so many different issues with transitions

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Jim Figurski

so many different issues with transitions

PostFri Jun 08, 2018 7:22 pm

I have project that requires multiple transitions. I use only the cross dissolve. I'm keeping it really simple.

For the first few transitions, I had no problems. Add clip 2 into the timeline, bump it up next to clip 1, drag a cross dissolve and it is perfect. But starting around the 5th or 6th clip, I started having issues with 1.) nothing appearing after dragging the cross dissolve onto the two clips, 2.) the cross dissolve only appearing on the 2nd clip, 3.) a cross dissolve appearing, but the length is incredibly short. I tried the inspector to edit problems #2 and #3 but it is uneditable. For example, for #3, I could not extend the transitions length past 2 frames, etc.

The frustrating part is, these problems all seem very random. I have enough footage in each clip so I know that is not an issue. I've tried pulling the clips back and forth until I see green on each clip then but them up against each other, but the results are sporadic. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. There are tons of tutorials on how to add transitions and it always works for these YT videos. I've read the manual on transitions and still nothing. What am I doing wrong??

Brad Hurley

Re: so many different issues with transitions

PostFri Jun 08, 2018 7:59 pm

Jim Figurski wrote:I have project that requires multiple transitions. I use only the cross dissolve. I'm keeping it really simple.

For the first few transitions, I had no problems. Add clip 2 into the timeline, bump it up next to clip 1, drag a cross dissolve and it is perfect. But starting around the 5th or 6th clip, I started having issues with 1.) nothing appearing after dragging the cross dissolve onto the two clips, 2.) the cross dissolve only appearing on the 2nd clip, 3.) a cross dissolve appearing, but the length is incredibly short. I tried the inspector to edit problems #2 and #3 but it is uneditable. For example, for #3, I could not extend the transitions length past 2 frames, etc.

Is it possible that your computer is underpowered and the GPU can't even manage these multiple cross-dissolves? Maybe post the specs of your system.
Resolve 18 Studio, Mac Pro 3.0 GHz 8-core, 32 gigs RAM, dual AMD D700 GPU.
Audio I/O: Sound Devices USBPre-2

Jim Figurski

PostFri Jun 08, 2018 10:05 pm

interesting theory.

My laptop is quite underpowered.

Version 10.0.15063 Build 15063
Other OS Description Not Available
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name
System Manufacturer Hewlett-Packard
System Model HP EliteBook 8470p
System Type x64-based PC
System SKU D3L44UC#ABA
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3360M CPU @ 2.80GHz, 2801 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date Hewlett-Packard 68ICF Ver. F.43, 7/16/2013
SMBIOS Version 2.7
Embedded Controller Version 66.54
BIOS Mode Legacy
BaseBoard Manufacturer Hewlett-Packard
BaseBoard Model Not Available
BaseBoard Name Base Board
Platform Role Mobile
Secure Boot State Unsupported
PCR7 Configuration Binding Not Possible
Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS
System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 12.0 GB
Total Physical Memory 11.9 GB
Available Physical Memory 9.01 GB
Total Virtual Memory 13.7 GB
Available Virtual Memory 10.5 GB
Page File Space 1.81 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys
Device Encryption Support Reasons for failed automatic device encryption: PCR7 binding is not supported, Hardware Security Test Interface failed and device is not InstantGo, Un-allowed DMA capable bus/device(s) detected, Disabled by policy
Hyper-V - VM Monitor Mode Extensions Yes
Hyper-V - Second Level Address Translation Extensions Yes
Hyper-V - Virtualization Enabled in Firmware No
Hyper-V - Data Execution Protection Yes

Brad Hurley

PostSat Jun 09, 2018 1:03 am

That's probably the root of your problem. This is an i5 business-class laptop and it looks like it has integrated Intel graphics.

The configuration guide for DaVinci Resolve will give you a good idea of the horsepower required to run Resolve: http://documents.blackmagicdesign.com/D ... _Guide.pdf
Resolve 18 Studio, Mac Pro 3.0 GHz 8-core, 32 gigs RAM, dual AMD D700 GPU.
Audio I/O: Sound Devices USBPre-2

Charles Bennett

PostSat Jun 09, 2018 8:23 am

Also, do your video clips have long enough handles to allow a cross fade? If you are butting up the actual start and end of the clips there is nothing to cross fade from and too.
Resolve Studio 19.0b build 20
Dell XPS 8700 i7-4790, 24GB RAM, 2 x Evo 860 SSDs, GTX1060/6GB (551.86 Studio Driver), Win10 Home (22H2), Speed Editor, Faderport mk1, Eizo ColorEdge CS230 + BenQ GW2270 + Samsung SA200, Canon C100mk2, Zoom H2n.

Jim Figurski

PostWed Jun 13, 2018 1:24 am

Charles Bennett wrote:Also, do your video clips have long enough handles to allow a cross fade? If you are butting up the actual start and end of the clips there is nothing to cross fade from and too.

so I think you are correct. I forgot to try the "right click in between the clips and add the cross dissolve". When I tried this, it would tell me I have improper handles and would ask "would you like us to trim it for you?" After accepting, it would then work (though it would be in a different position on the timeline).

Return to DaVinci Resolve