Editing timelines together

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Alexandre Garacotche

Editing timelines together

PostSun Jun 17, 2018 5:54 pm

Hello,

Seems like a dummy question, but I have use one timeline for each sequence of my film. I have created another timeline to put together the film, importing timelines into the main one. My question :

Each timeline contains 8 audio tracks, when importing them onto the main timeline, only 2 tracks is imported.
I could not find the equivalent of the "clip attribute" contextual menu like I have for clips and where I can chose the number of audio track to be imported.

This is possible right ?
Thanks
Alexandre

georgekg

Re: Editing timelines together

PostSun Jun 17, 2018 6:00 pm

I'm not sure about this, but try with this workaround. Create master timeline with 8 empty audio tracks, then import those two timelines and see what will happend.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk
25 years in editing. On DR since v14

ASRock Steel Legend Z790
i7 13700k
64GB DDR5 5200
NVIDIA RTX 3090 24GB
Work: Firecuda 530 Star Wars Mandalorian 2TB
Cache: Firecuda 530 Star Wars Mandalorian 1TB
Render: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD

Alexandre Garacotche

PostSun Jun 17, 2018 6:50 pm

georgekg wrote:I'm not sure about this, but try with this workaround. Create master timeline with 8 empty audio tracks, then import those two timelines and see what will happend.

Yes I have tried that. All my timelines have the same structure.

Andrew Hassenruck

PostSun Jun 17, 2018 7:18 pm

It may have mixed the 8 to 2. Have you tried selecting all clips then cmd c to copy then cmd v to paste into the new timeline. If it has mixed down then I have found ‘Nesting ‘ to be very unreliable in Resolve.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Version 18 studio
Macbook pro M1 max 64 gb ram
Mac OS 12.6
Cutting long-form documentaries and short film portraits

John Paines

PostSun Jun 17, 2018 7:50 pm

When you drag the timeline from the media pool or the source viewer into the master timeline, hold down "ctrl". Otherwise, the second timeline will be nested inside the first one. With "ctrl" depressed, the timeline will be decomposed to its original tracks.

Alexandre Garacotche

PostMon Jun 18, 2018 9:11 am

John Paines wrote:When you drag the timeline from the media pool or the source viewer into the master timeline, hold down "ctrl". Otherwise, the second timeline will be nested inside the first one. With "ctrl" depressed, the timeline will be decomposed to its original tracks.

Okay, I did not know this short-cut (Cmd on MacOS).
Although, this is a kind of Copy and Paste, there is no relationship anymore with what happens inside the imported timeline, which is a bit disappointing. I guess this is what I ask, but an option to actually decompose only the audio might have been great. Or maybe what I am asking does not make much sense.

The thing is that I used to mix my stems in another software, so while I don't mind my image to be compounded, I like to keep my audio decomposed until the end. I guess I should start using fairlight :)

Thanks anyway, I learnt something

Cary Knoop

PostMon Jun 18, 2018 2:46 pm

Like shared nodes, it would be great to have shared (nested) tiimelines.
Perhaps something for Release 16.

Return to DaVinci Resolve