Re-importing grade into Final Cut Pro X

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Pacific

Re-importing grade into Final Cut Pro X

PostMon Jul 16, 2018 9:06 pm

Importing and xml file into DaVinci Resolve automatically pulls in the files.

Going back to Final Cut Pro X doesn't seem to do that. I end up with an empty timeline and "file missing" signs.

So I have to import not just the xml file, but also the files I rendered out of DaVinci Resolve 14?

thanks!
DaVinci Resolve 18.6.5 Build 7
2020 27"iMac 4GB Vram 16GB RAM, i9 10-core processor, Mac OS Ventura,

paulgolden

Re: Re-importing grade into Final Cut Pro X

PostTue Jul 17, 2018 1:56 am

Are you using the FCPX export settings? That should give you an XML along with the rendered clips you're generating. Make sure select "unique" file names on export. When you import the generated XML into FCPX, you should have a new event in your library with the rendered exported clips already there. You shouldn't have to reconnect clips.

Pacific

PostThu Jul 19, 2018 8:03 pm

paulgolden wrote:Are you using the FCPX export settings? That should give you an XML along with the rendered clips you're generating. Make sure select "unique" file names on export. When you import the generated XML into FCPX, you should have a new event in your library with the rendered exported clips already there. You shouldn't have to reconnect clips.

Thank you, Paul.

I am using the FCP X export settings. I create a folder and there the rendered clips are collected.

But they are not going into FCP X.

All I get when I import the created xml file is an empty timeline with red fields "file missing" and no clips.

I researched the process and I have not done anything wrong.

I'll give it a try an import the rendered clips manually.

Pacific

PostThu Jul 19, 2018 11:49 pm

I figured out what was wrong.

For some reason, on previous exports the xml file was not inside the same folder as the rendered clips.

This time it worked and xml and rendered files were placed inside the same folder, and then, through importing the xml, all the scene files were imported as well.

So glad this worked!

Return to DaVinci Resolve