delivering audio to sound engineer

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Wouter Van Der Schueren

delivering audio to sound engineer

PostFri Jun 22, 2018 3:09 pm

So yeah.. roundtripping audio to ProTools is a mess. It's probably just me but honestly I can't be bothered with it anymore so:

I wanted to ask if it is common practise to deliver individual full length audio tracks to the engineer. For example:

track 1 (mono): boom1
track 2 (mono): boom2
track 3 (mono): boom3
track 4 (mono): lav1
track 5 (mono): lav2
track 6 (mono): lav3
track 7 (stereo): on_set_reference_mix
track 9 (stereo): sound fx_temporary (has to be replaced reworked by sound engineer anyway)
track 10 (stereo) music_temporary (has to be replaced reworked by sound engineer anyway)

So obviously, I'll have to make sure to take care of the vocal montage.. no cutting off voices short, using cross fades where necessary, etc... since there won't be any handles for the sound engineer to work with.

I'm going to try it out for a project and see how it goes, but if anyone would like to comment, feel free!

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

Re: delivering audio to sound engineer

PostSat Jun 23, 2018 6:18 am

The ProTools export option will deliver source audio stems and an AAF for protools to conform. Have u tried that with v14.3 or v15b5?
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

Wouter Van Der Schueren

PostSat Jun 23, 2018 2:37 pm

Yes I've tried it. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't... some clips just didn't link.

Ideally it would also be nice if the audio file metadata was read correctly... track names don't show correctly... when exporting the audio clips, the metadata is also lost..

So then you think to yourself: alright, no problem I'll just export an AAF from the timeline and guess what? The audio clips inherit the name of the video clip they were synced to...

So yeah...

Ideally I would just want to give my sound engineer the ability to link to the original sound files, the ones that were created by the recording device.

Is that really such a hard thing to do?

I think most people don't really care about fades and effects... that's a job for the audio peeps.

You just hand them an audio master of the picture lock edit as a reference and they recreate and improve it...

Wouter Van Der Schueren

PostSun Jun 24, 2018 11:15 pm

Oh lol.

Even stems are impossible to render from Resolve.

This is what my engineer sends me:

Audio works, but no visual waveforms.

EDIT:

Tried the usual AAF Protools delivery... set audio doesn't sync properly, the rest does.

Resolve doesn't render the set audio properly.

This set audio came from a Zaxcom recorder, imported into Resolve.
Video comes from an Atomos Shogun (DNxHD). Timecode of the video was changed with Tentacle software, no re-encoding.

In Resolve the recorder audio and and video were synced based on timecode. Seems to work fine so far. No issues with that.

When I import a clip in the the timeline, 3 mono tracks are created. The video track has the original file name whereas the audio shows the original file name and the metadata from the first track (channel). In this case it is called BoomMKH416. Track 2 is named TX and Track 3 is named Mix. However, this is what Resolve does:

No way to change it.

And then I export the Protools AAF...

and in Protools, this happens:

So yeah...

Apparently, Media Composer can sync audio/video based on timecode without scrambling the metadata.. But I don't think Resolve is going to be able to create a proper AAF from that either. I've never ever been able to get a properly working AAF with camera/recorder audio...

I don't know why that is...

Return to DaVinci Resolve