Improving Resolve Performance on Windows

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Dan Sherman

Re: Improving Resolve Performance on Windows

PostFri Aug 17, 2018 4:55 pm

Piotr Wozniacki wrote:It's the Intel® Core™ i7-5960X Extreme , Dan.

5960x vs 1950x
http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/In ... 2580vs3932

5960x vs 2990wx
http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/In ... 0vsm560423

This is the important one. keep in mind they only have 4 benchmark results for the 2990wx

1950x vs 2990wx
http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/AM ... 2vsm560423

look at the average and peak benchmarks. The only time the 2990wx gains a statistically relevant advantage is when its able to use all cores.

I'm betting if you are just working with h.264/265, prores or DNxHR, you will not be able to fully leverage all the cores of the 2990wx, and are thus throwing some money out the window.

all the gen 1 x399 motherboards where designed for 180 W TDP cpus. Of the 4 new cpus two of them are listed as having 250 W TDPs namely the 2990wx, and the 2970WX. If you are going to use either of those cpus, imo you should not use any of the gen 1 boards. The gen 1 boards are getting half ass band-aids at best. Simply put they weren't designed with the new cpus in mind.

what you want are a gen 2 board. currently theyr are only two gen 2 boards on the market. but more will be coming out in the next few weeks.
  • MSI MEG X399 Creation
  • Gigabyte X399 AORUS Extreme
AMD 7950X | AMD 7900XTX (23.20.24) | DDR5-6000 CL30-40-40-96 2x32 GB | Multiple PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME | ASUS x670e HERO | Win 11 Pro 23H2 | Resolve Studio 18.6.5 B7

Carsten Sellberg

PostFri Aug 17, 2018 5:48 pm

Piotr Wozniacki wrote: Could you please direct me to some readings about TDP of the Asus Zenth, ASRock Taichi and Gigabyte Designare as opposed to the GIGABYTE X399 Aorus Xtreme?

Hi.

https://www.amd.com/en/products/cpu/amd ... pper-1950x

Under specification: Default TDP / TDP 180W

It is the same for all Generation 1 CPU's
All it can be run in all generation 1 motherboards. Which I know is designed for a TDP or 180 Watt.

https://www.amd.com/en/products/cpu/amd ... per-2990wx

Under specification: Default TDP / TDP 250W

And this link:

https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/X3 ... upport-cpu

Under Wattage you see 250W for the Ryzen Threadripper 2990WX and 180W for all the 19xxX

compared to this 3:

https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/RO ... pDesk_CPU/

https://www.gigabyte.com/Ajax/SupportFu ... pe=Chipest

https://www.asrock.com/support/cpu.asp?s=TR4

Here is a list of the VRM circuit that suply the CPU with power on the different motherboards:

ASRock X399 Taichi: 'the Taichi uses the same digital 11 phase IR solution'
Gigabyte X399 DESIGNARE EX: 'What looks like an 8-phase VRM uses the same style main heatsink connected to a secondary heatsink via a heat pipe located behind the rear I/O.'
ASUS X399 ROG Zenith Extreme: 'with an eight-phase digital VRM circuitry for the CPU plus a supportive three-phase VRM for the CPU's SoC.'

Took it from Anandtech reviews. Its all 8 VRM for the CPU and 3 VRM for the SoC

AMD X399 AORUS Motherboard: 'AMD X399 AORUS Motherboard with 10+3 IR Digital PWM'

From: https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/X3 ... -rev-10#kf

Its 10+3, so 2 more VRM for the CPU than the Generation 1 motherboards above.

I can tell you that the The MSI MEG X399 Creation Motherboard have 16+3.

Regards Carsten.
URSA Mini 4.6K

Anthony Cioffi

PostFri Aug 17, 2018 10:45 pm

Hello folks. I have been trying to follow this thread, but because I am not a computer guru, I am having a difficult time understanding what would be the appropriate system parts to get on a Win 10 system.

I am in the process of trying to put together a system but after reading this I am more confused. Is there someone that is willing to suggest a MB & processor, video card and RAM to get me started? I already have the SSD's. Most of my work is in 4K video so my current system is running Resolve Studio, but not without some hair pulling slowness. I have not even attempted the Fusion tab yet and probably will not until such time I have an updated system.

I appreciate the help. Thank you! Now, to take an aspirin.
Anthony

Current Platform:
OS - Win 10 pro 64-bit
CPU- AMD Ryzen
Threadripper 14nm Technology
RAM- 64Gig G.SKILL F4-3200C16Q-32GTZR
GRAPHICS- Nvidia RTX-2080Ti (Studio Driver 511.65)
BOARD- ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. PRIME X399-A (SP3r2)

Carsten Sellberg

PostSat Aug 18, 2018 2:25 am

Hi Anthony.

I will suggest you, that you make you own tread.
Then we will like to help you.

Regards Carsten.
URSA Mini 4.6K

Piotr Wozniacki

PostSat Aug 18, 2018 5:42 am

Hi Carsten,

I found some info on the extra cooling for the Asus X399 Zenith Extreme:
https://www.guru3d.com/news-story/asus- ... -gen2.html

Piotr
AMD TR 2990WX CPU | MSI X399 CARBON AC | 64GB RAM@XMP3200 | 2x RTX 2080Ti GPU | 4x 3TB WD Black RAID0 media drive | 3x 1TB NVMe RAID0 cache drive | SSD SATA system drive | AX1600i PSU | Decklink 12G Extreme | Samsung UHD reference monitor (calibrated)

Carsten Sellberg

PostSat Aug 18, 2018 6:35 am

Hi.

As I see the Asus X399 Zenith motherboard cooling enhancement kit situation. Will you be able to run it without it in the beginning. But I expect it to give some extra performance, so I recommend you to mount it, as soon you can get one. It can't cost much.

Regards Carsten.
URSA Mini 4.6K

Carsten Sellberg

PostSat Aug 18, 2018 7:35 am

Hi.

When I read the 'The Big Cheese: AMD’s 32-Core Behemoth' paragraph:

'There is no doubting that when the AMD Ryzen Threadripper 2990WX gets a change to work its legs, it will do so with gusto. We were able to overclock the system to 4.0 GHz on all cores by simply changing the BIOS settings, although AMD also supports features like Precision Boost Overdrive in Windows to get more out of the chip. That being said, the power consumption when using half of the cores at 4.0 GHz pushes up to 260W, leaving a full loaded CPU nudging 450-500W and spiking at over 600W. Users will need to make sure that their motherboard and power supply are up to the task.'

https://www.anandtech.com/show/13124/th ... -review/12

He is using the MSI X399 MEG Creation motherboard with 16+3 VRM and Tomshardware also mention coming close to 500 Watt (42A) with the same MSI X399 MEG Creation motherboard.

So I need to recommend you to use a water cooler.

The Enermax Liqtech 240 TR4 Liquid Cooler, rated to 500W used for the reviews have at least one big disadvantage

'For those that don't know Enermax uses a solid copper cold plate and aluminum radiator. Veterans like myself that liquid cool know that you don't mix an anodic metal (copper) and a cathodic metal (aluminum) in the same loop due to galvanic corrosion.'

Please read all '7 Comments' in this link for more information:

https://www.anandtech.com/show/13212/en ... tr4-ii-lcs

Regards Carsten.
URSA Mini 4.6K

Piotr Wozniacki

PostSat Aug 18, 2018 8:22 am

Dear Carsten,

The way Im thinking about this thermal problem this way:

In most reviews of the 2990WX on Rev.1 X399 boards, they say their TDP being much lower than 250W only creates problems with overclocking. Now, considering I will be doing a great jump from my current 8-core CPU to the 32 cores - will I really need to overclock it at all?

One of my lower but still important priorities is the possibly low noise, heat and energy consumption. Considering what Dan said earlier:
Dan Sherman wrote:I'm betting if you are just working with h.264/265, prores or DNxHR, you will not be able to fully leverage all the cores of the 2990wx, and are thus throwing some money out the window.

- I will probably be happy enough running the 2990X at its basic clocking, and still have plenty of CPU power in abundance (remember I'm trying to find the sweet spot of balancing my CPU and GPU performance, and I will not be upgrading my two Titan Xps to faster ones in a foreseeable future)...

BTW, I do not agree with Dan's opinion (the part about throwing half of my money out of the window - the other part, about the TDP demands, is a valid consideration of course). Why? - bacause with my 2 Titan XPs and the 9-core i7 running at some 3.4 GHz, I witnessed situations in Resolve when my GPUs were hardly loaded (ca. 20%), wile the O.C.-ed CPU was hitting the ceiling at the full 100% load, getting extremely hot and making the system very noisy with its 8 fans. This usually happens when playing back my DNxHR HDR full UHD resolution cached media from my M.2 NVMe SSD (while the opposite scenario - rendering my Smart Cached timeline with a considerable, but still not especially large, number of Color page nodes (including - apart from some basic correction - also an NR and one or two OFX nodes): Both Titans get their proper share of work in such scenario (often hitting 100%, with average of some 96-98% load), while my 8-core CPU only is taxed at some 40-60%. But you can see a pattern here: where it's CPU which is loaded fully, the difference between its taxation and that of the GPUs tend to be MUCH greater than in the other way around scenarios... Not to mention that with the 2500WX (whose 32 cores are overkill, according to Dan) I could run my Moldflow analysis on 4-8 cores in the background (Moldflow has a nice feature of letting the user define how many cores the analysis is allowed to be run; it also doesn't need to use the display as the GUI can be closed for the entire analysis time, and it now doesn't rely on GPU acceleration at all). Doing it would let me run Resolve on the remaining 24-26 CPU cores...

So, coming back to the thermal problem - and assuming no O.C. whatsoever - will I not be just OK with the cheapest X399 boards we've been discussing here: the ASRock X399 Taichi? You know, the idea behind it being maximally "relaxed", if you will, yet still very powerful system.

Just my 2 cents...BUT: what do you think, Carsten - I value your opinion very much indeed :)

Piotr
Last edited by Piotr Wozniacki on Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
AMD TR 2990WX CPU | MSI X399 CARBON AC | 64GB RAM@XMP3200 | 2x RTX 2080Ti GPU | 4x 3TB WD Black RAID0 media drive | 3x 1TB NVMe RAID0 cache drive | SSD SATA system drive | AX1600i PSU | Decklink 12G Extreme | Samsung UHD reference monitor (calibrated)

Carsten Sellberg

PostSat Aug 18, 2018 9:23 am

Hi.

I havn't seen any views of the 2990WX on Rev.1 X399 boards. Can you please post some links?

Andrew Kolakowski wrote in an another thread:

'For example x264 "good" scaling saturates around 16 cores (for HD). After this you have to many small pieces (which frame is divided to) and also quality starts to suffer. You better of splitting encode into 2 (specially when it's long one) and running 2 instances. At these cores numbers you are far from linear scaling though (against 1 core).'

He is suggesting 'You better of splitting encode into 2 (specially when it's long one) and running 2 instances.'

In an another review they suggested to split some x265 encoding into 3 instances to saturate the 2990WX.

Previous in the thread you wrote about 'running a Moldflow analysis in the background while using Resolve normally'

Both Anandtech and Tomshardwre used The MSI X399 MEG Creation motherboard for their reviews of the 2990WX. And Phoronix used the ASUS ROG ZENITH EXTREME for theirs. So it can run on both:

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page= ... dows&num=1

You will need to set a level of performance you want to run it on. And then try to make sure you don't have any bottleneck in your setup. The performance of the 2990WX will only be as high at the weakest part of a big line of different factors. As Power Supply - Motherboard - VRM Circuit supplying the 2990WX - The 2990WX CPU it self - The Cooler. If just item in this line is weaker than the rest, will You not get the possible performance out of your 2990WX.

In this review is a graph telling that you only can use air coolers up to around 270 Watt.

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/am ... 25-12.html

I don't see the Threadripper 2990WX Presition Boost Overdrive as overclocking it. But even without, will it in many situations use a lot more than 300 Watts

Regards Carsten.
URSA Mini 4.6K

Piotr Wozniacki

PostSat Aug 18, 2018 10:09 am

Hmm... this is not a very encouraging info for me, Carsten (btw, while you were typing you last post - I added some thoughts about sharing the 32 cores between Resolve and Moldflow). But nevertheless, I must admit that while all those possibilities the 2990WX opens for me are very attractive, none of them solves the main problem of thermal mis-match between the new 2990WX and most of the mainboards out there. From what you're saying, even the (currently only two existing) boards ready for second generation ThreadRipper out of the box (MSI MEG X399 Creation and Gigabyte X399 AORUS Extreme) may have problems when the 2990WX is really fully loaded (well - the MEG X399 Creation probably wouldn't, but I'm not prepared for paying the sort of price it will probably be sold for).

Considering a water cooling is out of the question for me (as I wrote, I'm after a quiet and relaxed workstation) - perhaps I should cancel my 2990WS order, and save a lot of money by ordering the 1st generation 1950X on the ASRock X399 Taichi? After all, I was almost decided to buy the 16--core i9 solution only a couple of days ago; going the 1st generation Ryzen road (also with 16 cores) would save me quite a lot of money now, and leave me open to future upgrade to 2nd generation (32 or 24 cores Threadripper,) which - provided I would now start with one of those "refresher" boards like the ASUS ROG ZENITH EXTREME or the much cheaper Taichi I just mentioned) - could prove to work well after this new technology matures?

Piotr

PS. A practical question to experienced system builders like Carsten: what is the most easy way of measuring the space available in my current case (mission-critical PC, so without taking it apart)? I'd like to check whether the Noctua NH-U14S TR4-SP3 would fit)...

Dan Sherman

PostSat Aug 18, 2018 11:00 am

Carsten Sellberg wrote:
Andrew Kolakowski wrote in an another thread:

'For example x264 "good" scaling saturates around 16 cores (for HD). After this you have to many small pieces (which frame is divided to) and also quality starts to suffer. You better of splitting encode into 2 (specially when it's long one) and running 2 instances. At these cores numbers you are far from linear scaling though (against 1 core).'

He is suggesting 'You better of splitting encode into 2 (specially when it's long one) and running 2 instances.'

In an another review they suggested to split some x265 encoding into 3 instances to saturate the 2990WX.

This is indirectly what I was referring to as well, beyond a cettain point more cores won't make an encoding go any faster, because the algorithm just isn't efficient once you reach a certain thread count. once you reach that point the only thing that will make an encoding go faster is better IPC, or a higher frequency.
AMD 7950X | AMD 7900XTX (23.20.24) | DDR5-6000 CL30-40-40-96 2x32 GB | Multiple PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME | ASUS x670e HERO | Win 11 Pro 23H2 | Resolve Studio 18.6.5 B7

Carsten Sellberg

PostSat Aug 18, 2018 11:07 am

Hi Piotr.

I don't read anywhere that the MSI MEG X399 Creation have problems. What I read is that it has a TDP of 250 watt. And some see the motherboard limit its consumption to 500 Watt. When they disable this limit and cool it with liquid LN2 it can be run over 500 Watt.
Here is a link. Please read the 'Power Consumption Torture Loop' Paragraph:

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/am ... 25-13.html

The MSI MEG X399 CREATION is priced at $499.99 from Newegg:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product. ... 6813144204

I just found and read this review 'AMD Threadripper 2990WX Cooling Performance - Testing Five Heatsinks & Two Water Coolers'

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page= ... ling&num=1

According to it, are you right. The 2990WX can be run in a Asus X399 Zenith Extreme motherboard with Noctua AIR coolers.

Regards Carsten.
URSA Mini 4.6K

Piotr Wozniacki

PostSat Aug 18, 2018 11:39 am

Just 2 points, Carsten :)

1. I never said even the MSI MEG X399 CREATION would have "problems" - I only meant that with high enough O.C., it would need water cooling which is not something I'd want to run

2. Thanks for the link to an article showing all three Noctua models side by side. Just a question: seeing how huge the 140mm version is, can I still assume it will fit inside the PHANTEKS Enthoo Pro (PH-ES614PC_BK) - which I suppose it will - but are you sure they will be no interference between the Noctua NH-U14S TR4-SP3 and any other component, like:

- normal profile DIMMs
- the graphics card (one of my Titans) placed inside the first PCIe slot on the Asus X399 Zenith Extreme or ASRock X399 Taichi (i.e. the one closest to the CPU)? This is extremely important for me to know for a couple of reasons:

- I just have to put one of my GPUs in the first slot, because otherwise there is no way to find room for another Titan Xp PLUS this silly (I mean slow electrically - just x8 PCIe Gen. 2 - but double-wide due to the HDMI mezzanine fixed to it stiffly)

- also, here in Poland we have the same merchandise return policy as anywhere else in the free world (no questions asked for 10 or 14 days), but this only applies to "consumers" (i.e. individuals). I will be ordering as a Company (in order to be able to write the cost off for tax purposes) - and the rule doesn't apply to companies here - can you imagine?!!! Meaning that should I order stuff for almost $20,000, in the case of something not fitting (or other optimization problem) - I'm left with it no matter what (there is a limited warranty like everywhere else, but I'm talking items in perfect order, just not optimally fitting to one another, or even not fitting at all :(

From the second to last picture it looks like the Noctua NH-U12S TR4-SP3 almost touches the GPU card?

Oh, and unfortunately the MSI MEG X399 CREATION is unavailable in Poland yet.

Piotr

Carsten Sellberg

PostSat Aug 18, 2018 12:19 pm

Hi Piotr.

Here is a link with coolers for 2990WX. It shows the Dimensions ( L x W x H) for the Noctua NH-U14S TR4-SP3:

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/air-l ... 37588.html

Phoronix in the beginning show some picture for the 2990WX review with a Cooler Master Wraith Ripper on the Asus X399 Zenith Extreme motherboard, but it covered slot 1. Later the changed to one with a Noctua. So my answer must be that I don't know. May other can try to help?

The MSI MEG X399 CREATION i available in Germany:

https://www.idealo.de/preisvergleich/Of ... n-msi.html

Amazon.de have it for 514€

Regards Carsten.
URSA Mini 4.6K

Piotr Wozniacki

PostSat Aug 18, 2018 12:28 pm

At Amazon.de, the results of looking for the MSI MEG X399 CREATION is ZERO. They probably have little number of them, and don't sell to Poland.

Carsten, a lame question, sorry: what does the acronym PBO stands for? Like in benchmark results, for "2990X PBO"...

Piotr

EDIT: please disregard; it's for Precision Boost Overdrive :)

Oh, and the Euro 514 on Amazon.de is NOT for the MSI MEG X399 CREATION, socket TR4 - but that with the AM4 socekt.
Last edited by Piotr Wozniacki on Sat Aug 18, 2018 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Carsten Sellberg

PostSat Aug 18, 2018 12:49 pm

Canseled
URSA Mini 4.6K

Piotr Wozniacki

PostSat Aug 18, 2018 12:51 pm

Is AM4 socket the same as TR4? If so, I can get MSI MEG X399 CREATION from Amazon.de!

Piotr

Piotr Wozniacki

PostSat Aug 18, 2018 12:53 pm

Carsten Sellberg wrote:Canseled

Gotcha :)

Piotr

Carsten Sellberg

PostSat Aug 18, 2018 1:19 pm

Hi.

I canceled some wrong shipping information.

But when I checked Amazon.de for the MSI MEG X399 Creation I see that it will actually be delivered by ELECTRONIS.de. And I actually succeed to enter Poland as a country of delivery.

When I go to ELECTRONIS.de under Versand I can after Germany go to 'Versandkosten im Ausland' and Choose Poland.
And se that bis 5.0Kg cost €24,90

Regards Carsten.
URSA Mini 4.6K

Piotr Wozniacki

PostSat Aug 18, 2018 1:24 pm

But all I can see at both shops is MSI MEG X399 CREATION with AM4 socket - no TR4 at all!

How did you find the right one? A direct link perhaps, please,

Piotr

Carsten Sellberg

PostSat Aug 18, 2018 1:53 pm

Sorry you are right. it is as the AM4. I am the way out of the dor right now. I will come back tomorrow.

Regards Carsten
URSA Mini 4.6K

waltervolpatto

• Location: 1146 North Las Palmas Ave. Hollywood, California 90038 USA

PostSat Aug 18, 2018 3:00 pm

Piotr, in my new workstation i added the water cooling to the i9, if the concern is the noise, it does not add much.

If you don't have it, the existing fan will run harder to pull the heat out of the case.

I'm really happy with the choice.
W10-19043.1645- Supermicro MB C9X299-PGF - RAM 128GB CPU i9-10980XE 16c 4.3GHz (Oc) Water cooled
Decklink Studio 4K (12.3)
Resolve 18.5.1 / fusion studio 18
GPU 3090ti drivers 512.59 studio

Piotr Wozniacki

PostSat Aug 18, 2018 4:26 pm

Hi Walter,

Thanks - I'll probably reconsider water cooling. In the meantime, could you share your opinion about my plans? Do you also think that a 32 core 2990WX is an overkill for Resolve with only two Titan Xp GPUs? Another reason for my concerns is that most early reviews of this first 2nd generation ThreadRipper doesn't scale particularly well, so I really don't know what to think...

I can see you went the i0 route - I was planning the same for a long time, but on the very day I was about to order my 16-core i9, a 0% interest (with 24 installments) offer came from my favorite retailer for the 2990WX ThreadRipper - and while in the first reaction I was decided to go for it, later on more and more doubts started haunting me :)

I can see you're running 12-core CPU and two 1080ti - don't you find your CPU to create a bottleneck? Because I do - of course, it just couldn't be different as I only have an 8-core CPU with 2 GPUs even slightly stronger than yours, but my gut feeling is that with my 2 Titan Xps, a 16-core CPU would be exactly right... On the other hand: I'm a Jeremy Clarkson type of guy, so I believe in speed and power, haha.

Thanks in advance for your opinion on my dilemma; Cheers

Piotr

John Paines

PostSat Aug 18, 2018 4:35 pm

Piotr Wozniacki wrote:with my 2 Titan XPs and the 9-core i7 running at some 3.4 GHz, I witnessed situations in Resolve when my GPUs were hardly loaded (ca. 20%), wile the O.C.-ed CPU was hitting the ceiling at the full 100% load, getting extremely hot

Just speculating, but have you considered that by over-clocking too much, the CPU ends up throttling itself? So, 100% cpu use isn't actually 100%? Have you ever tried running this system at stock speed?

Piotr Wozniacki

PostSat Aug 18, 2018 5:05 pm

John Paines wrote:
Piotr Wozniacki wrote:with my 2 Titan XPs and the 9-core i7 running at some 3.4 GHz, I witnessed situations in Resolve when my GPUs were hardly loaded (ca. 20%), wile the O.C.-ed CPU was hitting the ceiling at the full 100% load, getting extremely hot

Just speculating, but have you considered that by over-clocking too much, the CPU ends up throttling itself? So, 100% cpu use isn't actually 100%? Have you ever tried running this system at stock speed?

Sure thing, John - actually I'm running it only slightly o.c.-ed for a while now, as I couldn't stand the fan noise (or the temperature rise in my small office/studio room by a few centigrade Celsius - unbearable with the almost African heat outside we have this summer). Also, back when I tried running my CPU at some 4.2 GHz I checked several times with HWInfo, and indeed some cores would hit the 100W TDP and throttled... So, I gave up and run it with only a little over the default speed... Still much noise, but at least no throttling anymore...

Piotr

Carsten Sellberg

PostSat Aug 18, 2018 6:35 pm

Hi.

Here is a very short update.

Yes the headline at Amazon.de show 'MSI Meg X399 Creation, Sockel AM4, DDR4', But it can't both be X399 and AM4. Something is wrong.

Under See more product details:

It say: Processor Socket TR4
And the picture show 2x4 DIMM Sockets. Only TR4 socket use 8 DIMM sockets. AM4 only use 4.

I will suggest you to contact Amazon.de and ask them if it is a AM4 or a TR4 socket.

Else is there one on eBay from a TOP Italien 100% seller to EUR 563.20. Here is a link:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/MSI-MEG-X399-C ... Sw1opbayP3

Regards Carsten.
URSA Mini 4.6K

Piotr Wozniacki

PostSat Aug 18, 2018 7:28 pm

Thanks Carsten!

I also saw the other description, and it says "TR4". Nevertheless, I e-mailed the retailer.

Have a nice weekend

Piotr

Daz Wood

PostSat Aug 18, 2018 8:06 pm

Very interesting posts. I myself am keeping an eye on the 2950x mostly because of its price performance ratio but I am still investigating like everybody else. What I really like is the upgrade path but it's also important to get a chip that will be fast enough for the work you do now.
Thank you

Daz
Davinci Resolve Studio Version
ASUS Strix GL702ZC 17" laptop. AMD Ryzen 7 1700 (Desktop CPU), 32GB DDR4, Storage 256GB M.2 SSD, 2TB SSD, 4GB RX 580, Win10

RCModelReviews

PostSat Aug 18, 2018 8:49 pm

Yes Daz, I think the 2950 is going to be the best price-performance point in the family.

I was hoping the 1950s would drop significantly in price with the second gen due out in a very short time but around here they're holding strong and I suspect that most of the outlets will simply not list the 2950 until they've cleared their stock of the 1st gen CPU at the full price

Dang!
Resolve 18.1 Studio, Fusion 9 Studio
CPU: i7 8700, OS: Windows 10 32GB RAM, GPU: RTX3060
I'm refugee from Sony Vegas slicing video for my YouTube channels.

waltervolpatto

• Location: 1146 North Las Palmas Ave. Hollywood, California 90038 USA

PostSun Aug 19, 2018 5:11 am

I cannot comment on your setup, I had my engineer help me to setup my computer..

I can see you're running 12-core CPU and two 1080ti - don't you find your CPU to create a bottleneck? Because I do - of course, it just couldn't be different as I only have an 8-core CPU with 2 GPUs even slightly stronger than yours, but my gut feeling is that with my 2 Titan Xps, a 16-core CPU would be exactly right... On the other hand: I'm a Jeremy Clarkson type of guy, so I believe in speed and power, haha.

I run out of drives bandwidth before i run out of CPU/GPU at the moment: I have a spinning disk 8x8TB SAS enclosure and i rarely do RAW ( i cache the hell out of it).
W10-19043.1645- Supermicro MB C9X299-PGF - RAM 128GB CPU i9-10980XE 16c 4.3GHz (Oc) Water cooled
Decklink Studio 4K (12.3)
Resolve 18.5.1 / fusion studio 18
GPU 3090ti drivers 512.59 studio

Jack Fairley

PostSun Aug 19, 2018 6:33 am

Piotr Wozniacki wrote:Do you also think that a 32 core 2990WX is an overkill for Resolve with only two Titan Xp GPUs?

Unless you are going to work with 6K/8K RAW I think this is pointless. Much easier to run out of GPU or disk bandwidth IMO.
Ryzen 5800X3D
32GB DDR4-3600
RTX 3090
DeckLink 4K Extreme 12G
Resolve Studio 17.4.1
Windows 11 Pro 21H2

Piotr Wozniacki

PostSun Aug 19, 2018 11:17 am

Jack Fairley wrote:
Piotr Wozniacki wrote:Do you also think that a 32 core 2990WX is an overkill for Resolve with only two Titan Xp GPUs?

Unless you are going to work with 6K/8K RAW I think this is pointless. Much easier to run out of GPU or disk bandwidth IMO.

Thanks for your opinion, Jack... But if 32 cors is indeed an overkill, than - still with 2 Titan Xp as my computing GPU - which do you think CPU core number would be the sweet spot for Resolve: 24 or 16?

Asking because - as much as I became enthusiastic about the TR route to upgrade my system - the more I read about ThreadRipper and/or learn from helpful people her like Carsten (THANKS !!!) - the more skeptical I become due to issues involved (mainly thermal, with the 24 and 32-core 2nd generation TR, with TDP of 250W). I've always been an Intel guy, and was close to upgrade my current 8-core i7 to 16-core i9, and call it the day... So I'll confess that - should the prevailing opinion from actual Resolve users here indicate 16-core CPU indeed is such a sweet spot with my two Titan Xps - I'd probably do just that!

But on the other hand, I'm a person who:
- likes to have options open (buying i9 and X299 board would probably be my last semi-high-end system, being at 65)
- like Jeremy Clarkson, strongly believe in speed and power :)

Therefore, and idea crossed my mind which I'd like to share with you guys (Carsten in particular). Lately, Walter (who is running 2x 1080ti as a GPU subsystem slightly weaker than my 2x Titan Xps, with just a 12-core i9) said his system never suffers from any bottlenecks (other then disk bandwidth, but he does RAW). So seeing how the 1920X dropped in price significantly while the 1950X still didn't, I thought: why not go the cheapest route for now (1920X on the ASRosk X399 Taichi), but still have options open for the future - the 24 or 32-core second TR generation without the need to upgrade the motherboard)?

Please share your thoughts
Piotr

Andrew Kolakowski

PostSun Aug 19, 2018 11:33 am

i9 16 cores is probably all what you need. The only issue is that it runs at fairly low clock. Make it running at 3.5GHz and you will be fine. I assume this is fairly easily achievable (seeing plenty overclocks over 4GHz).
I don't think I would jump into AMD atm. if you can just swap CPU in your system.
Also- do you actually suffer due to CPU limits in current system?

Piotr Wozniacki

PostSun Aug 19, 2018 11:51 am

Andrew Kolakowski wrote:i9 16 cores is probably all what you need. The only issue is that it runs at fairly low clock. Make it running at 3.5GHz and you will be fine. I assume this is fairly easily achievable (seeing plenty overclocks over 4GHz).
I don't think I would jump into AMD atm. if you can just swap CPU in your system.
Also- do you actually suffer due to CPU limits in current system?

Thanks Andrew - yes, very often I can see my 8-core CPU laboring at 100% with both Titans merely at some 20-30%.

So while I definitely see a need to upgrade the CPU, I have to choose between cheap now (but with options left open for future - hence the cheapest 1920X idea) - or jump onto the fastest that can be bought at once (2990WX), and when I see it's not scaling well - run 2-3 renders at the same time, or even assign 8 cores to my background Moldflow analyses. Viable?

Piotr

Piotr Wozniacki

PostSun Aug 19, 2018 12:04 pm

Andrew at al - is the clearance (room) between the CPU socket center and the closest PCIe somehow standardized on (E)ATX boards? Asking, because I wonder whether the biggest of the three TR4 Noctua coolers could collide with my Titan in the first slot.... It has a single 140mm fan, while the medium one has two 120mm fans and is much smaller footprint (looking towards the CPU socket)...

Piotr

Andrew Kolakowski

PostSun Aug 19, 2018 12:29 pm

No idea.
I don't think those 32 cores are going shine much in Resolve (if you are not doing 6/8K RED).
As I many times said- I rather had 16 cores at 5GHz :)
Last edited by Andrew Kolakowski on Sun Aug 19, 2018 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Piotr Wozniacki

PostSun Aug 19, 2018 12:29 pm

Carsten Sellberg wrote:Hi.

As I see the Asus X399 Zenith motherboard cooling enhancement kit situation. Will you be able to run it without it in the beginning. But I expect it to give some extra performance, so I recommend you to mount it, as soon you can get one. It can't cost much.

Regards Carsten.

Hi Carsten,

From what I read on Asus website (official) is that the extra cooling kits will be shipped to the registered X399 Zenith buyers free of charge. Now please tell me: even with this kit installed, will a board made as a second generation one (like the MSI Meg X399 Creation) be still a better choice for 2990WX?

Piotr

Carsten Sellberg

PostSun Aug 19, 2018 1:22 pm

Hi.

I wrote my ideas about recommendations this morning to Anthony. Please see this link.

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=77998

If he asked me two months ago, would I properly suggested him a Threadripper 16 core 1950X and a GTX 1080.

I can't see your 2x Titan Xp fit in here. But may be I am wrong.

Dan posted some few CPU comparisons. If you think about getting a Threadripper 1920X can't I see much improvement compared to your current i7-5960X

http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/In ... 2580vs3934

When I see how the 1950X and the 1920X is made. I may be better understand the price drops. At the plant they test each core of the 1950X before final assembly. If one or two cores fail this test, do they
disable 4 cores and made it a 1920X. How du you calculate the manufactoring cost of this 1920X?
It it 75% of the 1950X or is it worth notting as a failed 1950X.

I wonder if AMD have to many 'failed' chip available or if AMD already begin competing with Intels coming mainline 8 core i9-9900K CPU expecting to October for around 450$?

Threadripper do not scale very well. But I have read in an another forum in an another language, that Intel don't scale well either.

The Threadripper 2990WX just set a new world record as the fastest desktop CPU. But we must learn to understand it. It only have been on the market for 6 days.

Until now the CPU was the limited factor. We used to run one or a few program as fast as the CPU allowed. With the 2990X we have an different situation. Many programs now run as fast as they can without the CPU limits them.

But why do all programs not scale as well as possible. The programs are not designed to do it. And remember that, at the time of development and testing did they not have any PC with 32 cores 64 threads to test it on. But this situation will slowly improve. In the meantime we just must run some programs in parallel by starting two instances.

I just see your last questen just before I was ready to send this post.

Yes I believe that this kit will made the motherboard a second generation one.

But I don't expect it to be equal with the MSI Meg X399 Creation. It is in a class of its own.

Like power supplies, don't run motherboards VRM circuits at max power. All motherboards manufacturer are using the same output component in their VRM circuit. They are each rated to an about max of 60A.
The Asus X399 Zenith use 8+3 and the MSI Meg X399 Creation use 16+3. But how many do you really need?

Absolute max for the MSI Meg X399 Creation is 16 x 60A equal 960A. We know from review links I already posted that the BIOS on the MSI motherboard is set for a 500W limit. That is the double of the TDP of 250W.

If ASUS use the same conservative setting will the have a 250 Watt limit. But I am sure it is higher, but I don't know how much.

At the end of this very long post will I publish the first customers reviews for the MSI Meg X399 Creation:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product. ... 6813144204

Regards Carsten.
URSA Mini 4.6K

Piotr Wozniacki

PostSun Aug 19, 2018 1:47 pm

Thanks Carsten,

Of course, I only mentioned the 1920X as a possible interim solution - it's already very cheap here in Poland, while the 1950X'es price hasn't drop much (if at all) yet.

As to the motherboard - if I buy the 2990WS I'll go with the best board available (the MSI Meg X399 Creation, which I already have in my basket at Amazon.de).

Piotr

Andrew Kolakowski

PostSun Aug 19, 2018 3:08 pm

You may want this, apparently 1000$ for Ti version:

"The PNY XLR8 RTX 2080 Ti and the RTX 2080 are not reference cards and come with factory-overclocking. Perhaps for the first time, NVIDIA is expected to announce the 2080 Ti alongside the standard 2080 (yes, the 2080 name is more or less confirmed now). According to reports, the Founders Edition RTX 2080 Ti is expected to feature 4352 CUDA Cores, 11 GB GDDR6 VRAM, a 352-bit memory bus, and a memory bandwidth of 616 Gbps. PNY's listing of the XLR8 RTX 2080 Ti conforms to these specifications and sports a 285W TDP with a base clock of 1350 MHz and a boost clock of 1545 MHz."

Carsten Sellberg

PostSun Aug 19, 2018 3:34 pm

Andrew Kolakowski wrote:You may want this, apparently 1000$ for Ti version:

Hi.

My plan is to watch the nVidea live streamed event Monday 20th at 18:00 CET Central European Time.

I am sure we will have a lot of questions after. But can somebody already now tell me if Resolve have any use, now or later, for the new Real-time Raytracing technology?

Regards Carsten.
URSA Mini 4.6K

Piotr Wozniacki

PostSun Aug 19, 2018 4:06 pm

Carsten Sellberg wrote:For Raid please look at this link from AMD:

'Free NVMe RAID upgrade for AMD X399 chipset'

https://community.amd.com/community/gam ... 99-chipset

Dear Carsten,

I read the article and have a question. When setting up a RAID 0 on two M.2 NVMe SSDs, is it at all important that (apart from their capacity) both drives should be the same exact models? Asking because I already have one 1TB disk by Toshiba, and for the life of me cannot find the same model anywhere... So, will the RAID have full performance when I pair it with different make and model (e.g. Samsung EVO)?

Thanks,
Piotr

Andrew Kolakowski

PostSun Aug 19, 2018 7:05 pm

May work fine, may not.
Definitely not advisable. Use same brand to avoid problems.

Dan Sherman

PostSun Aug 19, 2018 9:09 pm

@Piotr

It doesn't matter if you go Intel or AMD, you have to buy a new cpu and a new motherboard so its a wash. At a given price point, you will get more cores with AMD, but with Intel you will get slight better IPC, and maybe 400 to 500 more Mhz over overclocking headroom. IMO the thing that gives AMD the edge right now, is all the extra PCIe lanes you get, that gives you a lot of room for future growth.

I'm running a 6850k right now, but next year when AMD releases Threadripper 3 on the Zen 2 7nm architecture I will most likely be switching to AMD as Intel has been delaying their 10nm fab for 2 or 3 years now.

For your cooling and clearance concerns, You should honestly just switch to a AIO liquid cooler. You will not have to worry about clearance for your Titans, and if you go with a 240, 280, or 360 radiator, you will have more than enough cooling capacity. They are no harder to install than an air cooler, and when you set up the pumps and fan curves appropriately in your bios they can often be quieter than an air cooler on high end cpus.

for example:
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product. ... 6835181139
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product. ... 6835181138
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product. ... 6835181101
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product. ... 6835181103

Carsten Sellberg

PostMon Aug 20, 2018 1:16 am

Piotr Wozniacki wrote: I read the article and have a question

Hi.

It will depend on what type of RAID you set up.

I only tried RAID on spinning disks. If I use RAID0 (striping) can I use disks of different sizes, but there are no reson to use a 10.000 RPM disk in a RAID with some 7.200 RPM discs as you can't control what files are written to the fast 10.000 RPM dics. A 10.000 RPM disc will just be to expensive to use.

If I use RAID1 (mirroring) of spinning discs will it gives higher READ speeds as the RAID controller makes sure to spit the reads between two set of discs. Again the there is no reason to buy a expensive 10.00 RPM spinning disc.

If I use RAID5 (parity) Is the purpose to avoid that a single hard disc failure can have any impact. And again no reason for a 10,000 RPM spinning disc. It will just be to expensive.

Some RAID hardware controllers have up to 1 GB cache ram. And some even have batteri backup. They are used for Write back caching:

https://www.dell.com/community/PowerEdg ... d-p/633627

I never used a SSD Raid. But I expect you can use different kind of drives. But I will look for drives with around the same kind of performance. I see no reason to use a large medium speed SSD together with a very fast Samsung Pro SSD. It will just be a waist of money.

When I google 'youtube x399 Treadripper raid'

Is there a lot of links. The only one I watch was this one:

He is using different sizes of SSD Drives.

But if he use one very large SSD with medium speed together with one or two very small fast SSD I don't expect the AMD scaling graph in the link to be valid any more. You cant improve the speed of a large SSD by ading one or two very fast small SDD's. I will suggest you to find a SSD with around the same performance as your Toshiba.

BUT else, have I started considering to build a 1920X based system. May be a very tiny desktop with a micro ATX sized ASRock X399M Taichi motherboard. What I will call a laptop substitute for traveling.

One sealed 1920X was sold on ebay Germany yesterday, together with a cooler for 358€.

Do any have a recommendations for a Tiny monitor for Resolve?

Regards Carsten.
URSA Mini 4.6K

Piotr Wozniacki

PostMon Aug 20, 2018 7:08 am

Thanks guys.

Of course, I did find an M.2 NVMe drive with parameters (capacity, transfer rates) as close to those of my Toshiba as possible; what I'm concerned is that with different on-board controllers it still may not work with my Toshiba in RAID 0.

Carsten - what do you mean by "TINY" monitor for Resolve?

Regards,
Piotr

Dan Sherman

PostMon Aug 20, 2018 7:41 am

@Piotr

Why do you want to run m.2 in RAID 0? Unless you are working with something like 8k raw, the only real benefit is greater capacity, that comes at the cost of a much greater chance of loosing all your data.

Piotr Wozniacki

PostMon Aug 20, 2018 8:01 am

Dan Sherman wrote:@Piotr

Why do you want to run m.2 in RAID 0? Unless you are working with something like 8k raw, the only real benefit is greater capacity, that comes at the cost of a much greater chance of loosing all your data.

Dan,

I'm using the M.2 drives as my cached media storage, and nothing else. Since I grade for HDR, the minimum format for me is DNxHR HDR (that's how Resolve calls it in the drop-won list). But with 2-3 such drives in RAID 0, I could also cache to uncompressed. And of course, the volatility of such array isn't that important as the cached media are sort of scratch, anyway.

Of course, only by actually trying will I know whether this plan is viable, and brings any advantages to my workflow; if it does not I can either leave those drives in RAID 0 (the risk of losing data is unimportant in this usage scenario), or reconfigure them to JBOD.

Piotr

Carsten Sellberg

PostMon Aug 20, 2018 8:19 am

Piotr Wozniacki wrote: Carsten - what do you mean by "TINY" monitor for Resolve? Piotr

Hi.

I'm not convinced a laptop is ideal for Resolve. I travel several months a year. My idea is go get a Tiny Desktop I can travel with. and for that I will need a small Monitor. Small size will be a requirement. I must be able to have the Tiny desktop and a monitor in my hand luggage when I fly. So not over 55cm x 40cm x 20cm and less than 10 Kg, hopefully less. I hope to be able to carry a monitor in it original packing together with a Tiny Desktop in the original packing of the PC cabinet side by side in a cabin bag.

Last time I looked into this. Did I only find some small monitors with strange USB Interfaces and very bad reviews. I don't expect I will need more than 1920 x 1080 and the same quality as a Laptop display. Actually do I think a laptop display in its own small cabinet and with a HDMI interface will be perfect.

What is possiable. May be some have some nice ideas?

Regards Carsten.
URSA Mini 4.6K

Piotr Wozniacki

PostMon Aug 20, 2018 9:05 am

Have no idea what to recommend you, Carsten - I can only say that if I were in your shoes, I'd simply use my Shogun Inferno recorder/monitor as the video device, provided of course that such a small, "mobile" computer had its own display for Resolve GUI... But this of course only makes sense if the Atomos device is also used as a field monitor/recorder - otherwise it's too expensive...

Piotr
Last edited by Piotr Wozniacki on Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
PreviousNext

Return to DaVinci Resolve