Can only afford one "Studio" version -- Resolve or Fusion?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

RCModelReviews

Can only afford one "Studio" version -- Resolve or Fusion?

PostWed Jun 06, 2018 1:47 am

I transitioned from Sony/Magix NLE to Davinci several months ago and have never looked back.

Most of my editing is for YouTube and the "free" versions of Davinci and Fusion do most of what I need but from time to time I bump into the limitations -- especially when I want some tracking options.

Although I'm a successful YouTube creator (a total of more than 100 million views and 350K subscribers between my two channels), money is always an issue and after spending much of this year's budget on new hardware, I only have enough $ left to purchase the studio version of either Davinci *or* the studio version of Fusion.

Now even though in V15, Fusion is tightly integrated to DV, I guess you still need to purchase the studio versions separately so I'd like some feedback from users as to which they'd recommend I spend my NZ$500 on.

The alternative (which I am contemplating) is simply to wait for the new 4K BMD camera that is due out towards the end of the year and, for little more than the cost of both studio versions, I'd also get a kick-ass camera and the studio versions.

Love the software and I definitely want to support BMD with my dollars -- just need some recommendations from other users.

Thanks in advance.
Resolve 18.1 Studio, Fusion 9 Studio
CPU: i7 8700, OS: Windows 10 32GB RAM, GPU: RTX3060
I'm refugee from Sony Vegas slicing video for my YouTube channels.

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

Re: Can only afford one "Studio" version -- Resolve or Fusio

PostWed Jun 06, 2018 7:56 am

If you use Fusion today, and need a Fusion Studio feature, buy Fusion Studio (dongle) and that dongle will also work on DaVinci Resolve 15.

If you don't need something in Fusion Studio today, and would prefer the activation key, purchase DaVinci Resolve Studio.
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

RCModelReviews

PostWed Jun 20, 2018 9:45 am

Just laid out my hard-earned cash for the Fusion dongle via an approved BMD dealer and (when it arrives) will use it with Resolve 15 as well.

Many thanks for the money-saving tip!
Resolve 18.1 Studio, Fusion 9 Studio
CPU: i7 8700, OS: Windows 10 32GB RAM, GPU: RTX3060
I'm refugee from Sony Vegas slicing video for my YouTube channels.

Bethasia

PostSun Jun 24, 2018 1:07 pm

Cool I had the same question. I shall do the same :D
Fusion Studio 17 - Resolve Studio 17. Only major feature missing is talent. Strix B550-F WiFi, Ryzen 5600X, 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200Mhz, RTX2060 GB Super 3X OC

Return to DaVinci Resolve