other hand has an amazing and design-smart keyword-based workflow. Between the two examples there are some crucial design lessons to be learned and things to improve upon. Things like ways to quickly apply keyword(s) to single and multiple clips from ANYWHERE in media/edit tabs as well as in-out marker ranges within clips which can be key-worded just as rapidly, perhaps through a quick shortcut hovering pop-up menu (such as the ‘tags’ command in os x finder when shortcut for it is manually set in preferences under ‘tags…’). That not only lets us quickly type keywords without constantly going across screen to advanced metadata panels and ‘apply’ buttons, but also already includes a visible dictionary of ones used specifically in the current project, that we can use for reference, quickly tap on or even just hit a numeric value correlating to it. Following that thought, please can we have an integrated way to create bins for those keywords, rather than painfully creating one for each keyword or sets of keywords one by one. This would be a real paradigm shift in efficient ingesting and logging of footage, and a departure from the old and rusty ways of such lazy, cumbersome and ultimately inconsequential design systems as laid out time and again by the mavericks at Adobe. Adobe Prelude is a prime example of a software that could have been a well thought-out, smart and ultimately very useful tool, but typically for Adobe resulted in frustrating, buggy, semi-baked piece of junk that should make it into university courses case-studies on the subject of good idea/poor design/terrible coding. I am in possession of shareware apps of superior design and build quality than a large number of professional, paid-for Adobe apps.

- ability to link/limit a scope of a smart bin search to a specific area of the Media Pool, for instance to the entire master folder globally, or to selected few of its subfolders only. The latter would not be needed often, but in some cases it is and it cannot be done. UI-wise this could be achieved by dragging and dropping the smart bin onto specific folders (like tagging in os x) to designate its targets, or to add/remove them using a keyword-type list of project folders within the smart bin edit window.

- allow duplicating smart bins, as a base for quickly creating new ones instead of doing it from scratch.

- Allow creating empty smart bin "templates" in power bins, so that I can easily apply same workflows and complex searches between projects.

- a very quick and discreet confirmation that a subclip has been created would be good (i.e. a little 1-second ‘blip’ in the corner of the viewer). 

- Subclips smart bin doesn’t refresh immediately; it takes moving around few folders before it refreshes its content, which is why the above point is all the more useful.

- Allow for batch subclip handle editing.

- allow not only to trim (i.e. reduce) length of selected clips to current playhead position, but also extend it (make clip longer). It can currently be done via “Trim/Roll/End to Playhead” but the Ripple equivalent does not work. All those functions seem to allow is to shorten/trim clips, but only ‘Roll’ works in extending them. I can’t explain this any other way than it being a bug, since it doesn’t seem to make sense UI-wise.

- allow retiming mode (specifically: when slowing clips down) that DOES NOT change clip’s actual length relative to surrounding clips. In other words it neither crops (normal mode) nor ripples (trim mode) neighbouring clip when target clip is being slowed down; instead it’ll loose content (naturally, because of slowing down speed) but it’ll keep the same clip-length on the timeline. Perhaps simply holding down a modifier key like cmd, shift or alt would be the easiest way to achieve that, alternatively changing the speed when in third remaining pointer mode (blade mode) could accomplish that. This would make sense conceptually too, since it will neither move nor ripple, but instead keep the in/out locked (like a ‘cut’).

- the inability to extend / shorten multiple selected clips (i.e. audio and video) at once without first linking them together and making sure ‘linked selection’ is true on top of that is a very baffling design decision to me, which I don’t think makes much sense. If I select a bunch of clips and want to shorten them at once this should really be independent from whether they are pre-linked, since I may simply with to override other linking for a single, tailored operation. Perhaps holding down a modifier to override the default behaviour, or modifying how the current linked toggle behaves could be a simple solution to the issue.

- footage can’t be repositioned in the viewer when using tablet stylus, only with a magic mouse scrolling. Please change to something like shift+drag so it can be done universally with any input device.

- Some issues with png alpha behaviour, some seem to work, others don’t (regardless of alpha settings in Davinci), where in FCPX and Premiere all of the tested clips work flawlessly. Can’t pinpoint the difference between them, must be some settings deep in the png codec, even went as far as reexporting them from photoshop/affinity photo, but still Davinci won’t have them. Strange, this one - couldn’t figure it out.

- glitches-out when grabbing and holding a clip then toogle-zooming-out (shift-z) the timeline to move it long distance across the timeline, preventing it from working.

- Please allow to double-click a timeline clip then shift its range content from within the viewer’s panel scrub, like in Premiere Pro. It’s an extremely useful function and its usage is unique and often beneficial as compared to other workaround methods. The benefit is freely viewing content of the entire clip whilst retaining the exact length constraints of its timeline use.

- Following on that same note, please allow zooming in and out on the viewer’s scrubber using standard timeline zoom in/out keys like in Premiere Pro, it can be very difficult to navigate around longer clips without an ability to zoom in a bit.

- In colour tab, allow changing timeline & clip lanes position to display them in the left side panel (taking some of the gallery/LUT/media pool space) instead of in-between viewer and colour correction tools. Some of us prefer to work on a single monitor setup and - even when using huge super-wide ones like I do - those lanes take precious little vertical space otherwise best utilised for the viewer itself.

- Massive timeline responsiveness drop when a openfx effect is added to a currently displayed clip. Those effects can and should affect playback speed naturally, but they should not affect UI responsiveness to such a degree. It does so pretty dramatically at present, surprisingly even when the actual effect is toggled-off!

- Please remember my IN/OUT range preference when moving from Edit to Deliver workspace, don’t automatically reset it to entire timeline until I specify it myself.

- the curve editor can be toggled off, but not on again when multiple clips are selected: only the last of all selected clips is toggled back on. Also, it would be very useful to have a command to close ALL of curve editor windows across the timeline that may be opened, all at once. Works fine for Re-time.

- Please allow to quickly change the size of individual video/audio tracks by holding a modifier key and dragging mouse/tablet cursor on it, as well as double-tapping them to expand/collapse, similarily to Premiere Pro. Trying to find and grab edges of tracks is very cumbersome and probably a bit of a design anachronism belonging to the past.

- Please consider also a quick toggle hotkey to switch between video and audio track focus, automatically utilising the given timeline space to prioritise one or the other, fitting all video/audio tracks into the allowed space.

- need ability to precision-modify values in attribute boxes (zoom, angle etc) using keys left/right or up/down. Holding alt and dragging isn’t precise enough.

- constant ‘clean’ (no messages or freezes) crashes to desktop when changing and testing new keyboard layout. Not a big deal since once you set your keys you don’t come back to it, but it’s unstable there nevertheless.

- Please add: "check for updates menu key. Even if only to inform me of one being available and opening a download link.

- AVCHD file from Sony FSS is recognised as folder / container only: audio streams being extracted from inside it destabilise Davinci and entire os in seconds, leading to a forced hard reboot. Same works without issues in Premiere Pro, Quicktime Player and VLC player. Please prioritise a fix. I don’t use it myself and and only had to work with it a few times and I know it’s not considered a top- pro format, but ability to open and at the very least transoode it would be good. I had to go to another editing software to do so.

- some issues and freezes when exporting certain combinations of “audio-only". Also a simple mp3 option for small files for client reviews would be very useful.

- Presets panel on the Deliver page uses extremely small screen estate making it a little difficult to use, even when render setting as expanded vertically. Please give them more space.

danielcortez

PostWed Jun 12, 2019 7:51 am

This is the most important update!!! Please Black Magic listen to us!!!!

Please allow a FCPX-style quick filter toggles in Media Pool, i.e. ‘Subclips Only’, ’exclude subclips’, ‘no keywords’ as well as ‘include subfolders’ - to view complete content of a selected root folder including that of its subfolders. I know we can CMD-click folders for the same result but being able to quickly toggle global-behaviour would be most useful.

----

We editors need this function to be more creative. Currently to solve this problem I need to manually create within each bin another bin with a Smart Bin filter to filter the clips of the clips (subclips) at the time of editing to see the best takes of each scene .... I look forward to this update !!!

rienql

PostTue Jul 16, 2019 3:18 pm

On a project where I had some time learning I started to use DaVinci Resolve 15. (Because there IS a deadline I did not take the risk of using 16 beta).
And I must say: I am impressed. Switching between editing, Fusion and Color is really nice and flexible and most things are just intuitive, fast, and smart.

But there are some (amongst others) flaws in the design I think. So here's my two cents on some of them:
(Some of these might be in there, but in that case I haven't found them yet)
Davinci Resolve 15 feature requests
- Media Pool:
- Possibility to automatically update a file (Photoshop file or After Effects Render for instance)
-
- Edit > Bin List
- possibility to sort bins (alphabetically or manual)
- Edit > Timeline
- Reverse Match Frame. If I have clip in the viewer, please show me in the timeline where it is.
- Mixer and Metadata Workspace panels assignable to keystrokes.
- Workspace panel keys Toggle (now it’s only on; e.g, Comand-9 opens Inspector Window. But the request is to be able to press it again and let it close that way.
- Curve Editor in the timeline: Let Shift Z (Zoom to fit) fit the curve in the window. Now you sometimes only see an almost flat line, while it is a curve.
- [bug?] When working with tabbed timeline sometimes the wrong timeline is highlighted. (While in the viewer and in the timeline itself I see the timeline I was expecting).
- pressing the up and down key for navigating to next or previous event (cut) is not consistent. It skips cuts when going to the left, but when going to the right it stops there (or vice versa).
- Switching the Waveform view does only work if the Track Height is 50% or more (of the audio Track Height slider). I’d like to see waveform as I press the Waveform button. So, one should be able to see it in any track heigth.
- Track height is not remembered. When I switch to another timeline and come back to the one I left, the divider between Audio and Video tracks is in the middle again. It acts to dynamic. I’d like it if it stayed the way I left it last time.
- Tabbed timeline order is not remembered. e.g. when I tab 6 timelines, I can reorder them. But the reordering is not remembered when I close and reopen the project.
- When the Video track are in the lowest size without thumbnails (=third Clip View Option), then trimming is hard for clips with keyframes.
- Edit > Inspector Window (and same behaviour across full application):
- feature request: with a field selected increase and decrease are assignable to keystrokes (+,- or arrow up, arrow down, etc)
- feature request: Tab (Shift-Tab) let’s you step to the next (previous) field. Now it steps to somewhere I don’t know.
- If I have clip1 on V1 and an overlaying clip2 on V2 which has a fade in, then I see a fade going from the clip on V1 to the clip on V2. BUT: If I then move the clip from V2 to V1 I see a cross dissolve between the clips (which I expected) but when I Play the Timeline, I see Clip1, then a hard cut to black and a fade in to clip2. I expected to see a crossfade from clip1 to clip 2.
Please fix that!
- Dynamic Zoom - Handles activated: When the file you use with Dynamic zoom is not 16:9, then the green and red dynamic zoom handles are not 16:9 but the aspect of the still. It’s very hard to tell what the output will be then….
So a reference window of the output would be fine. And also a reference window of the actual footage. Because now: When you start the tweaking of the dynamic zooming the ref frame is the size of the still. But as soon as you have changes the red frame, you loose the reference to the edges of the original still. So you won’t be able to tell if you frame you’re red or green frame outside the still (creating black sides).
- Also Dynamic zoom doesn’t take handle-length (clip duration) into consideration when applying crossfades between clips.
- It would be much better if Scale and Position could behave like dynamic zoom. But at this moment that is not working because Position keyframes have lineair behaviour only.
- Deliver:
- Filename must automatically be filled in when selecting a clip. And possibility to alter. Now I have to click Timeline name or Custom Name. But when I click Custom name there’s a blank field. Would be better to just assume the timeline name and make it editable.
- Ability to set a prefix and postfix to the filename
- Batch Export of timelines
- Keyboard Customization: When opening the Keyboard Customization by default ‘Application > File’ is selected under Commands. Could you please set ‘All Commands’ as default? Otherwise the search field will be limited to Application > File.

RowanCloete

PostSat Mar 28, 2020 11:16 am

I cannot +1 this one enough

- Grading versions changes popup confirmations.
Some actions in Resolve are not undoable, like changing grading versions, and this is OK for me, but there are some items in the drop down menu of the Clips thumbnails that can cause irreparable damage if clicked by mistake.
In the same way that the "Delete all versions" option asks for confirmation, these items should ask too:
Copy Remote Grades to Local
Copy Local Grades to Remote
Use Local Grades
Use Remote Grades
Delete Unused Versions

I working with a wacom, and it is really easy to click use local grades in the contextual menu while switching between remote versions. It happens so often enough that along with live save I have project backups enabled just for this reason. When you switch to local grades by accident, and switch back to remote grades, all of timeline shots have defaulted to remote grade version 1. I often get up to remote version 8 when working on long form TV studio shows. Project backups allow me to lose only 10 minutes at most. But still, the fact that one mis-click could destroy many many hours of work is beyond me.

C'mon guys, fix this and add asking for confirmation for all the above.

Return to DaVinci Resolve