Multicam Query

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Bryan MC

Multicam Query

PostFri Jul 20, 2018 3:00 pm

Hi There. I've been using Premiere Pro up until recently but heard good things about Resolve and decided to give the trial a spin. I'm having an issue with Multicam editing and wondered if someone would be kind enough to offer some help.

I'm trying to create a Multicam consisting of 2 Lavalier mics recorded on a Tascam DR70D (2 separate mono tracks) and 2 video tracks (with cam audio) I'm having difficulty because I seem to be restricted to hearing only one audio track at a time in Multicam mode. I want to be able to hear both Tascam audio tracks at the same time whilst editing the Multicam clip as I need to be able to hear both interviewer and interviewee at the same time to cut the footage together.

Could you point me in the right direction as to how to achieve this.

Thom Guida

Re: Multicam Query

PostSat Jul 21, 2018 1:17 pm

Let me state, I am far from a knowing much about DRS. That said I work almost entirely in MultiCam. My experiences may not be even close to a best practice, a good workaround, etc. However, my $.02

I don't feel like chopping up any of my projects right now, but let's go with this:

Forget Multicam- Use a new timeline, sync your tracks (make sure your a/v of the specific cams are linked) as you go down the timeline when cutting make the track of a/v are selected cut and remove same making sure you don't ripple. When you are down the timeline it will look like a checkerboard. Before you go to coloring do a fast Render and see if the end product IS what you had in mind.

I used that technique (which might be pretty common) in VSDC and actually made some pretty good 2 Cam Presentation Projects. Is it Multicam, no, but I'm far from knowing much about this calling or profession. Sometimes what you think is a better solution (Multicam) may not work for a particular application.

Good luck-
RSD v.18.04, BMD KB & Micro Panel
Win10 Pro V21H1 OS build 19043.1889
Nv GTX 3090 dV516.94
Ryzen 3900x@3.8; 64GB
IntelNicI211 12.15.180.0/Aquantia 10TbNic
C:\Sam980 Pro NvMe 2TB on ASRock x570 Taichi MB v3.0; QNAP Cache 2TB NVMe Raid6 42TB.

Richard Danek

PostThu Aug 23, 2018 7:37 pm

Multicam is frustrating because it doesn't seem to follow what's in the manual. It's either that or I'm not reading things correctly. Here's how I manage to get things to work. First, though, the manual says...

1. Create multicam clips
2. Put clips into a timeline
3. Turn on Multicam Viewer

No exactly. When I do these things, I can see the different angles but I can't do anything with them. What I discovered is that, instead of "put the multicam clips you've created into a timeline" I have to put the clips into a NEW timeline. If I do that, then all is well...

...except for figuring out what damn audio track gets used. (I read somewhere that it's the first track, but it seems not to matter because, if I move track around, I still cant predict which track gets used.

What to do?

Simple, I ignore the audio track in the NEW multicam timeline. I simply copy from the clip timeline into the new timeline. I imagine you could just as easily copy two audio tracks and paste them.

I wish someone could better explain this. I can't tell if it's a bug or if it's something that's so obvious that I'm not seeing it. This has been driving me crazy since I discovered version 12.5.
RC Danek - System Configuration Information
-----
Intel e5-1620 CPU 3.6 Ghz
16 GB memory
Windows 10 Pro 64 bit, x64 processor
HP Z420 Workstation
465 GB SSD
NVIDIA Aeorus 1080ti 11GB GDDR5
1920x1080, 8-bit, RGB, Standard Dynamic Range

Peter Cave

PostFri Aug 24, 2018 3:24 am

I just used Multicam for the first time using the Resolve manual for reference.
Everything worked as per the instructions in the manual.

Audio track selection (and other options) is done by opening the multicam clip in a timeline. Right click > Open in Timeline. You can disable unused tracks here. By default, all enabled tracks are played. You can switch Video, Audio or both using the selector at the bottom of the source viewer.

The manual walks you through the process.
Resolve 18.6.6 Mac OSX 14.4.1 Sonoma
Mac Studio Max 32GB

Sam Steti

PostFri Aug 24, 2018 9:27 am

Hey there,

There are a lot of multicam topics in the forum, I know it because I wrote very often in them for I'm into multicams too. I've described anything you must know and any workaround to mosty of the common issues you may have...
So forgive me if I don't have the guts to write them here again (because some are long and detailed), but feel free to search with "multicam" as a key word...

Quickly, remember not to rely on the multicam file for audio : make your ISO with not too much audio files inside and add audio files on new tracks you make on the TL, you'll be happier in most cases.
*MacMini M1 16 Go - Ext nvme SSDs on TB3 - 14 To HD in 2 x 4 disks USB3 towers
*Legacy MacPro 8core Xeons, 32 Go ram, 2 x gtx 980 ti, 3SSDs including RAID
*Resolve Studio everywhere, Fusion Studio too
*https://www.buymeacoffee.com/videorhin

Return to DaVinci Resolve