New MacBook Pro

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Rakesh Malik

Re: New MacBook Pro

PostTue Jul 31, 2018 10:04 pm

Brad Hurley wrote:Nah, you missed the part where I replied that most laptop users are not using them as dedicated studio machines that only run a video post-production program and nothing else.

No, I just didn't take it seriously because there are so few applications that aren't available for both platforms, a great many of the best business management applications are web-based, and they work the same way regardless of what machine you're running on. For me the productivity down time associated with moving from one platform to another is identical, and 100% driven by how much stuff I have to install before I can dive and get working. And almost all of it is the same software... so far the only ones that have given me any impedence are LightWorks because of EditShare's asinine license management, and ZBrush because I haven't jumped through the requisite hoops to get OSX license codes generated.

Neither of those issues are anything that either Apple or Microdork can control or influence however.
Rakesh Malik
Cinematographer, photographer, adventurer, martial artist
http://WinterLight.studio
System:
Asus Flow X13, Octacore Zen3/32GB + XG Mobile nVidia RTX 3080/16GB
Apple M1 Mini/16GB

Rakesh Malik

PostTue Jul 31, 2018 10:05 pm

rick.lang wrote:Rakesh, Apple officially stopped thinking of itself as a computer company when they changed their name from Apple Computer Inc to Apple Inc. And that was much to the chagrin of the Beatles’ Apple. Apple is involved in technology, but just like your neighbourhood pharmacy that sells food, Apple is becoming less reliant on computers for their income each year. Their next major line of business: mobility (cars, bikes, scooters—anything that uses electronic technology to move you).

True. Maybe the half-a$$ed overpriced computer slackery is an inside plot to convince the high muckety much of Apple's muddle management that computers aren't worth investing in any more. :)
Rakesh Malik
System:
Apple M1 Mini/16GB

JacobSchuhle

PostThu Aug 02, 2018 1:33 pm

You know that total cost of ownership is lower with a Mac vs a PC?

Anyway, I've just got a new 15" MPB and an eGPU with an RX 580. If anyone has any questions I'm happy to try and answer them, but so far I'm very happy with it!

Rakesh Malik

PostThu Aug 02, 2018 2:01 pm

JacobSchuhle wrote:You know that total cost of ownership is lower with a Mac vs a PC?

I find that rather hard to believe, especially lately.

Maybe Apple will figure it out. Or maybe this is the last hurrah.
Rakesh Malik
System:
Apple M1 Mini/16GB

Dan Sherman

PostThu Aug 02, 2018 2:53 pm

JacobSchuhle wrote:You know that total cost of ownership is lower with a Mac vs a PC?
Pass me whatever you are smoking!
AMD 7950X | AMD 7900XTX (23.20.24) | DDR5-6000 CL30-40-40-96 2x32 GB | Multiple PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME | ASUS x670e HERO | Win 11 Pro 23H2 | Resolve Studio 18.6.5 B7

Andrew Kolakowski

PostThu Aug 02, 2018 3:13 pm

This may be true for corporation with big numbers of employees and dedicated IT department.
This is not true for "single" owners.

Dan Sherman

PostThu Aug 02, 2018 3:43 pm

Andrew Kolakowski wrote:

This may be true for corporation with big numbers of employees and dedicated IT department.

The company I work for has almost 800 employees, and even at our size, total cost of ownership is higher.

Just the other day I saw a YT video where someone had an imac pro apart, and the power supply was not shielded/covered. If you don't know much about electronics, you could literally kill yourself or end up in the ER if you touched the wrong thing.
AMD 7950X | AMD 7900XTX (23.20.24) | DDR5-6000 CL30-40-40-96 2x32 GB | Multiple PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME | ASUS x670e HERO | Win 11 Pro 23H2 | Resolve Studio 18.6.5 B7

Rakesh Malik

PostThu Aug 02, 2018 4:05 pm

Andrew Kolakowski wrote:This may be true for corporation with big numbers of employees and dedicated IT department.

I've yet to find a corporate IT department that thought macs had a lower cost of ownership. The last one I worked at that had a significant Mac user base had to scrimp on peripherals like docking stations because of the cost of the macs.
Rakesh Malik
System:
Apple M1 Mini/16GB

Andrew Kolakowski

PostThu Aug 02, 2018 4:53 pm

Ask IBM- they said that Macs saved them huge money.
I worked for huge VFX house and their IT hated maintain PCs, so they were used only when needed. Whole sales etc was based on Macs and core machines were Linux.

rick.lang

PostThu Aug 02, 2018 5:03 pm

Rakesh Malik wrote:True. Maybe the half-a$$ed overpriced computer slackery is an inside plot to convince the high muckety much of Apple's muddle management that computers aren't worth investing in any more. :)

Tuesday’s quarterly report showed all Mac declining revenue at about 10% of the total revenue with unit sales much lower. And right on the heels are all iPad sales about 9%. With the girls starting university next month, I’m thinking of buying them iPad Pros rather than MacBooks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rick Lang

Brad Hurley

PostThu Aug 02, 2018 5:07 pm

Andrew Kolakowski wrote:Ask IBM- they said that Macs saved them huge money.

See https://www.cio.com/article/3133945/har ... -user.html
or https://www.jamf.com/blog/debate-over-i ... -than-pcs/

I'm still skeptical, though; it probably depends on where you draw the fencelines around "total cost of ownership" and what non-monetized costs you quantify (and how you quantify them).
Resolve 18 Studio, Mac Pro 3.0 GHz 8-core, 32 gigs RAM, dual AMD D700 GPU.
Audio I/O: Sound Devices USBPre-2

Andrew Kolakowski

PostThu Aug 02, 2018 5:19 pm

You ned to give it few years. PCs are difficult to maintain: remote management, install/configure software like Adobe etc. I know that company where I worked would not waste money on Macs only because they are shiny and look nice :)

JacobSchuhle

PostThu Aug 02, 2018 7:55 pm

Sold the old MacBook Pro for 2/5ths what I paid for it 5 years ago, so I’d definitely say that a computer that cost my business £300 a year is excellent value, and lower than an equivalent pc. But the bottom line for me is that if continuing to use a Mac saves 1/2 a day of productivity a year then it’s already paid for itself.

Uli Plank

PostFri Aug 03, 2018 3:14 am

@Rick: Not a bad idea. When I had to give my MBP back to my former employer, I decided to get an iPad Pro.

We have an iMac at home-office, which I normally use for video and a MBP 13" which my wife loves for writing, photo and layout, but she has a big screen and a separate keyboard. Even if the MBP is not much bigger or heavier than her former MB Air, we sometimes fight over the iPad when going to have presentations elsewhere. That's a capable little beast (the iPad). Well, the wife too, in her own way ;-)
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

John Palaganas

PostFri Aug 03, 2018 3:58 am

Anyway, I've just got a new 15" MPB and an eGPU with an RX 580. If anyone has any questions I'm happy to try and answer them, but so far I'm very happy with it!

Whats your overall impression when using it with Davinci Resolve? What was your previous system?

rick.lang

PostFri Aug 03, 2018 5:01 am

Uli Plank wrote:@Rick: Not a bad idea. When I had to give my MBP back to my former employer, I decided to get an iPad Pro... That's a capable little beast (the iPad). Well, the wife too, in her own way ;-)

D’oh! Ditto. My wife uses my iPad Air more than I do. Would be quite a step up to the next iPad Pro in September presumably. Kinda cruel that Apple’s back to school promotion is gear that will be ‘last year’s models’ a month later. Apple finished above $1T today for the first time in the history of any public corporation so I understand they need every dollar.

Rick Lang

Uli Plank

PostFri Aug 03, 2018 6:36 am

Desperately! To achieve another historical first…
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

JacobSchuhle

PostFri Aug 03, 2018 11:40 am

John Palaganas wrote:

Whats your overall impression when using it with Davinci Resolve? What was your previous system?

Its very fast. I've just been finishing off a project that was previously taking 2.5 hours to render (top spec late 2013 macbook pro). It now takes 25 minutes without the eGPU and 10 with... I'm not sure if the eGPU would be even faster if it was rendering the footage from SSD (the project is on spinning disks). !

The other nice thing is that the Mac is still fairly useable for other tasks (I'm rendering as I write this). Whereas before it was painful to use whilst rendering.

https://imgur.com/a/5tRuqdP is the spec.

Uli Plank

PostFri Aug 03, 2018 12:04 pm

I'm impressed that it should be 2.5 times faster with the eGPU. Could it be that you were not using the 560, but the Intel without the eGPU? Which resolution was your timeline?
In my tests with the iMac with the identical GPU I gained about 80%. As long as the VRAM isn't the limit, I'd expect about 120% gain, not 150.

JacobSchuhle

PostFri Aug 03, 2018 2:36 pm

Uli Plank wrote:I'm impressed that it should be 2.5 times faster with the eGPU. Could it be that you were not using the 560, but the Intel without the eGPU? Which resolution was your timeline?
In my tests with the iMac with the identical GPU I gained about 80%. As long as the VRAM isn't the limit, I'd expect about 120% gain, not 150.

It was a 4k timeline, and definitely not running on the intel GPU...

Uli Plank

PostFri Aug 03, 2018 4:14 pm

Free version or Studio? Are both GPUs used to compute?

John Palaganas

PostSat Aug 04, 2018 12:03 am

JacobSchuhle wrote:
John Palaganas wrote:

Its very fast. I've just been finishing off a project that was previously taking 2.5 hours to render (top spec late 2013 macbook pro). It now takes 25 minutes without the eGPU and 10 with... I'm not sure if the eGPU would be even faster if it was rendering the footage from SSD (the project is on spinning disks). !

The other nice thing is that the Mac is still fairly useable for other tasks (I'm rendering as I write this). Whereas before it was painful to use whilst rendering.

https://imgur.com/a/5tRuqdP is the spec.

Thanks for the insight Jacob! How's 4K playback with nodes, LUTs and OFX on Resolve?

JacobSchuhle

PostMon Aug 06, 2018 9:16 am

John Palaganas wrote:Thanks for the insight Jacob! How's 4K playback with nodes, LUTs and OFX on Resolve?

I've been getting about 10-15fps, but the limit there is certainly the spinning drives rather than the GPU. I'll try with some 4k proxies when I'm next in the office.

Rakesh Malik

PostMon Aug 06, 2018 6:22 pm

Andrew Kolakowski wrote:You ned to give it few years. PCs are difficult to maintain: remote management, install/configure software like Adobe etc. I know that company where I worked would not waste money on Macs only because they are shiny and look nice :)

This wasn't exactly a new shop... it's been around a long time.

VA Tech bought a Mac cluster over a Dell once. It was pretty clearly a PR stunt by Apple, though it ended up backfiring because it didn't even work due to not having ECC support.

The cluster had 1100 G5 macs. That's 4 DIMMs per mac, and when you analyse the probability of a memory error for that many DIMMs, it works out to an average of one per hour... which makes a large 2-3 day distributed simulation run a non-starter; you have run 3 to make sure that you have ONE good. Bad move on VA Tech's part.

But there's more! A lot more.

Apple's price included just the computers.

Dell's significantly higher price also included building out the power and network infrastructures, on site support for five years, and an upgrade involving additional compute nodes during that five year period (it was one upgrade, I think).

So Apple's seemingly lower price wasn't actually a winner, on top of needing a full replacement after Apple implemented ECC support.

What I've gathered from the IT staff over the years is that the support burden in terms of work is basically the same when you account for how many of them there are to support, but the costs are higher because everything Apple-related costs more... so the costs overall end up being higher.
Rakesh Malik
System:
Apple M1 Mini/16GB

Andrew Kolakowski

PostMon Aug 06, 2018 9:39 pm

Well- if we believe IBM they said exactly opposite. Initial cost are higher (no one denies it), but after few years overall cost turns out lower. This is the whole point- bigger companies work differently and analyse things based on eg. 5 years+ terms.

Maybe it has changed in last few years, but you always needed more support people for same amount of PCs then for Mac or Linux (even Resolve seems to be least stable on PC). It's also much easier to maintain remotely Linux or Mac. Actual support people earn same money. Companies may be shifting towards PCs mainly because of lack Apple pro machines and fact that Apple doesn't really care anymore much about Mac sales. This may cost them badly (they are far from domination in music, VOD etc. industries) in long terms as many people buy Apple products for whole integration between phones, Macs etc.

I know big company which bought 1MLN$ storage from IBM which never worked properly (never been fixed). It does happen. Pr crap is the least thing which I pay attention to :)

Uli Plank

PostTue Aug 07, 2018 3:43 am

I would have changed to PCs two years ago if it wasn't about integration between my phone, my pad and my computers. If I have to change to PC, my next phone won't necessarily be an iPhone either.

rick.lang

New MacBook Pro

PostTue Aug 07, 2018 4:27 am

And then your watch reminds you to pickup some milk and eggs when you’re in the grocery store after receiving a notice from your refrigerator that you are out of milk and down to two eggs. On the way home in your car, the car informs you that you were able to get those concert tickets at only $200 a seat and asks you if the car should order your regular take out dinner for pickup in 30 minutes which means you have time to get the teens from their workout st the gym as the exercise machine has sent an alert that they’ve going to be waiting at the entrance in ten minutes.

And then Siri will ask if you’ve had a good day and tell you she thinks your interview for that new job went well but she’s not sure if all your answers were completely accurate since she noticed some comments were not supported by the Wiki.

You can hardly wait until you get to the sensory deprivation pool at 8 pm, and Siri requests the pool heater to bring the temperature of the slurry up to 27 degrees.

Rick Lang

Uli Plank

PostTue Aug 07, 2018 5:48 am

Brave new world, yeah.

Andrew Kolakowski

PostTue Aug 07, 2018 9:40 am

Uli Plank wrote:I would have changed to PCs two years ago if it wasn't about integration between my phone, my pad and my computers. If I have to change to PC, my next phone won't necessarily be an iPhone either.

I like my old Macbook Pro (not so much work newer one), but never had an iPhone and probably never will. Mid-range Samsung phone is all what I need and Apple's pr crap nothing going to change it :D

JacobSchuhle

PostTue Aug 07, 2018 12:03 pm

JacobSchuhle wrote:
Andrew Kolakowski wrote:I like my old Macbook Pro (not so much work newer one), but never had an iPhone and probably never will. Mid-range Samsung phone is all what I need and Apple's pr crap nothing going to change it :D
I've had Android/iOS, and prefer the iPhone. Its not really on topic though.

Anyway, I've tried some 4.6k RAW through the eGPU and with a 4 node grade (including a mask) it runs at a solid 25fps on a UHD timeline. 30fps runs at 28fps.

With additional NR that drops to 8-11fps (2 frames, temporal)
With additional grain 8fps (no NR)

Andrew Kolakowski

PostTue Aug 07, 2018 12:10 pm

JacobSchuhle wrote:
Anyway, I've tried some 4.6k RAW through the eGPU and with a 4 node grade (including a mask) it runs at a solid 25fps on a UHD timeline. 30fps runs at 28fps.

Is limit at around 30p due to CPU or GPU running out of juice?

Can you try my Cineform RAW clip (ignore blue/anamorphic look):

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1qYQD1 ... dq9kII8lLJ

this should be limited rather by GPU than CPU.

JacobSchuhle

PostTue Aug 07, 2018 12:34 pm

Andrew Kolakowski wrote:
JacobSchuhle wrote:

Is limit at around 30p due to CPU or GPU running out of juice?

Can you try my Cineform RAW clip (ignore blue/anamorphic look):

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1qYQD1 ... dq9kII8lLJ

this should be limited rather by GPU than CPU.

Between 36-37fps on a UHD 50p timeline, with the same grade as before

Andrew Kolakowski

PostTue Aug 07, 2018 12:38 pm

It will be down to GPU I assume (what is CPU load?)
If you change project to HD then it will probably go much faster.

JacobSchuhle

PostTue Aug 07, 2018 12:41 pm

Andrew Kolakowski wrote:It will be down to GPU I assume (what is CPU load?)
If you change project to HD then it will probably go much faster.

Its reporting 406-552%... I assume that's something to do with multiple cores, rather than some kind of breakdown in the laws of mathematics

Andrew Kolakowski

PostTue Aug 07, 2018 12:50 pm

It's 100 per thread, for 6 cores CPU (12 threads) 100% is 1200.

rick.lang

PostTue Aug 07, 2018 6:12 pm

1200% is Maximum ultilization of 12 threads. It is confusing alright. Other monitors will show 100% meaning all 12 threads are at Maximum.

Rick Lang
Previous

Return to DaVinci Resolve