Blur Text

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Zak_Fenning

Blur Text

PostFri Jun 22, 2018 3:09 pm

Text created in Resolve doesn't work with video effects, and importing text pngs from Illustrator results in jagged edges.
I'm trying to recreate a glowing text effect I originally built in PP (Top layer: text. Bottom layer: text blurred.)

This is totally impossible within Resolve itself. Fusion, sure, but I don't want to go to Fusion for text effects, it's overkill.

Currently in the colour tab Resolve views text as a pure white video the same size as your frame surrounded by nothing, so blurring blurs... the white video, introducing a grey smudged effect to the text. To blur the text I had to create the text and blur in Illustrator, bring them in as pngs and live with it.

Even then the text appears jagged within Resolve and exporting. Alpha is set to 'straight', resolution is high enough, Resolve just cannot handle this well. It needs a proper text editor that works with video effects as expected. Insane workarounds, or jumping to Fusion are no substitute for time. Titles take seconds to create in Premiere, Resolve... I love it, but it takes far too long to get titles to work, and any time a client requests a change I have to dance around programs. Resolve is going to be the absolute best one stop shop for film making, please help it get there dev team. The small stuff is the big stuff.

Thank you for reading.

Resolve 15.0.0B.037. Windows 10 Pro 10.0.17134
Intel i7 6850
64GB ram
Gigabyte GA-X99P-SLI mobo
GTX 1080ti

John Paines

Re: Blur Text

PostFri Jun 22, 2018 3:20 pm

Try creating a compound clip of the title, which you should be able to blur in the Color page. As of v15, compound clips retain alpha channels (but not 14).

roger.magnusson

PostFri Jun 22, 2018 3:34 pm

Zak_Fenning wrote:Text created in Resolve doesn't work with video effects, and importing text pngs from Illustrator results in jagged edges.
I'm trying to recreate a glowing text effect I originally built in PP (Top layer: text. Bottom layer: text blurred.)

This is totally impossible within Resolve itself. Fusion, sure, but I don't want to go to Fusion for text effects, it's overkill.

Try this:
  • On the Edit page, add a Title on a track above the video
  • Right click the title and select New Compound Clip...
  • In the Inspector for the compound clip, set the Composite Mode to something suitable like Add or Screen
  • On the Color page, select the compound clip, right click an empty place in the node area and select Add Alpha Output
  • Connect the node alpha output to the clip alpha output
  • Add any effect you want
The title text is still editable on the Edit page of course, right click the compound clip and select Open in Timeline

Edit: John is a faster typer than I am. ;)

Zak_Fenning

PostFri Jun 22, 2018 8:25 pm

Thank you very much for the replies! I'd tried compound clips with alpha output before but must have used the wrong composite mode. Had no idea you could Open in Timeline :O Genius!

I've had a massive headache thinking I needed to go buy Premiere, thank you for clearing it! I've cut shorts, long form, and a feature on Resolve and only just come across this, very happy it's been resolved (forgive the pun) so quickly by the brilliant user base here!

Return to DaVinci Resolve