Feature Request: Full Screen zoom-in

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

zorrofx

Feature Request: Full Screen zoom-in

PostMon Jul 16, 2018 5:46 pm

#FeatureRequest -Forgive me if this has discussed already. I couldn't find it in the forum.

When going from Normal Viewer to Full Screen viewer, the zoom level stays the same. It should zoom-in, matching what the normal viewer was displaying. This will eliminate the tedious process of zooming in yet again, in order to see more detail. This would be the expected behavior, fundamental when doing detailed masks (rotoscoping) and speeding interaction up greatly.
Please, developer team? This ought to be an easy one. Thank you

Resolve Studio 14 on OS X 10.12.6
Victor Melton, Flame Artist, Colorist

Marc Wielage

Re: Feature Request: Full Screen zoom-in

PostWed Jul 18, 2018 10:45 am

I bet you could program this as a macro with a macro program: like one button triggers command/control-F and then center-mouse (to zoom in). It could be done. But as a feature, I think it's tough. I don't always want to zoom in when I go full-screen for a tracking situation, and even if I did, I might want to zoom in to the left or the right and not straight in. Hard to predict these things.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

zorrofx

PostWed Jul 18, 2018 9:16 pm

I see your point. So then it could be a preference we can turn on or off.
I usually start a mask in the normal viewer and, at some point if it isn't good enough, I need to zoom in to get a better definition. At that point, I'd like it to zoom in so I can keep working but with a larger view of what I had going, that's all.
Victor Melton, Flame Artist, Colorist

Marc Wielage

PostFri Jul 20, 2018 4:05 am

zorrofx wrote:At that point, I'd like it to zoom in so I can keep working but with a larger view of what I had going, that's all.

That's true, but the viewer is dumb: it doesn't know where to zoom in. You could ask, "how about a mode where it automatically zooms 50% towards wherever the cursor has to be," but even that's fraught with problems. I had a situation just last week where I had a complex tracking mask issue where I had four windows in one node (rare for me), and each had to be tracked separately in order to cut a performer out of the background. And I did a lot of manual zooming and manual roto in order to finesse the track. Eh, it's part of the job. Lots of loud music in the room and heavy drugs will get you through the session.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Return to DaVinci Resolve