Playback issues - Resolve Beta 5

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Robert Jones

Playback issues - Resolve Beta 5

PostFri Jun 15, 2018 1:04 pm

Hello Everyone,

What I am about to explain I will admit it isn't a powerful system, but the inability to just play 1 stream of HD on a empty timeline with no color grading is extreme. Not even a mp3 can play realtime.

Mac Pro 5.1
Quad 2.66 GHZ
24 GB of ECC 1066 MHZ Ram
GT120 ( 2 cards - Slot 1 & 3)
Caldigit HDpro 8TB

Footage in project is 720p 25fps Panasonic HPX170 P2 media

My system Radeon 5770 died on me so I took a quick replacement so I could try to finish of a project due for sunday. On placing the two cards I tried to playback footage and no matter what I place on the timeline it stutters on playback and give between 1 fps - 37fps.

I turned on performance mode, proxy (half resolution), Use optimized media if available (Prores LT) and generated the proxies in the media tab. Playback is still not usable.

I took the exact same footage in to premiere Pro 2018, and everything plays in real-time on the timeline.
And this has been the same with beta 4.

What am I missing?

Greetings,
Robert
Ventura 13.5.2
Resolve 18.6.4 Studio
Radeon RX 580 8192 MB
Mac 5.1 2,66 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon, 32 GB 1333 MHz DDR3
Caldigit Pro HD, 8TB

Tero Ahlfors

Re: Playback issues - Resolve Beta 5

PostFri Jun 15, 2018 1:21 pm

Those GPUs are ancient and will not work. You need a modern, supported GPU.

Robert Jones

PostFri Jun 15, 2018 4:21 pm

Tero Ahlfors wrote:Those GPUs are ancient and will not work. You need a modern, supported GPU.

Hello Tero,

I am aware of that, but my question also asked why can't it even playback an audio file in the timeline.

Premiere Pro starts up on the same hardware and plays the HD footage like a champ, no proxies or anything. I want to use Davinci on this project, and asking these questions might get the developers scratching there heads as to why this is, and/or get them to think about re-writing the code to be able to play more easily on lighter hardware, because if it can't playback a single stream of MP3 on the timeline on this system, then something must really be wrong.

Kind regards,
Robert
Ventura 13.5.2
Resolve 18.6.4 Studio
Radeon RX 580 8192 MB
Caldigit Pro HD, 8TB

Tero Ahlfors

PostFri Jun 15, 2018 4:34 pm

Robert Jones wrote:Premiere Pro starts up on the same hardware and plays the HD footage like a champ, no proxies or anything.

Premiere and Resolve work differently and have different system requirements. Whereas Premiere will work on CPU alone Resolve needs a proper GPU.

Robert Jones wrote:I want to use Davinci on this project, and asking these questions might get the developers scratching there heads as to why this is, and/or get them to think about re-writing the code to be able to play more easily on lighter hardware, because if it can't playback a single stream of MP3 on the timeline on this system, then something must really be wrong.

You don't need mega expensive hardware to run Resolve but your GPUs are almost ten years old and Resolve does a lot of work on a GPU. Having unsupported hardware can have all kinds of issues and if you can't do anything else properly then playing MP3s isn't probably the primary problem on this project.

Jean Claude

PostFri Jun 15, 2018 4:56 pm

Hi Robert,

It's from v14 CUDA Support
viewtopic.php?f=21&t=68574

as Peter say :
As a number of users are upgrading from v11 and v12 to the latest v14.x we wish to remind you that with v14.x CUDA is only supported on NVIDIA GPUs with compute capability 3.0 or higher (Kepler architecture or newer)

You can find a list of cards here which show which version they support.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CUDA

GT120 => Year 2009 (Not even listed in https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CUDA :oops: )

https://www.geforce.com/hardware/deskto ... ifications :?
"Saying it is good, but doing it is better! "
Win10-1809 | Resolve Studio V16.1 | Fusion Studio V16.1 | Decklink 4K Extreme 6G | RTX 2080Ti 431.86 NSD driver! |

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostSat Jun 16, 2018 12:52 am

Resolve 14 and 15 should not run at all on those GPUs in CUDA mode.

It must be using OpenCL, I guess.

But if Resolve is running at all with those GPU's, consider yourself lucky and live with whatever performance you are getting out of it.

You MUST get better a better GPU (you don't need 2) if you want to use Resolve 15.
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

Robert Jones

PostSat Jun 16, 2018 9:45 am

Dwaine Maggart wrote:Resolve 14 and 15 should not run at all on those GPUs in CUDA mode.

It must be using OpenCL, I guess.

But if Resolve is running at all with those GPU's, consider yourself lucky and live with whatever performance you are getting out of it.

You MUST get better a better GPU (you don't need 2) if you want to use Resolve 15.

Thank you for explaining this. Is was that it was a bit confusing to see Premiere Pro run on this syst em without a hitch while Resolve coudn't even playblack a mp3 in the timeline.

The idea is to replace the cards, the card that was in there just burned out.
Ventura 13.5.2
Resolve 18.6.4 Studio
Radeon RX 580 8192 MB
Caldigit Pro HD, 8TB

Robert Jones

PostSat Jun 16, 2018 9:47 am

Jean Claude wrote:Hi Robert,

It's from v14 CUDA Support
viewtopic.php?f=21&t=68574

as Peter say :
As a number of users are upgrading from v11 and v12 to the latest v14.x we wish to remind you that with v14.x CUDA is only supported on NVIDIA GPUs with compute capability 3.0 or higher (Kepler architecture or newer)

You can find a list of cards here which show which version they support.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CUDA

GT120 => Year 2009 (Not even listed in https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CUDA :oops: )

https://www.geforce.com/hardware/deskto ... ifications :?

Thank you for taking the time to shed some light on this. I couldn't figure out why such a huge difference in playback performance.
Ventura 13.5.2
Resolve 18.6.4 Studio
Radeon RX 580 8192 MB
Caldigit Pro HD, 8TB

Robert Jones

PostSun Jun 17, 2018 5:35 am

Tero Ahlfors wrote:
Robert Jones wrote:Premiere Pro starts up on the same hardware and plays the HD footage like a champ, no proxies or anything.

Premiere and Resolve work differently and have different system requirements. Whereas Premiere will work on CPU alone Resolve needs a proper GPU.

Robert Jones wrote:I want to use Davinci on this project, and asking these questions might get the developers scratching there heads as to why this is, and/or get them to think about re-writing the code to be able to play more easily on lighter hardware, because if it can't playback a single stream of MP3 on the timeline on this system, then something must really be wrong.

You don't need mega expensive hardware to run Resolve but your GPUs are almost ten years old and Resolve does a lot of work on a GPU. Having unsupported hardware can have all kinds of issues and if you can't do anything else properly then playing MP3s isn't probably the primary problem on this project.

Hello Tero,

Thank you for the detailed explaination. Didin't really realize that resolve basically does all the work on the GPU, no matter what it is.

Kind regards,
Robert
Ventura 13.5.2
Resolve 18.6.4 Studio
Radeon RX 580 8192 MB
Caldigit Pro HD, 8TB

Return to DaVinci Resolve