Reference Manual Index

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

jerryemery

Reference Manual Index

PostMon Jun 18, 2018 10:20 pm

Just started using Resolve and watched the beginners tutorial. Is there an index to the reference manual so that I don't have to spend 30 minutes listening to the tutorial every time I need an answer to a simple question.

Brad Hurley

Re: Reference Manual Index

PostTue Jun 19, 2018 12:22 am

There's a fairly detailed table of contents in the front. You can always use control-F when viewing the PDF to find terms you're looking for; that's a pretty simple alternative to an index unless you printed out all 1,346 pages of it.
Resolve 18 Studio, Mac Pro 3.0 GHz 8-core, 32 gigs RAM, dual AMD D700 GPU.
Audio I/O: Sound Devices USBPre-2

jerryemery

PostMon Jul 16, 2018 6:59 pm

The failure to have and index will mean that I probably will not use Resolve, even though it is a better program than Movavi. I still use the index to the reference manual for Circuit Maker from 1998, a program I've used extensively, for the simple reason that I don't have a photographic memory but I know where to find answers, in an index. The failure of developers to create an index is the greatest obstacle and I don't know why the newer programs fail at this vital detail. Too bad, this seemed a nice program.

Jim Simon

PostMon Jul 16, 2018 11:49 pm

The Find feature in Reader servers as the Index.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

rick.lang

PostTue Jul 17, 2018 6:38 am

I bring manuals into iBooks on the Mac and iDevices. Searching in iBooks may be better than anything you have used as you can see every instance with one Find rather than having to hit Next.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rick Lang

Brad Hurley

PostTue Jul 17, 2018 12:30 pm

jerryemery wrote: The failure of developers to create an index is the greatest obstacle and I don't know why the newer programs fail at this vital detail. Too bad, this seemed a nice program.

I work as an editor of big scientific and technical reports, and I can tell you that in the nearly 20 years I've been doing this I've never had to create an index. Indexes are useful for documents that will be available in print only, but most user manuals are published online or distributed as PDFs, and the search function makes an index obsolete. I recognize that they're not obsolete for you, but this is the way things are going.

I'm afraid you're going to encounter this more and more frequently. Creating an index is labor-intensive and subjective, whereas using the find function in a PDF reader or e-book reader is comprehensive and immediate. User manuals are typically updated with each major new version of software, which means the index would have to be updated as well, an expensive proposition for the software company with limited return on investment since most people don't miss having an index, they just learn how to use the find command in a PDF or e-book.
Resolve 18 Studio, Mac Pro 3.0 GHz 8-core, 32 gigs RAM, dual AMD D700 GPU.
Audio I/O: Sound Devices USBPre-2

Return to DaVinci Resolve