Lut Browser Suggestions

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

robmbrown

Lut Browser Suggestions

PostSun Jun 17, 2018 10:18 pm

Hello I've been trying out the new LUT browser and I'm glad to see this in there but I have to say I think it could be set up to where it's a lot easier to work with. First can the skimmer function be turned off? When doing this I'll have already found the frame I want to evaluate and with this skimmer I have to continually re-find the frame I want to see every time I preview a new lut. What if my shot is 5 mins or longer? That's a lot of extra work.

Then I'm finding I hover over and it doesn't update so I have to move it back and forth for it to activate.

Then the default example frame is pretty much useless since there's a good chance you're using log or something.

Also the way it is now I have to look to the left find my lut, skim to my frame, look to the right on my broadcast monitor, look back to the left find my next lut and frame, look to the right, left, right, left, right...

Here's a way that would be a lot less aggravating. Park on a frame you want to evaluate, open the browser and open your lut folder. Hit one button that then creates a thumbnail of your parked frame for every lut in that folder. Then you click on one lut and it comes up on the broadcast monitor and then by using the arrow keys you can go through them one by one without ever having to look back at Resolve until you find one you like and then you can drag it on or save it or whatever. Right now to be honest it really feels like I'm wrestling the computer to get it to work when I should be focused on what the color looks like.

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

Re: Lut Browser Suggestions

PostMon Jun 18, 2018 1:42 am

Take a look at view, split screen, selected luts.
3 dot option menu turns live lut preview on and off.
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

Dmytro Shijan

PostMon Jun 18, 2018 6:36 am

Yep, arrow up down or simple mouse hover in browser to preview LUT on existing frame would be nice. Similar to ALT+hover when navigate LUT menu. Live LUT Preview scroller seems very buggy and crashes Resolve very often.
I also posted similar suggestions for LUT browser here viewtopic.php?f=32&t=75340
BMMCC/BMMSC Rigs Collection https://bmmccrigs.tumblr.com
My custom made accessories for BMMCC/BMMSC https://lavky.com/radioproektor/

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostMon Jun 18, 2018 8:57 am

Dmitry Shijan wrote:Yep, arrow up down or simple mouse hover in browser to preview LUT on existing frame would be nice. Similar to ALT+hover when navigate LUT menu. Live LUT Preview scroller seems very buggy and crashes Resolve very often.
I also posted similar suggestions for LUT browser here viewtopic.php?f=32&t=75340

Have you posted your logs for these lut browser crashes?

Dmytro Shijan

PostMon Jun 18, 2018 9:16 am

Resolve send few automatic crash reports.
It usually happened when i scroll live LUT preview with 4.6K DNG single test frames downscaled to HD timeline.
It also may be due my outdated Mac OS version 10.11.6
BMMCC/BMMSC Rigs Collection https://bmmccrigs.tumblr.com
My custom made accessories for BMMCC/BMMSC https://lavky.com/radioproektor/

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostMon Jun 18, 2018 9:31 am

We priortise QA on the min OS version so may not have looked at this yet unless current OS also has reports.

Return to DaVinci Resolve