Audio levels wrong when rendering as Individual Clips

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

MarkStead

Audio levels wrong when rendering as Individual Clips

PostTue Jun 19, 2018 2:00 pm

I've experienced a problem with the audio levels when an audio track is rendered as individual clips, and with nested timelines.

I'm running Resolve 14.3.0.014 on Windows 10.

To reproduce the problem I created a stereo wav file (32 bit) with a test tone in each channel.
I loaded this into Resolve, and created a timeline (A) containing this audio track.
I then created a second timeline (B) containing timeline A.

I then exported each of these timelines using these settings:
  • Render: Individual Clips
  • Format: Wave
  • Codec: Linear PCM
  • Channels: 2
  • Bit Depth: 32
  • Render one track per channel: No

The output of Timeline A looks like the original source media. However Timeline B is louder by around 6dB. It also fades-in, and is short by around 0.04 seconds (though I did the entire timeline).
Rendering as Single Clip (Main 1 Stereo) does not exhibit the problem with the audio levels, though one export has the fade-in.

This image is from Audacity and shows Timeline A at the top, and Timeline B at the bottom. The audio is 1 second long, this is just highlighting the start where the fade-in occurs.
AudioWaveforms.png
Image from Audacity showing Timeline A at the top, and Timeline B at the bottom
AudioWaveforms.png (35.77 KiB) Viewed 2449 times

I cannot attach the wav files, but I believe the problem should be easily reproducible.

Charles Bennett

Re: Audio levels wrong when rendering as Individual Clips

PostTue Jun 19, 2018 3:49 pm

Rendering individual clips retains the original clip audio, not the timeline audio.
Resolve Studio 19.0b build 20
Dell XPS 8700 i7-4790, 24GB RAM, 2 x Evo 860 SSDs, GTX1060/6GB (551.86 Studio Driver), Win10 Home (22H2), Speed Editor, Faderport mk1, Eizo ColorEdge CS230 + BenQ GW2270 + Samsung SA200, Canon C100mk2, Zoom H2n.

MarkStead

PostWed Jun 20, 2018 11:55 am

Thanks for the reply, and specifically for giving me a bit more insight to Resolve.

For what it's worth, I had not modified the audio in the timeline - in this test scenario.
Secondly both audio tracks were exported as Individual Clips - so should therefore both "retain the original clip audio".

Charles Bennett

PostWed Jun 20, 2018 5:03 pm

Mark I have just rendered an individual clip and brought it back into Resolve placing it side by side with the original. No problem with the audio, it is identical in every way to the original clip. So, not sure what is going on.
Resolve Studio 19.0b build 20
Dell XPS 8700 i7-4790, 24GB RAM, 2 x Evo 860 SSDs, GTX1060/6GB (551.86 Studio Driver), Win10 Home (22H2), Speed Editor, Faderport mk1, Eizo ColorEdge CS230 + BenQ GW2270 + Samsung SA200, Canon C100mk2, Zoom H2n.

MarkStead

PostThu Jun 21, 2018 11:55 am

Charles, thanks for looking at this. Can you try with nested timelines? This was the case where the levels were louder.

I just tried it again using a (perhaps more conventional) 24bit wav file as the source audio, and the same for the delivered output.
The B (nested timeline) exhibits the same problems (levels, fade-in and truncation). Timeline A was again a copy of the original audio - as expected.

Marga.visual

PostMon Oct 18, 2021 12:20 pm

I also encountered the same problem in exporting "Individual clips". The solution I found is as follows:

- Insert a marker at each cut in timeline
- Merge all clips into a compound clip
- Cut the compound clip again at the markers

It is not a comfortable solution but it works.

Return to DaVinci Resolve