questions around file size (noob)

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

herber.marc@gmail.com

questions around file size (noob)

PostThu Jul 19, 2018 8:02 pm

Hi all,

just got familiar with DaVinci Resolve 14.3.0.014. It's the first time I work with some video editor. However I'm interested to create kind of an travel video (well it's more of an family video compilation of our latest trip).

After watching some tutorials on YouTube I have created my first timeline draft with a first set of videos and added effects for transation and other stuff.

But before putting all the relevant effort in creating an amazing (*haha*) video compilation I tried to export my first draft and realised that the file size is around 100 MB (by a length of just 33 seconds and no additional background music I want to add on top) :o
Obviously there are some settings I can choose of on the deliver tab but I'm totally lost what is really required, respectively what's important to focus on.

Is there any kind of information somebody can provide, respectively a link where I find some details?

Thanks in advance.

Igor Riđanović

Re: questions around file size (noob)

PostThu Jul 19, 2018 8:19 pm

You can make the file size as small as you wish, but that will decrease the quality of picture and possibly sound.

Work backwards from your delivery requirements. What kind of codec and audio encoding do you need to deliver. Then set those parameters in the Delivery page. The page also comes with presets for YouTube and Vimeo which may help.
www.metafide.com - DaVinci Resolve™ Apps

ejpontius

PostThu Jul 19, 2018 8:24 pm

I'd start with reading through a few chapters such as Chapter 9 in the manual.
https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/manual ... Manual.pdf

For the most part Resolve users typically export very high quality, low compression files (ie Avid DNxHD/DNxHR, Prores) which by nature will be very large. This is to ensure that they have the best quality file in which to hand off to a client and/or encode to other lower quality, more compressed and therefore smaller files in order to distribute them for other purposes. They will typically be doing these encodings with software that is purpose built for video encoding and compression (ie Adobe Media Encoder, FFMPEG, etc...)

Dave Shortman

PostFri Jul 20, 2018 7:56 am

If you are looking for a smaller file size, look on the deliver page at the YouTube presets, you can create a QuickTime movie with either MPEG4 or H.264 for a much smaller filesize.

As previous posters have pointed out though, the smaller the file, the worse the quality, which in the case of a vlog might not be that much of an issue.

Time to invest in a terabyte external harddrive for archiving purposes, they are not that expensive :)

herber.marc@gmail.com

PostSat Jul 21, 2018 1:46 pm

Thanks for your feedback. It's for private purpose only. There is nobody other then my/familiy/friends watching this video. So I would say as long as you don't see any obvious deterioration it's fully meeting the expectations. :D

I'm just running a delivery job with the youtube presettings. Let's see what the outcome will look like.

Return to DaVinci Resolve