Resolve Panel Key Backlighting when not using Resolve

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

William McGough

Resolve Panel Key Backlighting when not using Resolve

PostSun Jul 01, 2018 7:02 pm

Overall, I am very happy with my Resolve Micro Panel; however, I do have one gripe I think could be easily-addressed with a software update:

Even when Resolve has been quit and my computer is asleep, the Panel's keys remain illuminated. At first, this led me to constantly plug-in and unplug the panel, which was a nuisance. I then found the "Key Backlighting" setting in Preferences/User/Control Panels and turned it to 0, where I leave it. However, I do like the backlighting feature when I am using Resolve – I just don't want it on the other 16+ hours of the day when I am not using Resolve.

Request: Since the panels only work with Resolve, I would ask that a setting be added to Resolve so users could choose to only have Resolve Panel Key Backlighting active when Resolve was active. (Then, when Resolve was quit or the computer put in sleep mode, then panel would no longer be illuminated.)

Thank you very much!
Resolve Studio × Micro Panel, MacBook Pro 16" × eGPU (Vega Frontier Edition), Canon C200, Pocket Cinema Camera 4K × Metabones, Pocket Cinema Camera × Metabones, Eizo CG248-4K

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

Re: Resolve Panel Key Backlighting when not using Resolve

PostMon Jul 02, 2018 1:00 am

Which version of Resolve are you using?
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

Marc Wielage

PostMon Jul 02, 2018 1:17 am

You can solve this problem by using an X-10 remote AC power control, which will give you the ability to kill all power to the panel with the push of one button.

We have one on the Advanced Panel as well, just for the (very rare) cases where we have to reboot those -- less than once a week, if that.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

William McGough

PostMon Jul 02, 2018 5:06 am

Peter Chamberlain wrote:Which version of Resolve are you using?
@Peter,

I'm using Resolve Studio 15 Beta 5 and my Micro Panel is on software version 1.2.

Also, it is worth noting that the "0" value for the setting "Key Backlighting" setting doesn't turn the backlighting fully off (as one would suspect); rather, it puts them to ~5-10% brightness. (I really wish the 0 value would be fully off.)
Resolve Studio × Micro Panel, MacBook Pro 16" × eGPU (Vega Frontier Edition), Canon C200, Pocket Cinema Camera 4K × Metabones, Pocket Cinema Camera × Metabones, Eizo CG248-4K

William McGough

PostSun Jul 15, 2018 9:15 pm

William McGough wrote:
Peter Chamberlain wrote:Which version of Resolve are you using?
@Peter,

I'm using Resolve Studio 15 Beta 5 and my Micro Panel is on software version 1.2.

Also, it is worth noting that the "0" value for the setting "Key Backlighting" setting doesn't turn the backlighting fully off (as one would suspect); rather, it puts them to ~5-10% brightness. (I really wish the 0 value would be fully off.)
Behavior is the same in Resolve Studio 15 Beta 6.

William McGough

PostTue Sep 04, 2018 2:12 am

Unfortunately, this issue is still present in 15.0.1.

(Tested Resolve Studio 15.0.1.003 macOS 10.13.6.)

William McGough

PostFri Sep 14, 2018 4:52 pm

Unfortunately, this issue is still present in 15.1.

(Tested Resolve Studio 15.1.0.023 macOS 10.13.6.)

Marc Wielage

PostSat Sep 15, 2018 6:35 am

Have I mentioned you can kill the power with an X-10 remote system for $29?

Antoine Grasset

PostSat Sep 15, 2018 8:02 pm

Marc Wielage wrote:Have I mentioned you can kill the power with an X-10 remote system for $29?

Well that's a bit of a pain... Especially if you switch software all day.

Turning off the backlighting and panel monitors should be an option when Davinci is in the background.
The monitors exhibit some screen burning, I guess staying idle is not a good idea.

William McGough

PostSat Sep 15, 2018 10:44 pm

Marc Wielage wrote:Have I mentioned you can kill the power with an X-10 remote system for $29?
Marc, I appreciate the tip, but that should be woefully unnecessary. Much easier for me to just unplug it, which is what I do now. That being said, there is no reason I can think of why this shouldn't be an extremely easy software fix and much-desired improvement.

Marc Wielage

PostSat Sep 15, 2018 11:31 pm

William McGough wrote:Marc, I appreciate the tip, but that should be woefully unnecessary. Much easier for me to just unplug it, which is what I do now.

The advantage of doing it with a $29 X-10 remote is you don't have to bend over and unplug it by hand. One button push... it's done.

This is a bigger issue with the Mini Panel, which does have large LCD panels at the top, but I'm told there's been a screen saver update with the last firmware revision. I own both a Mini Panel and an Advanced Panel, and while the latter has a screen saver, I haven't had time to update the former yet. I still use an X-10 when I use either, because once in awhile, in a severe crash situation, you do need to do a complete reset in order to get it back up and running. I've had similar situations with Pro Tools controllers in the world of audio, so this is nothing new.

Antoine Grasset

PostSun Sep 16, 2018 12:59 am

Marc Wielage wrote:
William McGough wrote:Marc, I appreciate the tip, but that should be woefully unnecessary. Much easier for me to just unplug it, which is what I do now.

The advantage of doing it with a $29 X-10 remote is you don't have to bend over and unplug it by hand. One button push... it's done.

This is a bigger issue with the Mini Panel, which does have large LCD panels at the top, but I'm told there's been a screen saver update with the last firmware revision. I own both a Mini Panel and an Advanced Panel, and while the latter has a screen saver, I haven't had time to update the former yet. I still use an X-10 when I use either, because once in awhile, in a severe crash situation, you do need to do a complete reset in order to get it back up and running. I've had similar situations with Pro Tools controllers in the world of audio, so this is nothing new.

Thanks for pointing out the firmware update, I wasn't aware of that. Just installed : how/when does the sleep mode start ? is there any settings ?

About powering down, this is what BMD should have done :
1PC-250V-10A-Red-Black-Rocker-Switch-ON-OFF-Fused-IEC-320-C14-Inlet-Power-Socket.jpeg
1PC-250V-10A-Red-Black-Rocker-Switch-ON-OFF-Fused-IEC-320-C14-Inlet-Power-Socket.jpeg (39.42 KiB) Viewed 2001 times

malkazoid

PostTue Sep 18, 2018 11:55 pm

Ok - so all of you are way too polite.
And wonderfully constructive (thanks for the x-10 tip Marc).

I'm going to have to step in and be the prick.

I bought a mini and am loving evertyhing about it except this mind-boggling omission.
When I realized the panel never switches off, I had a caveman moment. I started looking everywhere for an off switch, trying combinations of panel keys. Even after reading about this short-coming, I didn't want to believe it and kept looking.

How does a team of engineers piece together such a beautiful piece of hardware, sell it for 3 grand, and omit a power switch BOTH in hardware and software? It still sends my brain into paroxysms weeks later.

Things got worse for me when the firmware update came: I thought, great, they jumped on it and it will be fixed... But all it does is blank the display of the LCD screens. It is a screen saver. Not a power switch. The LCD backlight is visibly still under power most of the time (mysteriously sometimes it really goes off, especially when Resolve is actually running). When the PC is powered down, commonly the panel itself stays powered all night until the next day.

Sorry, I'm not going to buy a remote power switch - call it an excess of principles: I want Blackmagic to fix this. I have to believe they will because otherwise the universe will not make sense.

I cover the panel when not in use to prevent dust from gumming it up, and heat builds up under the cover because there is no way to power this thing down reliably.

I can't find an analogy to describe how insane I think this is, because this very situation seems the epitome of any analogy to describe a crazy engineering oversight.

If there is some technical justification for this that has escaped my reckoning, I'd love to hear it.

Thanks for tolerating my rant. Somebody had to raise the blood pressure a bit here.
Last edited by malkazoid on Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
------------------------
Davinci Resolve Studio
Mini panel
Windows 10
Nvidia GTX1080ti

Antoine Grasset

PostWed Sep 19, 2018 12:08 am

malkazoid wrote:Sorry, I'm not going to buy a remote power switch - call it an excess of principles: I want Blackmagic to fix this. I have to believe they will because otherwise the universe will not make sense.

I cover the panel when not in use to prevent dust from gumming it up, and heat builds up under the cover because there is no way to power this thing down reliably.

I can't find an analogy to describe how insane I think this is, because this very situation seems the epitome of any analogy to describe an crazy engineering oversight.

Thanks for the good laugh, and I'm 100% with you on this rant.
Not providing a power switch is very unfortunate. Not powering down the monitors when going in screensaving mode is the opposite of smart.

But you know what, I'm just going to get this little guy and then drink enough tequila to forget this thread forever :lol: :twisted: :
C14-C13-Extension-Power-Cord-IEC-320-C13-Female-to-C14-Male-with10A-On-Off-Switch.jpg_640x640.jpg
C14-C13-Extension-Power-Cord-IEC-320-C13-Female-to-C14-Male-with10A-On-Off-Switch.jpg_640x640.jpg (29.13 KiB) Viewed 1989 times

malkazoid

PostWed Sep 19, 2018 12:47 am

Antoine Grasset wrote:
malkazoid wrote:Sorry, I'm not going to buy a remote power switch - call it an excess of principles: I want Blackmagic to fix this. I have to believe they will because otherwise the universe will not make sense.

I can't find an analogy to describe how insane I think this is, because this very situation seems the epitome of any analogy to describe an crazy engineering oversight.

Not providing a power switch is very unfortunate. Not powering down the monitors when going in screensaving mode is the opposite of smart.

But you know what, I'm just going to get this little guy and then drink enough tequila to forget this thread forever :lol: :twisted: :
C14-C13-Extension-Power-Cord-IEC-320-C13-Female-to-C14-Male-with10A-On-Off-Switch.jpg_640x640.jpg

Haha - well I applaud your pragmatism, and I'm sure it will get the job done. But I also bet you'll feel like you've added an after market plastic fin to a Ferrari... I might have to do the same thing once I've subdued my excessive principles - but you know what: as soon as I do, Blackmagic will fix it and I'll feel like I betrayed my principles for nothing. Then the rage will only be greater! I can't win...
------------------------
Davinci Resolve Studio
Mini panel
Windows 10
Nvidia GTX1080ti

Antoine Grasset

PostWed Sep 19, 2018 1:01 am

malkazoid wrote:
Antoine Grasset wrote:

Haha - well I applaud your pragmatism, and I'm sure it will get the job done. But I also bet you'll feel like you've added an after market plastic fin to a Ferrari... I might have to do the same thing once I've subdued my excessive principles - but you know what: as soon as I do, Blackmagic will fix it and I'll feel like I betrayed my principles for nothing. Then the rage will only be greater! I can't win...

There's one solution left...
As I'm pretty sure the panel is full of emptiness, you could dremel your way around the existing IEC connector and replace it with one that comes with a switch.
Any volunteer ?

Marc Wielage

PostWed Sep 19, 2018 1:26 am

malkazoid wrote:When I realized the panel never switches off, I had a caveman moment. I started looking everywhere for an off switch, trying combinations of panel keys. Even after reading about this short-coming, I didn't want to believe it and kept looking. How does a team of engineers piece together such a beautiful piece of hardware, sell it for 3 grand, and omit a power switch BOTH in hardware and software? It still sends my brain into paroxysms weeks later.

There is a philosophy among some engineers that a leading cause of hardware failure is an on/off power cycle. The issue is that this is the moment where the circuits are most stressed, when they get hit with the initial inrush of current. One solution -- which Dolby and many other audio companies have done -- is to have no "off" switch at all and require the users to leave the gear on 100% of the time. You'd be surprised how many professional companies do that. There was no power switch on the Grass Valley switchers in TV production during the 1980s and 1990s, either, and most fixed (non-portable) audio mixing consoles I've seen also have no power switch. So to them, the lack of a power switch is a feature, not a problem.

In April of last year, I wrote a 2000-word review of the Mini Panel and did cite the lack of power switch, plus my X10 solution. But stuff like this doesn't bother me -- if I can solve it myself, I just live with my solution and move on. I have far bigger problems in my life to deal with than a non-existent power switch.

https://mixinglight.com/color-tutorial/ ... rol-panel/

malkazoid

PostWed Sep 19, 2018 1:37 am

In the spirit of self-sacrifice, I ordered a PDU cord with switch.
Now Blackmagic can swoop in with a firmware update to rescue everyone and make a fool of me. Any seconds now...
------------------------
Davinci Resolve Studio
Mini panel
Windows 10
Nvidia GTX1080ti

William McGough

PostSat Sep 29, 2018 5:54 pm

Unfortunately, this issue is still present in 15.1.1.

(Tested Resolve Studio 15.1.1.005 macOS 10.14.)

Glenn Sakatch

PostSun Sep 30, 2018 5:55 pm

I own a bunch of BM hardware. Scopes, converters, DA's, Teranex...none of them have a power switch.
I don't have the mini panel yet, but it is on the wish list.

I'm with Marc except I just get a power bar, and kill em all with one flick.

The irony is that I have 2 Euphonix controls on my desk. They both have power switches, and you know what....I never turn them off. :)

Marc Wielage

PostMon Oct 01, 2018 2:43 am

Glenn Sakatch wrote:I own a bunch of BM hardware. Scopes, converters, DA's, Teranex...none of them have a power switch. I don't have the mini panel yet, but it is on the wish list. I'm with Marc except I just get a power bar, and kill em all with one flick.

Yeah, we did that back in our analog days: we had Furman power strips, routed the AC for all the Dolbys, EQs, and other processors to the Furman, and when we shut down for a weekend, we'd kill it all there. I think it was a standard audio thing to not have a power switch (in general). Solid-state amps did tend to produce a lot of heat, so we'd turn those off when not in use but let them "warm up" for at least an hour prior to a session. For tube devices, particularly CRT displays, we left them on 24/7 but made sure we had black routed to the screen so nothing ever got burned in. Tube film scanners (like the Ranks) were left on as well, but at minimal voltage. I think solid-state stuff stabilizes in less than 5 minutes.

The irony is that I have 2 Euphonix controls on my desk. They both have power switches, and you know what....I never turn them off. :)

Yeah, I can't recall ever turning a mixing panel or video switcher off. Some stuff you just left on all the time.

Since neither the Mini Panel, the Micro Panel, or the Advanced Panel consumes much power nor creates much heat, you can make a good argument just to leave them on. If I was annoyed with the readouts on the Mini, I'd kill it with a remote switch (either the wireless one I use or the very-affordable wired one Walter mentions above).

ntbone

PostThu Dec 16, 2021 2:00 am

Just set up my Micro Panel for a more permanent installation and realized the back lights are still on. While I am assuming this is LED it still seems wasteful to just have it on when the software is not in use. As of 17.4 and firmware 2.0, it still just stays on regardless of whether one is using Lightroom or not.

Suggestions were made above to put some sort of power switch in between but the MicroPanel is USB-C only. It has no other cables connecting it. That means that there's no way to turn it off. It even stays lit when its not connected to a computer and just receiving power from say a monitor. This sadly means having to unplug it when I am not using it and plug it back in when I want to, something I was really hoping not to have to do.

Uli Plank

PostThu Dec 16, 2021 2:42 am

BM should be able to solve this. After all, they did it with the cheaper SE. It’ll gracefully go to sleep when not used by DR and it even calls DR to the foreground when you touch it.
Having built quite a bit of electronics in a former life, I second that switching off mains is not good for the guts of such devices. We have better technology available these days.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.5, MacOS 13.6.5
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G, iMac 2017, eGPU

Marc Wielage

PostThu Dec 16, 2021 8:38 am

Uli Plank wrote:BM should be able to solve this. After all, they did it with the cheaper SE. It’ll gracefully go to sleep when not used by DR and it even calls DR to the foreground when you touch it. Having built quite a bit of electronics in a former life, I second that switching off mains is not good for the guts of such devices. We have better technology available these days.

Most Blackmagic hardware (at least the 4K UltraStudios, the Hyperdecks, the control surfaces, etc.) just stay turned on, which is a traditional "engineering" approach. It is true that devices tend to fail on a power cycle, especially when turning on. I understand the thinking behind it.

Perhaps BMD will consider dimming the panel backlighting (as they already do on the Advanced Panels) with a future software update.

ntbone

PostSun Dec 19, 2021 10:42 pm

I have successfully used a USB-3 on/off switch to solve my problems. This product from Cable Matters https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08M45QM3J works. Pair it with a short USB-A to USB-C cable and you can turn the Micro Panel off when not in use without having to unplug it.

One of the selling points of the Micro panel is supposed to be portability, so it should have been designed with the intention that a person would be unplugging and plugging it back in. Further, if a laptop is being used as a primary editing station, being plugged in and unplugged would also be a common situation. I am more concerned with leaving it plugged in, powered and lit for days on end when not in use then it losing power. In my use case scenario, I am not about to turn it on and off every time I walk away from my desk but more so when I am done editing for the day.

Return to DaVinci Resolve