Copy FXs with keyframes from one clip to another?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

IvanTheEditor

Copy FXs with keyframes from one clip to another?

PostSat Jul 21, 2018 12:34 am

I'm sure this is probably super easy to do but I can't figure it out. I have a clip which has a few different keyframes on it - opacity goes down, it gets blurry (using gaussian blur as an openFX), it zooms in, etc. Now I want to copy all those parameters/effects to a bunch of other clips in the exact same way that they are in the first clip. How can I do that?

DMorrell

Re: Copy FXs with keyframes from one clip to another?

PostWed Sep 12, 2018 7:24 pm

Bump. lol

IvanTheEditor

PostWed Sep 12, 2018 9:29 pm

haha. very funny. but this is the very reason why i gave up on resolve and went back to premiere. i'm sorry to say this but resolve ain't ready for the pro's just yet when it comes to editing.

Antoine Grasset

PostWed Sep 12, 2018 11:02 pm

It is indeed easy.
Please refer to the excellent Resolve 15 manual, page 2056 and 2078.
The keywords you are looking for are "Apply Grades Using".

In short : a right-click in the "Gallery" panel will let you enable pasting of keyframes along with your grade.

DMorrell

PostFri Sep 14, 2018 8:18 pm

IvanTheEditor wrote:haha. very funny. but this is the very reason why i gave up on resolve and went back to premiere. i'm sorry to say this but resolve ain't ready for the pro's just yet when it comes to editing.

I'm sorry, Ivan, I absolutely was not laughing at you... I was laughing at myself not being able to figure out something that seems that it should be so simple.

Antoine, I was wondering if copying FX from clip-to-clip can be done in the Edit workspace.

Thanks, guys!

Antoine Grasset

PostFri Sep 14, 2018 10:06 pm

Rusty Cadillac wrote:Antoine, I was wondering if copying FX from clip-to-clip can be done in the Edit workspace.

Well OpenFX belong to the Color page, so what you want to do isn’t possible right now.
Except... if you do everything in the Color page : OpenFX, opacity, position, zoom, they can all be tweaked, key framed and copy/pasted in the Color page.

Nathan Morgan

PostFri Sep 14, 2018 10:13 pm

Antoine Grasset wrote:Well OpenFX belong to the Color page, so what you want to do isn’t possible right now.
Except... if you do everything in the Color page : OpenFX, opacity, position, zoom, they can all be tweaked, key framed and copy/pasted in the Color page.

In the new versions it is possible to use Open FX in the edit page and you can copy and paste open effects with the paste attributes command. I don't think keyframes will copy at this time though.

Just know that FX in the edit page are different and are process separately then FX in the color page.
PC: Resolve 18.0.1, WINDOWS 10, GTX 3090
Desktop Video 12.0
(All bug reports etc. are PC unless specified.)
Mac: Mac Studio M1 Ultra, Resolve 18.0.1, 12.4

DMorrell

PostSat Sep 15, 2018 3:23 pm

Nathan Morgan wrote:
Antoine Grasset wrote:Well OpenFX belong to the Color page, so what you want to do isn’t possible right now.

In the new versions it is possible to use Open FX in the edit page and you can copy and paste open effects with the paste attributes command. I don't think keyframes will copy at this time though.

Just know that FX in the edit page are different and are process separately then FX in the color page.

Thank you, Nathan! Very helpful.

Interesting, your last sentence.

Best!

Return to DaVinci Resolve