Can you limit the area the stabiliser analyses?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

RufusBlackwell

Can you limit the area the stabiliser analyses?

PostThu Jul 19, 2018 9:30 am

Is there any way to specify the area of the image the stabiliser uses for reference.

I love the new stabiliser in Resolve (from v14). I only recently started using it, but for me it has replaced AE warp stabiliser.

However on some of my shots I have areas of the frame I would like the tracker to ignore. Is there any way to limit the area the stabiliser analyses?

It seems the stabiliser assesses the image before the fusion of colour page effects so no masking options have any effect. Any help much appreciated.

Cheers

R
DroneFX.tv

Lance Braud

Re: Can you limit the area the stabiliser analyses?

PostThu Jul 19, 2018 2:07 pm

Yes. The chapter on tracking in the manual will show a couple of ways to do it.
Resolve Studio v16.2.3 | Nvidia GTX 1070 | v451.48 | Win10 x64 | AMD TR-1950X 16G RAM

RufusBlackwell

PostThu Jul 19, 2018 2:29 pm

Lance Braud wrote:Yes. The chapter on tracking in the manual will show a couple of ways to do it.

Hi Lance.

I would be happy to be proved wrong, but both the Resolve 14 manual and the Resolve 15 whats new have no mention of any way to specify the area to analyse for the stabiliser. They do for the tracker, but thats a different process.
If you know different please let me know.
Thanks
Rufus
DroneFX.tv

John Paines

PostThu Jul 19, 2018 3:03 pm

With the "Classic" stabilizer, available in the drop-down menu, you can use the Point Tracker to select areas for stabilization. p. 1065 and on. And the interactive mode will give you control over what areas of the "cluster" are used for stabilization, and what points are excluded.

If that fails, the Fusion tracker allows (and requires) manual selection of tracking areas, rectangles which you can move and resize as needed.

RufusBlackwell

PostThu Jul 19, 2018 3:32 pm

Hi John

Yeah previously I used the classic stabiliser, but the new one is so much better, I am looking for a way to use that, even for shots that need isolation.

Regarding the fusion tracker, that is true you can isolate areas to track, but that is not the same as the stabiliser. Also the stabilisation process takes place prior to the clip feeding in to fusion.
Like I said I hope I can be proved wrong, but that is my understanding of the process pipeline.

Thanks

R
DroneFX.tv

John Paines

PostThu Jul 19, 2018 4:01 pm

Are you sure about the Fusion stabilizer? I'm a fumbler at best with Fusion, but did stabilize a shot using the trackers. Or at least I thought I did.

Mark Sterne

PostThu Jul 19, 2018 6:00 pm

You can stabilize using the tracker in standalone Fusion. I haven’t tested in the Fusion page of Resolve 15 but it should be there.

You can stabilize, render the stabilized clip and bring that back into Resolve for post-stabilization processing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RufusBlackwell

PostSun Aug 05, 2018 4:46 am

For anyone interested, this is the solution.

create a copy of your clip in the timeline
In fusion soft edge mask the area you want it to track, leave the area outside the mask a flat neutral colour.
Go back to the timeline make the clip a compound clip
Stabilise the compound clip
Copy the tracking data to the unmasked clip
Done
DroneFX.tv

Return to DaVinci Resolve