Frame rate questions

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Dominic Ryan

Frame rate questions

PostThu Jul 12, 2018 1:41 am

Hi All,

A few quick questions I'm hoping I can get some guidance on. Not sure what is best practice here, however I shoot a lot of video at 50 or 60 fps as I like having the option of slow motion in post for faster moving objects. I also usually like to set my projects framerate to 24 which obviously causes issues with dropped frames resulting in jerky playback. Questions are;

1. Should I be setting anything in particular in regards to frame interpolation to help smooth out these frame rate mismatch issues?
  2. When conforming these higher frame rate clips back to 24fps, what is the best option for applying the motion blur like effect of 24fps?
  3. Finally, I use FiLMiC Pro on my Android phone for chasing the kids around run & gun style. Works well mostly working in conjunction with with a DJI Osmo Mobile, however from time to time will suffer from a few dropped frames due to the processing overhead from FiLMiC Pro. Would the optimal flow frame interpolation method be viable for filling in any gaps here (or is this not how it works)?

Thanks for any pointers.
Resolve 18.5.1
Win 11
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X
Gigabyte AB350 Gaming 3 Motherboard
Nvidia Geforce 1080Ti 11GB
2TB NVMe (boot & scratch)
48TB Media Drive (PrimoCache: 4TB NVMe as L2 cache, 3 x 16TB EXOS SATA as data)
64GB DDR4 (32GB as PrimoCache L1 cache)

Igor Riđanović

Re: Frame rate questions

PostThu Jul 12, 2018 2:03 am

Optical flow will yield the best quality. However, it will cause artifacts when motion estimation gets confused. Watch areas where moving objects cross as well as the frame edges.

There is a motion blur effect in the color page. It's on the same tab as noise reduction.

In my experience optical flow doesn't fix dropped frames straight out of the box, but it's worth a try.
www.metafide.com - DaVinci Resolve™ Apps

Return to DaVinci Resolve