Why has Resolve applied a LUT to my entire project?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

InterrobangMP

Why has Resolve applied a LUT to my entire project?

PostSun Jul 15, 2018 2:00 am

I'm pretty new to Resolve, and am currently working through Film Simplified's tutorials, however I feel like I have just come across a bug in the Public Beta version.
I'm learning about how to apply LUTs and Resolve seems to have applied a project-wide LUT without me asking it to.
I'm working on an Apple ProRes 422 EDL which I brought in from Premiere.
Some clips which have grades applied have the little coloured outline to denote a graded clip, however, even ones without this indication clearly have a LUT applied. I have no LUTs applied to the project in the settings dialogue either.
Opening and closing the project, the problem is still there.
If I view each clip with the "bypass" button applied, the LUT still appears to be applied to all the clips.
Am I missing something here, or is this indeed a bug?
2021 Macbook Pro M1Max
10-core CPU, 32-core GPU and 16-core Neural Engine
64GB RAM
Resolve 18

Uli Plank

Re: Why has Resolve applied a LUT to my entire project?

PostSun Jul 15, 2018 6:50 am

How are you viewing your footage?
If it's not an I/O device with a calibrated monitor, the display on a Windows machine will be off from what the final footage looks like on a TV. Not a bug, but a well known condition for using Resolve, see config guide.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

InterrobangMP

PostSun Jul 15, 2018 8:47 am

No, it's nothing to do with that. The clips clearly have a LUT applied. I'm new to Resolve, but not to colour grading. The LUT that has been applied looks like one of the LUTs I was experimenting with and applying to individual clips whilst doing the above mentioned tutorials.

And I forgot to mention in the first post that I have checked to see if LUTs have been applied over the whole timeline or a group as well. But even if this was so, I would expect the LUT's effect to not show when in bypass mode.
2021 Macbook Pro M1Max
64GB RAM
Resolve 18

Lance Braud

PostSun Jul 15, 2018 5:52 pm

Are you using "Davinci color managed" in your project settings? If so, change it to yRGB and check out the manual on how that works.
Resolve Studio v16.2.3 | Nvidia GTX 1070 | v451.48 | Win10 x64 | AMD TR-1950X 16G RAM

InterrobangMP

PostMon Jul 16, 2018 4:36 am

Thanks Lance,

I am using DaVinci yRGB. And I have since deleted the media that had this issue and am using the same EDL, but editing a new set of clips that the EDL made from the reference .H264 MP4 file I made simply as a reference to check that the EDL I imported had done everything right. The MP4 clips are not exhibiting the aforementioned LUT. However, U will now not be able to troubleshoot this problem as I have deleted the Prores clips. I will have to wait until the problem appears again!
2021 Macbook Pro M1Max
64GB RAM
Resolve 18

ejpontius

PostWed Jul 18, 2018 8:06 pm

There is a Look up tables section in the Resolve settings under color management that will apply a selected LUT to every timeline in the project. These LUTs are applied before other operations.

Return to DaVinci Resolve