Program not starting

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Browneye9999

Program not starting

PostWed Jun 27, 2018 9:38 pm

Hello,

I had recently installed DaVinci Resolve 15 Beta for evaluation and at the time the program started okay. Yesterday I went to go back and do some more testing, however the program would not start. I uninstalled and reinstalled the program with the same results.

When I start the program I get some splash screens then nothing after that.

I have attached the log dump from the program.

Many thanks

Edit: Sorry should have added Windows 10 PC, latest windows upgrades.
Attachments
DaVinci-Resolve-logs-20182806_ 71843.zip
(72.19 KiB) Downloaded 192 times

Browneye9999

Re: Program not starting

PostThu Jun 28, 2018 11:17 am

And the system.nfo file attached as well.
Attachments
system.zip
(115.77 KiB) Downloaded 146 times

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Jun 29, 2018 12:54 am

Please update to this NVIDIA driver and see what happens:

http://www.nvidia.com/download/driverRe ... 4855/en-us
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

Browneye9999

PostFri Jun 29, 2018 11:50 pm

Hello Dwaine,

Unfortunately this has not solved the problem. The program does not get past the splash screen.

Thanks

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostSat Jun 30, 2018 12:32 am

Can you provide an updated log and NFO file?

Do you have more than 1 display connected? If so, just connect 1 display and give it a try.
Dwaine Maggart

Browneye9999

PostSat Jun 30, 2018 3:57 am

New Logs and .NFO file attached.

It is a single display only.

Thanks
Attachments
DaVinci-Resolve-logs-20183006_135541.zip
(75.81 KiB) Downloaded 137 times
system.zip
(118.23 KiB) Downloaded 126 times

Browneye9999

PostTue Jul 03, 2018 8:12 am

Hello,

Are there any more ideas from this latest data I have sent in??

Many thanks

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Jul 03, 2018 6:00 pm

Not really. There are no Windows error logs for the recent launches.

There are no crash dumps in the Resolve logs.

What exactly is happening when you launch Resolve?

You mentioned you get some splash screens and nothing after that? What happens then? Does it hang? go back to the desktop? Or what?

Is Resolve still running in Task Manager? If so, how long have you waited before killing it, it you are killing it?
Dwaine Maggart

Browneye9999

PostWed Jul 04, 2018 1:19 pm

Heres what is happening:-

-Double click on Resolve Icon on Desktop
-Program splash screen appears
splash.JPG
The Splash Screen
splash.JPG (59.36 KiB) Viewed 12424 times

-The Splash screen shows some text saying it is loading different parts of the program. The last status that is on the splash screen before it disappears is "Loading Fairlight Page"
-The Splash screen then just disappears. Windows is still working, it goes back to the desktop.
-There is no program Icon on the Windows Task Bar.
-In the Task Manager under Background processes shows the program entry. There is no Davinci resolve entry under 'Apps' in the task manager. It shows around 14% CPU use.
task manager.JPG
Task Manager
task manager.JPG (19.68 KiB) Viewed 12424 times

-The resolve background app will sit in the background processes area until it is killed off. I have left it for hours and nothing happens.
-If you double click on the icon on the desktop to relaunch the program while the program is in the background processes area nothing happens, no splash screenwill appear.

Thats about what happens.

Thanks for your time.

Browneye9999

PostFri Jul 06, 2018 12:04 pm

Hello,

Just to add to the information, Beta 6 did not improve the situation, the program just does not start.

Thanks

wireless112

PostSat Jul 07, 2018 12:37 am

I had something similar that would happen, it turned out to be related to my multi monitor utility. It didn't like resolve at all. Resolve actually starts, you just can't see it. If you move the mouse around you will likely see it change. For me I had to turn on a bunch of compatibility settings in Actual Multi Monitors to get everything running right.

I haven't actually done alot with Resolve in a while both due to software glitches and other things have captivated my time.

But then I have AMD, so your issue may indeed be purely GPU if you don't have any multi monitor utilities installed (which having a single monitor, you shouldn't). Or maybe driver related, if you have any program that does overlays over other programs, check it's settings.

That's the joy of being a windows user, keep experimenting till it works....

If this is an upgrade install, you may have to do a deep clean. Doing so can be dangerous. Refer to IT experts if you have no IT experience. The less dangerous steps would be 1. back up to a folder not named blackmagic 2. uninstall all things blackmagic via the Control Panel. 3. Then go into both Program Files folders and delete the black magic folder. Try to reinstall. The only things left installed when you re run the installer should be the c++ patches and the PostGres. If any of the others say installed, keep uninstalling stuff before proceeding.

If the programs aren't listed for removal via add remove programs, consult an expert as you're now into territory that can be dangerous. I had to do a pretty serious deep clean to get my audio working again. Fortunately for me I also subscribe to Premiere, so I just use it for a multitude of reasons at the present. Surely not because I want to, I absolutely prefer Resolve's interface. However the program actually doing what I need it to do is also pretty important. I deep cleaned so completely, I had to re activate the software.
Jeremy Johnson

System Build -
Gigabyte Designare EX
Threadripper 1950X
64 GB of DDR4 3600
1 - 3080 ti - Studio 551.61
1- Intensity Pro 4K - Driver 12.8.1
1 - Win 10 Pro for WS - Version 22H2 - Build 19045.2846
Resolve Studio 18.6.5 Build 7

Browneye9999

PostTue Jul 10, 2018 12:22 pm

Hello again,

Any other ideas on this. Its a shame , I was willing to buy the program, but can't really if it's not going to work.

Browneye9999

PostThu Sep 13, 2018 11:17 am

Well it's been a little while...

I just tried the release version of the program, still no go. It still exhibits the same problems as before. It just won't start.

Has anyone else seen this problem??

heatstudio

PostThu Sep 13, 2018 1:49 pm

I'm also having this exact problem. I heard so many good things about this program that i really was thinking about migrating, but GOD this is annoying.

peteVeiledProductions

PostThu Sep 13, 2018 4:57 pm

I am also seeing this issue - Resolve 14 was working great for me, but 15 crashes out in exactly the same way as you.

If I un-install 15 and install 14 again, 14 runs just fine.

maxtemp

PostThu Sep 13, 2018 8:20 pm

Hello,

I installed the software on my computer, but it does not start.

The start window remains blocked on the loading of the "Fairlight Page" module.

What is the minimum configuration required ?

Thanks.

Browneye9999

PostThu Sep 13, 2018 10:21 pm

Would some one be able to give us a rundown of the start flow of the program so that I can at least try to fault find what is stopping the program to stop.

What prerequisites is it looking for? What are the general things that need to be in place for a successful start? My PC is up to date on all things, video drivers, audio drivers etc, maybe it is a driver problem?

Is there a log or debug mode that gives us some information about what is happening at startup?

Something is causing the program to not act as a genuine app, but makes it fall back to a background process, that will sit in the background processes and keep churning away.

Capture.JPG
The Task Manager
Capture.JPG (42.26 KiB) Viewed 12158 times

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Sep 18, 2018 12:34 am

Download 15.1 and install it. Assuming it behaves the same, send another Resolve diagnostic log and another .NFO file.

If you've downloaded 15.1 before right now, download it again. We've made a small change in it, and earlier versions could have issues. The correct build version would be 025.

You can run Resolve now, check the About DaVinci Resolve version. If it ends in 023 or 024, download and install again. It needs to be 025.

You can also check the build version in Windows Control Panel - Programs and Features. In the Version column, it should show up as 15.1.0025. Not 0023 or 0024.
Dwaine Maggart

Browneye9999

PostTue Sep 18, 2018 2:29 am

Hello Dwaine,

New Resolve Diagnostic log and system.nfo file attached.

I downloaded and verified that the version was 15.1.0025.

The difference betwen previous versions and this one is that after the splash screen goes away it doesn't stay in the background processes list anymore. As the app is starting up it show in the apps section, but disappears when the program fails to start.
Attachments
system.zip
(148.45 KiB) Downloaded 113 times
DaVinci-Resolve-logs-20181809_122141.zip
(107.82 KiB) Downloaded 99 times

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Sep 18, 2018 6:01 am

Something I notice this time (it was in your other log as well) is a complaint that there is no valid database to connect to.

Do you see this folder:

C:\ProgramData\Blackmagic Design\DaVinci Resolve\Support\Resolve Disk Database

If you do see that folder, what's in it?
Dwaine Maggart

Browneye9999

PostTue Sep 18, 2018 6:18 am

C:\ProgramData\Blackmagic Design\DaVinci Resolve\Support\Resolve Disk Database

This folder does not exist.

Also

C:\Program Files\Blackmagic Design\DaVinci Resolve\Support\Resolve Disk Database

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Sep 18, 2018 6:32 am

All right then. Time to do a clean install.

Using the Programs and Features control panel, uninstall DaVinci Resolve.

Verify that C:\Program Files\Blackmagic Design\DaVinci Resolve is gone after the uninstall.

Change folder name C:\ProgramData\Blackmagic Design\DaVinci Resolve to C:\ProgramData\Blackmagic Design\DaVinci Resolve.old

Install 15.1 again.
Dwaine Maggart

Browneye9999

PostTue Sep 18, 2018 7:50 am

Still no go.

I did the clean install. The program started up asking to give me a tour, and then check my hardware and ask where I want to put the project files. Then after that the program splash screen as usual came up and then it just stopped after getting to the Fairlight part.

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Sep 18, 2018 8:37 am

Is the C:\ProgramData\Blackmagic Design\DaVinci Resolve\Support\Resolve Disk Database folder still missing?

On a clean install, that gets created when you launch Resolve the first time, around the area of the control panel message on the launch splash screen.

I don't see how that could not get created, if the other files are getting created in C:\ProgramData\Blackmagic Design\DaVinci Resolve\Support.

Please send the new Resolve diagnostic log file.
Dwaine Maggart

maxtemp

PostTue Sep 18, 2018 10:12 am

Hello,

I just downloaded and installed the latest version (025). I left the default installation settings.

I updated my graphics card with the latest firmware.

I start the software in administrator mode and always the same, it blocks the loading of "Fairlight Page". I waited 10 minutes, no answer.

Thanks.
Attachments
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (66.57 KiB) Viewed 12025 times

Browneye9999

PostTue Sep 18, 2018 10:16 am

I may have mislead before.

The directory actually was there. It was hidden by windows in one of it's setting's. After I turned that off it appeared. I renamed it to old and created the new one with the new install.

My fault, very sorry.

New log dump attached.
Attachments
DaVinci-Resolve-logs-20181809_201456.zip
(26.5 KiB) Downloaded 114 times

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Sep 18, 2018 6:01 pm

That has fixed the database issue, but that was apparently not related to the hang issue.

I can't find any online docs for your Corsair One. So it's hard to give guidance in the area of the system BIOS settings. But if you go into the system BIOS settings and select Advanced, do you have an Integrated Graphics Configuration area? If so, you should have a IGD Multi-Monitor selection. The default for that is disabled. If it's disabled, try enabling it, and see if that has any effect.

This is all based on a MSI Gaming Pro Carbon AC mobo, which your system mobo is supposedly similar to. However, that mobo has on board graphics connectors, and the Corsair One mobo does not. So not sure you'll have this in your BIOS settings.
Dwaine Maggart

Browneye9999

PostWed Sep 19, 2018 12:19 pm

I had a look in the BIOS settings. There is no Integrated Graphics Configuration in the BIOS. I think the Mobo is a custom one, as is the BIOS.

I was using the Display port on the back of the PC, I changed the display to the HDMI port, just to see if there was a possibility that this might cause something to happen.

Well it didn't, same result.

The Resolve Project Server app works okay. I tried opening that and then opening the main app. Still the same result.

The software had worked previously on an early beta of Ver 15. It may have stopped working after a windows update, I can't be sure.

I tired to attach the latest logs, but for some reason the log has grown in size to 82Mbwith 'Resolve.exe.17652.dmp' memory dump now being the biggest for some reason.

Edit: Could it be related to a Fairlight problem. When I try to do a fresh install it says that the Fairlight panels are already installed, but I don't think they are as when I go in to uninstall them Windows says it can't find the files.

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Sep 19, 2018 5:24 pm

Do you have the Fairlight Audio Accelerator Utility in the Programs and Features Control Panel?

If so, uninstall it. You don't need or want that installed.

I installed it on my system, just to see if it might do bad things. It didn't. But maybe it does on your system. That utility should only be installed if you have a BMD Fairlight hardware accelerator card installed.
Dwaine Maggart

Browneye9999

PostWed Sep 19, 2018 9:43 pm

I do have the Fairlight accelerator utility installed, however when I go to uninstall it I get the following error message.

Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (28.24 KiB) Viewed 11968 times

So Windows thinks its there, but its not there.

This is what's in the directory

Capture2.JPG
Capture2.JPG (23.32 KiB) Viewed 11968 times

So is there some sort of thing where its looking for it, can't find it then just stops? The times I have did reinstalls it always thinks that this utility is installed and doesn't reinstall it. (The checkbox does showup in the installer and it says its already installed).

So what makes the installer think its already installed if I have previously deleted all the old directories that the program uses? Some sort of registry entry?

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Sep 19, 2018 11:11 pm

No doubt.

Open regedit, and go to this hive:

Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Blackmagic Design

Delete the Fairlight Audio Accelerator folder and exit regedit.

Does that help?
Dwaine Maggart

Browneye9999

PostThu Sep 20, 2018 11:03 am

No, sorry the program still does not work.

The same start up and stop sequence exists.

Shouldn't there be something in the logs that's says why the program terminates? I've had a look myself, but can't see anything obvious.

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Sep 20, 2018 5:02 pm

Like you, I also don't see anything obvious in the log.

I'm about out of suggestions, since the clean install didn't help.

Although I'm a bit concerned that you didn't originally see the hidden C:\ProgramData\Blackmagic Design\DaVinci Resolve when doing the clean install, but it sounds like you did the proper process after finding that folder.

While I always hate suggesting the nuclear option, in past cases where nothing else has helped or made sense, a reinstall of Windows generally fixes things.
Dwaine Maggart

peteVeiledProductions

PostFri Sep 21, 2018 4:28 pm

I was able to solve my issues by creating a new local user on the PC I am using as a last resort. I tried the totally clean install and latest version as described above, but no joy.

Creating a new user and loading up Davinci 15 worked first time. Hope it helps.

Browneye9999

PostSun Sep 23, 2018 11:03 am

I think the mistake was mine when I didn't see the files under program data. Windows doing some file/directory hiding. I'm confident it was there.

The only other option I was going to try was to remove the C++ redistributables that also come up in the prerequisites when Resolve installs and reinstalling them. Even the clean installs I've been doing have skipped over these prerequisites.

Unfortunately the nuclear option isn't an option at the moment. I might have to go with Premiere Pro for the upcoming work instead. It's a shame I was really looking forward to using Resolve.

Thanks for you help

Browneye9999

PostMon Sep 24, 2018 8:11 am

peteVeiledProductions wrote:I was able to solve my issues by creating a new local user on the PC I am using as a last resort. I tried the totally clean install and latest version as described above, but no joy.

Creating a new user and loading up Davinci 15 worked first time. Hope it helps.

We have Success!!!

Installing the program under a different user worked. Program started up first time!!!

Thanks to peteVeiledProductions for the tip

So the question to Dwaine is what in the user settings would stop the program from starting. I'm beginning to comb through the user directories to try and find what would stop it!!! It must be some sort of permissions problem if not some config per user.

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Sep 25, 2018 10:37 pm

I don't know. That doesn't make any sense to me at all. I'm glad that's helped 2 people around the issue.
Dwaine Maggart

EngagePhoenix

PostSat Apr 20, 2019 3:30 am

Hello,

I am currently enrolled as a student, and have recently taken upon the world of video and photo editing. As such, I have turned to DaVinci Resolve to begin my career.

Before I plead my case, I would like to share that I am running a dual monitor setup, and my PC is more than competent in running this specific software. If anyone would like my specs or PC info, then just let me know. I have the log file that I will attach to the bottom of this response.

So, to begin, after DaVinci Resolve was installed, it launched, and I went through the tutorial. Once it was time for me to begin my own project, the application crashed and I got an error. I have not recorded the error, but if it does occur again, I will share it. After the error, there were three options. I chose "Abort", however the other options were "Retry", and "Cancel".

After the error, whenever DaVinci is called upon to be opened, I do not get any response from the program. No splash screen, and no signs of anything loading or even happening. Once task manager was opened, I discovered that DaVinci was running, but only in the background. I also noticed that the program was sitting idle and wasn't pulling any CPU, DISK, or GPU power. The only thing that the background process was using was a tiny sliver of RAM.

If anyone has any solutions, or methods to help me out, please let me know.

Thanks, Engage Phoenix

**[EDIT] I for some reason am not able to post URL's. I will post a notepad file with the URL attached.

Log Files.zip
File Logs
(214 Bytes) Downloaded 45 times

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostMon Apr 22, 2019 9:24 pm

Put 15.3.1 back in, launch it, and assuming it still crashes:

In a File Explorer window, go to:

C:\Program Files\Blackmagic Design\DaVinci Resolve

and run CaptureLogs

This will place a Resolve log file named similar to this on your Windows desktop: DaVinci-Resolve-logs-20181228_140434.zip (You may not see the .zip extension if your system is set to hide known extensions).

Then open Windows System Information and do a File - Save (Not a File Export), which will generate a .NFO file.

Place both those files on a file sharing site and provide links to the files here.

If the system won't let you post a URL, just put a space in it.
Dwaine Maggart

alexispautrot

Same issue, but with a workaround

PostSat Jan 25, 2020 2:31 pm

I had the same issue than the one described here : the program started well for the first time, but then didn't started after I closed it.

Looking in the Task Manager I saw the program listed as running in background. I figured that:
- killing the process still running in background would allow me to run it again normally
- starting the program as an administrator would make the program close normally

Otherwise, when launching the program again, the process already running in background would just kill the new one that we just started (because a secondary process would not be needed as there was one already). But because the process in background would just never die, we ended in a dead lock.

Hope this could help.

Regards.

Return to DaVinci Resolve