How to relink projects?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

extravert

How to relink projects?

PostFri Jun 15, 2018 10:15 pm

I had to reinstall windows which wiped out all my apps. I installed Resolve 15 but I can't figure out how to get my projects to load. All the media is on an external drive that hasn't changed, and I think my projects are backed up as well, but any attempt to load the Project.db file fails. I was using resolve 14 before, but can't find a download on their website for that version to see if that fixes it. Hoping there is a simple solution that I am missing.

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

Re: How to relink projects?

PostSat Jun 16, 2018 12:45 am

Did you have a Resolve database backup?

Do you have any project export .drp files from your projects?

Do you have a backup copy of the original C:\ProgramData\Blackmagic Design\DaVinci Resolve\Support\Resolve Disk Database folder?

You mentioned a Project.db file. Where is that at? If it's in a folder, and that folder is in a Projects folder with other folders that also have Project.db files in them, that would perhaps be your original Disk database projects folder. And you could copy those folders that have Project.db files in them, into the C:\ProgramData\Blackmagic Design\DaVinci Resolve\Support\Resolve Disk Database\Resolve Projects\Users\guest\Projects folder of your new Resolve install. And when you launch Resolve, they should appear in the Project Manager list.
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

extravert

PostSat Jun 16, 2018 1:56 am

Copying the original disk database projects to that location worked! I have never manually backed up the projects, and this little episode shows I need to learn more about project saving and backup. Never would have guessed that the user files were saved among the app data. Thanks so much for the response.

Jack Daniel Stanley

PostSun Jun 24, 2018 11:32 pm

Hi Peter,

I had a similar problem. I'm on a Mac though (High Sierra 10.13.4).

Originally I had specified a custom location to store the auto backups:
Local Hard Drive/Users/jackdanielstanley/_resolve_projects_y_databases/project title_db/resolve_auto_backups
But I couldn't find the backups (Project.db) anywhere in Resolve, even though they showed up in the folder above.

So I copied to the location you specified, translated into Mac-anese:
Local Hard Drive /Library/Application Support/Blackmagic Design/DaVinci Resolve/Resolve Disk Database/Resolve Projects/Users/guest

When I open Resolve, all of the folders appear in the Project Manager, but appear to be empty.
Hopefully I provided enough info.

Thanks in advance for any help!
2018 Intel MacBookPro ~ Radeon Pro 560X, 4GB ~ Intel UHD Graphics 630, 1.5GB ~ 32GB 2400MHz DDR4
Blackmagic eGPU ~ Radeon Pro 580, 8GB
External SSD1:Media & Proxies ~ External SSD2:Cache
RESOLVE:18.6.4 ~ macOS:14.1.2

Return to DaVinci Resolve