Trim new area on a clip already on timeline

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Alexandre Garacotche

Trim new area on a clip already on timeline

PostSun Jun 10, 2018 9:08 am

Hello,
I was meant to ask this for ages since I am doing this all the time. I'll try to explain.

I have a clip (input/output set) on the timeline with a bunch of other clips all around.
After a while I realize that I need to reset the IO of the clip further away (or before) in the clip (sometimes like minutes away).
So far this is what I do :
First I double click on the clip in the timeline so that it opens up in the clip window and I search the new area of interest with the playhead, manually.
That's fine so far.
Once I found the new area I am interested with, I obviously want to reset the IO around the area where my playhead is.
And here is where I struggle :
- if I reset the I and O with the I and O keys, the clip changes place on the timeline and if not isolated on a single track it overwrites existing material. So I create a new track, slide the clip upon, reset the IO, zoom out go fetch the clip gone further away (or before), move it again back at where it was and reset my zoom. While this works, I feel this is not ideal.
- if I decided instead to use the trim tool, looking at the clip window, I click and drag upon the clip in the timeline so that the range between the IO points comes close to the area I am interest in. That is usually what I do but sometimes when the new area is minutes away, I found myself, sliding and sliding again and again across the width of my screen in need sometimes to zoom out to increase the shift. I feel this is not ideal too.
- Also a third alternative would be :
right clip on the clip in the timeline to "find it in the media pool", then bring the clip in the clip window, look there for area of interest and set the IO points without interfering with the initial clip in the timeline which will then just need to be overwritten. Yes that work too, but that is "when I think about right-clicking instead of double clicking" and also, this requires me to adjust the range of my clip to fit the same range as before, meaning I seems quicker but this process might also present some disadvantages, not talking about the fact this might have changed my media pool source on the left inside of the edit tab.

My question : Is there not a function that could simply nudge the IO range of the clip around where my playhead is ?

I hope I have been clear. Sorry for the long post, but this was tickling me for some time. Let me know. Thanks.
Alexandre

Jean Claude

Re: Trim new area on a clip already on timeline

PostSun Jun 10, 2018 9:40 am

Hi,

If I understood the simplest is that double click on the clip you want to change the I-O

- You activate the Trim Edit Mode-T
1_active Trim_Edit mode T.jpg

- You change the I-O of your clip and automatically Davinci Resolve moves the location of the clips of the track according to the new duration.
2_change i_o.jpg

- you reactive mode A. Finished

(Be careful to monitor the results on the other tracks (sometimes you have to lock them)

(All in manuel... :) )
"Saying it is good, but doing it is better! "
Win10-1809 | Resolve Studio V16.1 | Fusion Studio V16.1 | Decklink 4K Extreme 6G | RTX 2080Ti 431.86 NSD driver! |

Alexandre Garacotche

PostSun Jun 10, 2018 12:34 pm

Hello Jean Claude,

What you are suggesting to do is what I described as being the second method. Thus thanks but it does not answer my question of a better way :

1) double-clic on the timeline clip to make it appear in the clip window.
https://pasteboard.co/HpfeFLr.png

2) search a new area with the playhead (in the clip window, see the position of the PH)
https://pasteboard.co/HpffoUB.png

3) a function that moves the IO range around the playhead, that is what I am looking for.

Thanks

Alexandre Garacotche

PostSun Jun 10, 2018 4:30 pm

I have to come to the conclusion that this feature does not exist and while I think It would not be difficult to implement, that would be a great feature to add to the software. Thanks.
Alex

Jean Claude

PostSun Jun 10, 2018 5:57 pm

There is a solution with I-O converts to duration Marker, next move, next:
and convert duration Marker to I-O.

I'm watching this tomorrow. :)
Win10-1809 | Resolve Studio V16.1 | Fusion Studio V16.1 | Decklink 4K Extreme 6G | RTX 2080Ti 431.86 NSD driver! |

DigiKin

PostSun Jun 10, 2018 9:16 pm

I might be misunderstanding but the Replace Clip function could be what you're looking for. Mark your clip, place your playhead on frame in timeline you want to sync around, Alt+Click clip to find in media pool and load in source viewer, clear your in and out, place playhead on frame to sync with in timeline, press F11/Replace Clip. That will automatically replace clip without changing duration.
Resolve Studio 16(Current) | Windows 10 | Nvidia GTX 970 | i7-4770, 32GB RAM

Lance Braud

PostSun Jun 10, 2018 10:14 pm

I think you are describing a 'slip' operation. If I understand you correctly:
  • select the clip
  • press 't'
  • press ',' to slip the clip to the left, '.' to slip to the right
    slip the clip to its new location
  • press a to get out of trim mode
While you're slipping, the timeline view will show the out point of the clip before the selection and in point of the clip after the selection. The changing frames are the new in and out points of the selection.

If the new I/O is really minutes away, you're probably better off doing a 3-point edit (p 360 in the manual).
Resolve Studio v16.2.3 | Nvidia GTX 1070 | v451.48 | Win10 x64 | AMD TR-1950X 16G RAM

Alexandre Garacotche

PostMon Jun 11, 2018 8:16 am

To DigiKin,

Yes that is it !
It all comes down to the alt+double-click action which I did not know.
It brings up the clip in the clip window from the media pool as opposed to a simple double-click which brings up the occurrence of the clip from the timeline. Therefore IO change does not affect the clip in the timeline.
Then the Replace function can be used and does exactly what I was looking for. I thought about it earlier on but it did not work as I was working on the occurrence of the clip from the timeline.

Many thanks !! That will change my life :)
I'll have to get use to that alt+double-click.

Alexandre

Jean Claude

PostMon Jun 11, 2018 4:38 pm

Yes, it works. Even simpler (I hope):

On the clip that is the TL you do ALT + double click. The clip goes into the source viewer and the I-O is automatically added.

You right click on the TL viewer and you select convert In and Out To duration Marker
1-convert to duration Marjer.jpg

You move (DRAG) the duration Marker to the place you want around your playead viewer:

You right click and you choose:
Convert Duration Marker to I-O
2-new location.jpg

Replace: completed
3-finish.jpg

:)

Alexandre Garacotche

PostFri Jun 22, 2018 9:39 pm

Merci Jean Claude,
This solution seems even more simpler although I don't need the alt-click in that example if I want the clip on the TL to be updated.
The thing is that I don't have "Convert Duration Markers to IO" (Davinci 14)

Thanks.
Alexandre

Return to DaVinci Resolve