Arranging windows and multi monitor setup?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Karel Voners

Arranging windows and multi monitor setup?

PostThu Jun 21, 2018 5:55 pm

Installed de beta of Resolve 15 on my workstation.

I use Premiere with 3 monitors. 1 to display the edit as a monitor, Second for timeline and source viewer, third (vertically) for all my bins and effects panels.

Tried resolve but can't get full screen playback on my monitor, do I need to buy resolve hardware for this?

Also can't rearrange any of the windows, is this something inherent to resolve? I like to have the flexibility to work with my vertical monitor...

Thanks!
K.
i9-12900 - MSI PRO Z690-A - 32GB RAM DDR5 4800Mhz - 1070ti 516.94 - 970PRO nvme - 7x 2TB RAID - Areca 1222 - Mellanox Connectx3 10GBe - Tascam 2x2 USB interface - ACER BM320 10bit 4K monitor - Win 10 19045.3448

Resolve Studio, Decklink 4K, Pocket OG

JPOwens

Re: Arranging windows and multi monitor setup?

PostThu Jun 21, 2018 6:04 pm

Karel Voners wrote:can't get full screen playback on my monitor, do I need to buy resolve hardware for this?
Also can't rearrange any of the windows, is this something inherent to resolve? I like to have the flexibility to work with my vertical monitor...

Resolve hardware is how you deploy a "third" monitor -- although we would prefer to refer to it as the "Grade Display."

Windows are re-sizeable, and display of certain UI panes is optional, but the overall arrangement is locked. A dedicated vertical bin is probably a non-starter.

jPo, CSI

carsonjones

PostTue Aug 14, 2018 11:38 pm

Thought I would chime in here with the same request as the OP. I've got full Adobe RGB gamut 10 bit calibrated 4K displays (i1Pro calibrated) and my system runs three GTX 1080's. If I understand this correctly I can't use one of my displays as a dedicated monitor (or simply full screen viewer) without purchasing a peripheral card? This means I lose a display for the rest of my production work??? Or I have to unplug it and then plug it in to my other GPU???

This is ridiculous IMO and I would love to know the logic and reasoning behind this in the modern age of video editing for the internet? Not going to broadcast just the web and phones and general purpose advertising. Why hasn't BM added this feature to Resolve 15? To require separate hardware in order to view our video work / grading work on a second display at full screen is bordering on insane. There I've said it.

Basically provide users with the same sort of UI / Viewer functionality as Adobe PP/AE and a huge portion of your user base would be ecstatic.

FOLLOW UP: Reading this again I think I should clarify what I'm after... I would like the option to activate a full screen 'viewer' on my second display whenever needed. Don't need a true 'monitor'... just a 'viewer'.

Marc Wielage

PostWed Aug 15, 2018 8:06 am

carsonjones wrote:Thought I would chime in here with the same request as the OP. I've got full Adobe RGB gamut 10 bit calibrated 4K displays (i1Pro calibrated) and my system runs three GTX 1080's. If I understand this correctly I can't use one of my displays as a dedicated monitor (or simply full screen viewer) without purchasing a peripheral card?

That is correct.

Read page 1885 of the Resolve 15 manual: "Limitations When Grading With the Viewer on a Computer Display." This goes into some detail why you cannot accurately monitor directly from the computer and operating system. You have to have a color-managed output, like one from a Blackmagic display card, preferably on a calibrated external Rec709 display.

I know of many Avid editors that use two displays for GUI and a third giant "hero" display just for the final Viewing display for clients. For example, here's award-winning editor Eddie Hamilton and the system he used for one of the Mission:Impossible films...

Every big show I've ever worked on has had variations of this approach. The third monitor as far as I know always came from an add-on card. The advantage of using a color-managed output is that you can calibrate the monitor with test signals and know that what you're seeing is actually what was shot (assuming the editing program itself hasn't changed the look).
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

carsonjones

PostWed Aug 15, 2018 12:53 pm

I'll reiterate my thoughts from the other thread...

https://forum.blackmagicdesign.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=77838&p=430167#p430167

Seems to me that we have a 'worlds colliding' situation here. I'm from the world of retouching, compositing, CGI, and now video. I've been calibrating my displays accurately for a very long time now. I trust that what I'm seeing on my display is accurate based on the calibration and verification (Xrite). Also, any video work I'm doing is for online / mobile viewing. Frankly I'd prefer to put my video in the Adobe RGB 1998 world and not in the Rec 709 world but let's roll with Rec 709 if need be.

So... my calibrated displays show me accurate colours in virtually every other app I use (including within the OS) and some Resolve users seem to think it's impossible for a modern graphics card / modern OS / and modern app / and calibrated system to show me accurate colour of a video in a 'viewer' that doesn't require extra hardware or a dedicated monitor. Add to this the idea that I would like the choice to not care about 'The only way to correctly color footage is to get it out of the OS path' approach. I don't come from the traditional grading background and frankly just want the option to place a full screen 'viewer' (not monitor) on my second display. Why so much push-back about this? I get it... some people and likely BM feel that the only accurate way to grade is with a dedicated monitor running through a separate output card. I'm not going to disagree if it will put that argument to bed. I'll say it again and again and again... I would like the option to have a full screen viewer on a second or third or fourth, etc. display.

Return to DaVinci Resolve