advance panel request

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

waltervolpatto

• Location: 1146 North Las Palmas Ave. Hollywood, California 90038 USA

advance panel request

PostWed Jul 18, 2018 5:18 am

The ball/ring on the left has three buttons underneath.
The one on the right toggle the [offset] of the 4th ball on/off - great
The other two does not look are doing much.

1) can we map [ctrl + C (copy)] on the left one
2) can we map [ctrl + V (paste)] on the center one

I Asked around and other artists are thinking in the same way: in this way we can have a copy 'n paste of a single node in the panel without using the mouse/keyboard or a Xkey just for that.

(can it be fixed via firmware also in v14.xx???)

Thanks.
W10-19043.1645- Supermicro MB C9X299-PGF - RAM 128GB CPU i9-10980XE 16c 4.3GHz (Oc) Water cooled
Decklink Studio 4K (12.3)
Resolve 18.5.1 / fusion studio 18
GPU 3090ti drivers 512.59 studio

Marc Wielage

Re: advance panel request

PostWed Jul 18, 2018 7:08 am

waltervolpatto wrote:The ball/ring on the left has three buttons underneath. The one on the right toggle the [offset] of the 4th ball on/off - great The other two does not look are doing much.

I have a list of about 20 things the Advanced Panels will not do. Cut & Paste (for node color) is high on that list. (I get that you could pull out the slide-in keyboard and do it that way, but it's an annoyance.)

I'm getting an Elgato Streamdeck controller this week, and I hope to program most of the 20 things into this keypad and just stick it next to the right-hand panel.

I suspect that BMD is much too busy with other things to be concerned about the few thousand users who own the Advanced Panels. But it is sad that there's at least a dozen buttons on the panel that do absolutely nothing, and those could be used for useful functions.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Dermot Shane

PostThu Jul 19, 2018 1:58 am

waltervolpatto wrote:The ball/ring on the left has three buttons underneath.
The one on the right toggle the [offset] of the 4th ball on/off - great
The other two does not look are doing much.

1) can we map [ctrl + C (copy)] on the left one
2) can we map [ctrl + V (paste)] on the center one

I Asked around and other artists are thinking in the same way: in this way we can have a copy 'n paste of a single node in the panel without using the mouse/keyboard or a Xkey just for that.

(can it be fixed via firmware also in v14.xx???)

Thanks.

that is excatly where i have had those mapped on my Artist Transport for a few years now, super useful
i have a/c mode beside that, can really help to copy a node, sort c-mode, paste away, step back to the first shot, sort A-mode and move on

Marc Wielage

PostThu Jul 19, 2018 5:18 am

Dermot Shane wrote:that is excatly where i have had those mapped on my Artist Transport for a few years now, super useful i have a/c mode beside that, can really help to copy a node, sort c-mode, paste away, step back to the first shot, sort A-mode and move on

We have an A-mode / C-mode sort available on the Advanced Panel (upper left panel) but not exactly in the way Walter is asking for it. I agree with him that it wouldn't be that hard to map one button to each mode.

Many years ago with daVinci 2K (the version of DaVinci before Resolve), we had asked many times for custom macros and keyboard settings and was promised that it would happen. It has not happened yet, and it's been about 20 years. But we limp by with external macro keyboards and macro programs... to a point.

Dermot Shane

PostThu Jul 19, 2018 9:30 pm

Advanced panel II....

with streamdeck and midi twister level tech... seems funny that gamer / midi devices targeted at home users are so far ahead of Advanced, Mini and Micro targeted at professionals, and for a fraction of the expence...

Marc Wielage

PostFri Jul 20, 2018 3:49 am

OK, got the Streamdeck... now to figure out a place to put it.

Memo to self: we need a wider control desk.

Oyvind Stiauren

PostSat Jul 21, 2018 5:20 pm

I agree that copy/paste mapped to the Advanced Panels would be really great. As Resolve has evolved with so many great new features, many of the really useful ones has not been mapped to the Advanced Panels. Any many old features could have been mapped as well. Things I can remember right now are:

- Edit sizing and Node sizing is for some reason not available on the panels.This is one of the features I am missing the most.

- When pressing the shift-up/shift-down button, the panel is supposed to highlight all the buttons that can be used in combination with the shift buttons. There are several buttons that can be used that are not highlighted, for instance that “Disable current” button can be used with shift-down to disable the whole grade. There are other combinations, but this is the one that comes to mind right now.

- When in tracing mode, there are no option to switch between Windows, Stabilizer and VFX

- I personally uses memory banks a lot rather that stills, but I have not found any way to “Play” and go between different memories using the panels, pretty much in the same way you can with Stills.

- Whenever a Compound node is selected, it would be nice to have mapped “Show Compound node”, and then “Exit Compound” node whenever a compound node is being edited”.

- I don’t know if this is technically possible, but is would be really great with numerical feedback on the knobs, rather just a bar like it is today.

- H and Y FLIP (and other input sizing knobs on the control panel) does not work when in EDIT mode

- Adding keyframes to the tracker. Today there is only a button for removing a keyframe, but not for adding.

- Pressing the button to change between input and output sizing does not change between the Input and Output sizing panes on the GUI.
--
Oyvind Stiauren, C.S.I.
Senior Colorist
Terminal, Mexico City
www.terminalmx.com
www.imdb.com/name/nm1008209/

waltervolpatto

PostSat Jul 21, 2018 9:45 pm

Marc Wielage wrote:OK, got the Streamdeck... now to figure out a place to put it.

Memo to self: we need a wider control desk.

30K panel and still you need another panel to integrate....
W10-19043.1645- Supermicro MB C9X299-PGF - RAM 128GB CPU i9-10980XE 16c 4.3GHz (Oc) Water cooled

Marc Wielage

PostMon Jul 23, 2018 3:26 am

waltervolpatto wrote:30K panel and still you need another panel to integrate....

It's only money! :D

John Tissavary

PostThu Jul 26, 2018 1:38 am

I have a radical idea: how about BMD finally make panels user configurable like every other color correction system on the market?

I have asked for this since v4 when I started using Resolve so I don't expect it to happen, but I'd sure love to be surprised.

This is actually WAAAAY more important to me, as a colorist, than editing, audio mixing, or compositing. Don't get me wrong, I love the added functionality in Resolve, but I think user panel remapping should be a core function, as right now the devices that are supposed to make us work better as colorists are not actually doing that NEARLY as efficiently as possible, and the very idea that there is a one-size-fits-all approach to panels is misguided when there are as many working styles as there are colorists.
John Tissavary
colorist
the post collective

waltervolpatto

PostThu Jul 26, 2018 2:52 pm

+1 on fully programmable panels with oled buttons.

Mitch Jacobson

PostThu Jul 26, 2018 3:14 pm

This seems pretty cool...not sure it works with davinci but could be good for laptop remote sessions: https://palettegear.com/

Return to DaVinci Resolve