XML Customization

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Austin Piwinski

XML Customization

PostTue Jun 19, 2018 4:04 pm

Guys,

I want my life to be easy, and XML's just don't make it that way. I have had so many problems using them, I essentially think its easier to replace ungraded source files with graded source files from Resolve. However, if you guys have any advice on these issues I'm having, then XML's might be a good option.

1. My clips go blank: randomly resolve and final cut won't export clips, and some come back blank. Not the biggest issue, I can grade the 2-3 mistakes in final cut.

2. Retiming: Upon exporting back to final cut, my retiming/speed ramping in numerous clips becomes messed up. As in my whole clip will go from being normal speed with ramping at the beginning and end of a clip to the whole clip being a universal speed.

3. Stabilization: Stabilization is not transferred from Final Cut to Resolve, and thus is not there when it is returned back to Final Cut. When I do try and use Resolve's stabilization, it zooms in on the first frame of every clip, then continues to stabilize, but every first frame of every clip is messed up.

4. Effects/Masking: My masking for certain clips is not transferred from Final Cut to Resolve, I am not sure why Roundtripping doesn't transfer effects.

If you guys could offer pointers to any of these that would be great! I am using XML 1.7 on 14.3 Resolve and 10.4.3 on Final Cut X.

JPOwens

Re: XML Customization

PostTue Jun 19, 2018 5:26 pm

Austin Piwinski wrote:1. My clips go blank: randomly resolve and final cut won't export clips, and some come back blank. Not the biggest issue, I can grade the 2-3 mistakes in final cut.

2. Retiming: Upon exporting back to final cut, my retiming/speed ramping in numerous clips becomes messed up. As in my whole clip will go from being normal speed with ramping at the beginning and end of a clip to the whole clip being a universal speed.

3. Stabilization: Stabilization is not transferred from Final Cut to Resolve, and thus is not there when it is returned back to Final Cut. When I do try and use Resolve's stabilization, it zooms in on the first frame of every clip, then continues to stabilize, but every first frame of every clip is messed up.

4. Effects/Masking: My masking for certain clips is not transferred from Final Cut to Resolve, I am not sure why Roundtripping doesn't transfer effects.

The absolute easiest route is to abandon Final Cut.

1. Random loss of media is not a reproducible error. Usually it's a memory, storage, path variable or codec issue.

2. Speed ramping is a completely different filter/data remap engine between applications. Problem since always. Some NLEs have made attempts to share calculations, and there is an option in the Project Settings to try to emulate the source editor's remapping. Simplest possible strategy is to "bake" your re-timed clip and treat it as a new clip, re-conform it and life goes on.

3. Stabilization is completely alien as a filter between most applications and Resolve. Same strategy as #2.

4. By "masking" do you mean "cropping?" Resolve can cope with most "transition" clip operations, but FX filters are usually proprietary and not distributed among manufacturers. Even in an English-language forum, I as a reader am not completely sure what the instruction means. Crop, geometry, zoom, &c. are transmitted in XML, but there is an elective option to either use or ignore them. In the edit page inspector, there is a check box to apply or ignore. This will affect the export. Also be aware that scaling is applied in different ways in Resolve that are usually in conflict with NLEs, which do not have the same "input" re-sizing options, so in all cases, a "resize for current resolution" will have different outcomes.

jPo, CSI

Return to DaVinci Resolve