Just a few Product Enhancement Suggestions

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

TheCreativeCell

Just a few Product Enhancement Suggestions

PostFri Jul 13, 2018 9:32 pm

First of all I want to say thank you to Blackmagic for making the best video editing software on the market. I use Final Cut, Premiere, and have used AVID and as things currently stand, Resolve not only functions in a way that is the most intuitive but the interface is slick looking. It’s a fun program with every sub app one needs to create a full production (Fusion Fairlight etc). Amazing app and thank you for making it free. Having said that... all products can continuously improved. Here are just 4 minor improvements that I think would broaden the user audience of Resolve.

1- Create the ability for a project editor/user to make a master project file that is an official file not based on a database system.

Rationale : I understand that the database approach to storing project files is derived from high end editing studio approaches, but if Resolve wants to reach a higher number of people and continue to grow its user base faster, make the database system of storing project files optional... not mandatory as it adds several unnecessary steps beyond what is really needed to get the job done in terms of copying, moving, the master project file. New users coming over from Premiere or Final Cut will spend a lot of unnecessary extra time understanding this approach which takes yet more time out of the editor’s life. If Blackmagic provides the Davinci software for free, then one can safely assume they are trying to reach a wider audience of users including new editors. If this is the case, Creating the ability to save a master project file stored in the folder of choice is a much simpler and straightforward approach when learning the software. Additionally if a user wants to copy media or project files from hard drive to hard drive this is easily done with this approach. for those users who love the database approach Blackmagic can also keep that as an option. Just give the users a choice between the two methods. The goal is to make things as smooth and simple as possible for the editors which will help them focus on creating a good story not and being bogged down in figuring out the project file system. Yes there are editors who already know how to do all of this and that is fine, but I’m inferring to new editors and users migrating from other systems.

2- In the Fairlight audio tab, When recording audio w a microphone and then quickly hitting stop, and immediately after hitting stop taking the mouse and dragging the play head back-and-forth, the response time is often delayed and operations from that point forward at times delay greatly... only to catch up seconds later. Final Cut X in this department has done a good job with this. Their play head rarely delays when draging immediately following a different media trimming or recording operation. The play head in Resolve seems to have excellent response time when in the editing window, but experiences delays in the audio window, especially after performing an immediate operation before. Basic idea ... work towards making response times of all play heads in all Resolve sub apps lightning fast.

3- Basic operations in Fusion. Again let me think Blackmagic for putting a awesome program like Fusion inside Resolve and doing it for free. But building upon the theme of keeping things simple for new users trying to learn Resolve and Fusion , there are some very basic things that would be helpful to put inside of Fusion that would speed up the rate in which projects can be made. The extremely simple and first example I can think of is creating a border around a video frame. Yes I know it’s possible to create a border around video frame in Fusion , but it takes several steps and is not obvious. On the other hand in Apple Motion creating a border around a video object or many other objects for that matter is as simple as going up to the effects menu and selecting border>> add border. There are several more example of how simple tasks are more complex than they need to be in Fusion.

I plan on adding a few more suggestions about this later but I have to go. I do understand that both resolve infusion our top level pro apps.... but that doesn’t mean that just because they are pro apps or have their origins in higher end studios that certain operations have to be unnecessarily complex taking 8 to 10 clicks to finish when in other programs it takes two or three clicks. It’s important to keep in mind that the genius of great designers’ of any sort of engineering feat is to make things exceedingly simple for the end user while still maintaining a high level of sophistication in total potential. The bottom line... overly complex does not mean more professional.

Jim Simon

Re: Just a few Product Enhancement Suggestions

PostSat Jul 14, 2018 9:03 pm

I'm skeptical that changing the database method would prove to be a simple task. Further, you can currently export individual projects as .drp files to be used as you would a .prproj file.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Return to DaVinci Resolve