question around frame rate and different input sources

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

herber.marc@gmail.com

question around frame rate and different input sources

PostThu Jul 19, 2018 8:09 pm

Hi,

yet another noob question - bear with me ;)

I didn't get the concept of "frame rate" yet. In detail I do have a set of videos made with different devices. Starting with mobile devices, GoPro, drones, etc...

By watching/filtering all the videos I have already noticed that the resolution does differ . However in the final output I don't want to deal with black borders because some of the videos are smaller (is it called "smaller"?) than others.

Can somebody please advice how to deal with this issue and which settings with reagard to the frame rate would be approreate?

Thanks in advance!

Uli Plank

Re: question around frame rate and different input sources

PostFri Jul 20, 2018 4:16 am

Two different issues:

Frame rate is the number of single frames the device is recording per second. Some devices have a fixed one, some have a switchable one and some phones even have an unstable one (very bad in Resolve).

In Resolve you have to decide, normally from the most used or most important device, which frame rate to use for your timeline before you start editing. Other devices footage can be adapted, but at the cost of rendering time and image quality of fast motion.

Resolution is the number of horizontal and vertical pixels. If their ratio is the same for all your devices, you can just scale them to the size of the preferred device. If not, you'll need to scale and cut off the overhanging sides. Image quality will suffer again, but not too much. Try Superscale if you have the time.

And RTFM…
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

Return to DaVinci Resolve