Conform from HD Offline to 4K Online

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

David Altschuler

Conform from HD Offline to 4K Online

PostThu Jul 19, 2018 10:31 pm

Hello folks,

I am having issues with a scenario where we are receiving a turnover that was made from offline 1920x1080 (1.78) material, and we need to conform for a 4096x2160 (1.89) output. The offline is being done in an Avid session, and then the turnover is provided as a bin (.avb file). We then covert the offline timeline to an AAF (while committing multi-cams and such). I am aware that editing in one aspect ratio and assembling/conforming in another will cause conflicts in effects that have to do with spatial transforms and resizing. Is there a workaround where resize effects can be applied within a certain raster regardless of what the source resolution is? It's a farfetched goal, but I am hoping to have a solution for this soon.

Another side-note, is that we also will do conforms with 4096x2160 material but will create a 3840x2160 output. I have noticed that even when we change the input-sizing to scale to full-frame w/ crop, the resize values will still apply to the source resolution / aspect ratio. I will have a 3840x2160 timeline, but the x-axis will always be off compared to the offline ref. I appreciate any suggestions. Thanks in advance.

Best,
David

Return to DaVinci Resolve