Quick Audio Fade Between Clips

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Edrick Smith

Quick Audio Fade Between Clips

PostThu Jul 19, 2018 2:05 am

When editing a timeline and say that it's a clip that was a 30 minute recording, but I'm cutting out dead space between the good footage. Do you guys have any recommendations for the audio as in should I do a quick cross dissolve between the cuts for the audio like a frame in and a frame out to "blend" the clips so there's not a pop or noticeable change in the background noise as it cuts.

Back when I was learning editing they taught us in Pro Tools to do a quick frame cross dissolve on the audio clips.

What do you guys do?
C47Studios.com | Los Angeles, California

Charles Bennett

Re: Quick Audio Fade Between Clips

PostFri Jul 20, 2018 5:03 pm

It depends on the cut. If there is a pop, yes use a fade. Going from one background to another I would use a cross-fade, either separate overlapping tracks (the preferred way) or on a single track. Length of the cross-fade will depend on the source material and what it sounds like.
Resolve Studio 19.0b build 20
Dell XPS 8700 i7-4790, 24GB RAM, 2 x Evo 860 SSDs, GTX1060/6GB (551.86 Studio Driver), Win10 Home (22H2), Speed Editor, Faderport mk1, Eizo ColorEdge CS230 + BenQ GW2270 + Samsung SA200, Canon C100mk2, Zoom H2n.

Return to DaVinci Resolve