Feature Request - Blanking Identification

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Chad Mumford

Feature Request - Blanking Identification

PostFri Jul 13, 2018 10:26 pm

Hello,

We receive a lot of XMLs and AAFs that we import with their sizing information. Sometimes, a resized clip will have accidental "blanking" (black space around the edge of the frame). Most of the time we catch it but it's sometimes very difficult to see where the edge of the image ends and black background the record viewer begins.

It would be fantastic if there was a way to change the color of the black background of the record viewer to help identify blanking during playback. Or perhaps a more elegant solution that uses the UI instead of relying on human identification. I know that most if not all QC software identifies blanking.

This may seem trivial request to a lot of users but about half of the QCs we reject are from blanking so I know it's an issue.

Thank you for your time.

Marc Wielage

Re: Feature Request - Blanking Identification

PostSat Jul 14, 2018 10:24 am

Chad Mumford wrote:We receive a lot of XMLs and AAFs that we import with their sizing information. Sometimes, a resized clip will have accidental "blanking" (black space around the edge of the frame). Most of the time we catch it but it's sometimes very difficult to see where the edge of the image ends and black background the record viewer begins.

I generally can catch it using the Safe Action reticle generator, using the outer-most box as a guide.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Micha Clazing

PostSat Jul 14, 2018 2:05 pm

Just put a magic pink colour matte on the bottom of the timeline, that's how I usually deal with stabilised footage that might not always cover the full frame.

Chad Mumford

PostTue Jul 17, 2018 3:11 am

Micha Clazing wrote:Just put a magic pink colour matte on the bottom of the timeline, that's how I usually deal with stabilised footage that might not always cover the full frame.

This is what we currently do and it works pretty well.

Return to DaVinci Resolve