New user: key framing question

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

yesmine

New user: key framing question

PostTue Jul 17, 2018 12:46 am

I'm a first time user of Resolve Studio and have a question about key framing an OFX lens flare in Resolve. Some of my comments and experience of the last two days is below as well.
(Fwiw, I've been using Premier Pro lately, have experience with some other editors before that, but PP is what I'm familiar with recently.

While I love much of what I found in Resolve...being able to retime a clip is outstanding. Once I got the hang of it I wouldn't want to do it any other way. And there are so many things I'd love to do all in one program rather than bouncing between PP and AE and some other program. But this one thing stopped me completely...

I needed to insert a BCC 3d lens flare, everything came to a halt. All I needed for now was to simply key frame the starting point of the flare, and the end point, and maybe a couple of keys in between, for a fairly straight line of movement. Checking for help online, every place said -motion tracking- and explained all that so you could attach the flare to the tracker! Wow! All that just to move from a to b? I did a lot more looking at tutorials and saw that in the Color tab I might be able to set keys (dynamic/static). But after hours of trying with the OFX plugin, I could only get the keys to behave 'static'..I never could get dynamic movement so the flare would glide from a to b to c, etc. It just jumped at the next key, even when they were clearly set to dynamic and showed that in the timeline. I must have failed that tutorial. Plus, even with the flare showing in the node in the Color panel...it didn't show up in the Edit panel...so where was it? Very confusing.

So, I still want to love Resolve and I'm hoping someone might point me to a tutorial on how to easily set key frames for an OFX lens flare. I don't need all the cumbersome steps to make nodes and motion track then export/import data to/from Mocha..etc, etc, for now. I'm having to go back to PP for now, where each option has the 'diamond' key frame set right there and you just click-done, but I couldn't find anything quite that simple in Resolve. Maybe it just hasn't gotten there yet, but at least I'd like to know that much. If I'm missing something, I'd rather use Resolve. So any advice or recommendations will be much appreciated.
Thx..

Peter Cave

Re: New user: key framing question

PostTue Jul 17, 2018 3:47 am

For OFX plugins, the keyframing is done in the Inspector (not the node keyframing panel on the Color page), either in the Edit page or the Color page, depending on where you added the plugin.
Resolve 18.6.6 Mac OSX 14.4.1 Sonoma
Mac Studio Max 32GB

yesmine

PostTue Jul 17, 2018 7:51 pm

In the Edit window, the 'Inspector' panel normally shows several options with the small "diamond" icon on the right that you can click to key frame that option. If you have an OFX filter applied and then click on 'Inspector', at the top you get the choice of "Video" and "OpenFX", and clicking OpenFX lets you see the options for whatever filter you have applied. However, none of the options for an OFX filter have the 'diamond' icon that lets you choose to key frame them.

The little 'diamond' icon on the right seems to be the default place to find it these days. It's there in the Resolve "Inspector" panel and it's in the same spot when you use OFX plugins in Premiere Pro. But it sure isn't there in the OpenFX options in Resolve...it's almost like Resolve forgot to put a spot for the key frame option to appear, and I can't find anywhere in the filter options to key frame anything.

Peter Cave

PostWed Jul 18, 2018 12:59 am

Keyframing indicators all work fine for me. You may have other issues with your system, but you did not post any system info so I can't offer any more ideas.
Resolve 18.6.6 Mac OSX 14.4.1 Sonoma
Mac Studio Max 32GB

Marc Wielage

PostWed Jul 18, 2018 7:09 am

I have keyframed OFX effects just by confining them to a single node, then keyframing that node only (all parameters). You might be able to dig deep into the keyframe GUI to figure out where OFX is specifically keyed from, but there aren't enough hours in the day as it is for me. I'd rather say, "this is the OFX node, and I'm starting it here and ending it here." Very easy and simple to do.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Return to DaVinci Resolve