What's the best way to apply effects at source resolution?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Mark Grgurev

What's the best way to apply effects at source resolution?

PostTue Aug 07, 2018 4:38 pm

Sorry for the strange wording but I couldn't figure out a shorter way to word it.

Okay, so right now I have some 1080p footage that needs denoising that's in a UHD timeline alongside UHD footage. I'm using NeatVideo to denoise it with a saved noise profile for that camera but it doesn't work because Resolve is scaling the footage to UHD before sending it to Neat Video and needs to be the source's resolution.

Right now the work around I'm using is one node before the Neat Video node that uses node sizing to decrease it's resolution to 1080p (though with large black borders) then another node afterwards that resizes it back to the timeline resolution.

What I want to know is if there's a quicker way of doing this. I only really need it to be 1080p for that Neat Video node, though I'd ideally have all the corrections on that footage happen at 1080p before resizing to the timeline's resolution. I tried first shrinking the footage with Input Sizing because it seems like it would do exactly what I wanted but that still requires using Node Resizing to get it back to timeline resolution and causes the thumbnails in the clips viewer to look cropped.

Andrew Kolakowski

Re: What's the best way to apply effects at source resolutio

PostTue Aug 07, 2018 4:59 pm

What about denoising HD with project set to HD and then swapping it back to UHD?

Mark Grgurev

PostTue Aug 07, 2018 5:37 pm

Nope. Doesn't do anything because the input sizing is set to scale to fit the timeline resolution. It's tricky. If output sizing happened per-clip (which according to my settings, looks possible but doesn't appear to be working) and wasn't applied to the whole timeline then I could just shut off the input scaling and it would work in most scenarios but it would also mean that all effects would be applied to the clip at it's source resolution including effects you'd want to apply at timeline resolution.

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Aug 08, 2018 1:12 am

Denoise the HD clips and render to dpx, bring those back into the new UHD timeline.
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

Andrew Kolakowski

PostWed Aug 08, 2018 9:24 am

Can be time consuming if you start changing your mind about strength of noise reduction.

Jim Simon

PostWed Aug 08, 2018 12:48 pm

This is one way in which moving the Timeline Format from the Master Settings to individual timelines would come in handy.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Mark Grgurev

PostMon Aug 13, 2018 1:12 pm

Peter Chamberlain wrote:Denoise the HD clips and render to dpx, bring those back into the new UHD timeline.

Thanks, that's a little more involved than I'd like it to be. Hopefully, this gets addressed in Resolve 16 because it seems like even the method you've suggested would still have all the color grading being processed at UHD which seems wasteful.

Marc Wielage

PostMon Aug 13, 2018 1:21 pm

Mark Grgurev wrote:Thanks, that's a little more involved than I'd like it to be. Hopefully, this gets addressed in Resolve 16 because it seems like even the method you've suggested would still have all the color grading being processed at UHD which seems wasteful.

If you're using Neat Video, how about waiting until the very end of the project and applying Neat then?
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Mark Grgurev

PostMon Aug 13, 2018 9:46 pm

Marc Wielage wrote:If you're using Neat Video, how about waiting until the very end of the project and applying Neat then?

I find it difficult to color grade when too much chroma noise is present. It's especially a problem when trying to match footage between two cameras. You'll think you added too much red or something and it turns out that you were bringing out the red in the chroma noise more than you thought.

Return to DaVinci Resolve