Can’t fit fusion composition in Resolve

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Joshua Morin

Can’t fit fusion composition in Resolve

PostMon Aug 13, 2018 4:53 pm

I have a resolve timeline at cinescope ratio and when I try to use a fusion composition it comes back and doesn’t fill the screen. If I try to zoom it only zooms inside of the fusion composition and never fills the black parts. I am not sure if I am explaining this well, but it seems like I need a transform after the fusion composition. Can someone help please???
Resolve 18.6.6 Build 7
Apple M1 Max, 32.0 GB
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070M, 8Gb
MacOs Monterey

Jim Simon

Re: Can’t fit fusion composition in Resolve

PostMon Aug 13, 2018 5:07 pm

I found a similar issue recently. It seems there's a bug with the Fusion page not respecting the Project Settings:Input Scaling.

I was able to get things the way I wanted by setting the Scaling option for the clip in the Inspector window to Fill, rather than the default Project Settings.

See if that helps.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Joshua Morin

PostMon Aug 13, 2018 5:09 pm

Thanks... that unfortunately didn’t work but embedding the fusion clip in a composition and then scaling worked.
Resolve 18.6.6 Build 7
Apple M1 Max, 32.0 GB
MacOs Monterey

Marek Klucar

PostMon Sep 10, 2018 5:19 pm

This bug makes Fusion page completely unusable in Resolve :(

When working with the precomp directly changing zoom values in transform keeps black edges and changing scaling options doesn't do anything.

When I tried the precomp workaround Resolve immediatley crashes when changing zoom values in transform.

Source footage 4096x2160, project resolution 4096x1744.

Resolve Studio 15.0.1.003

dylanball

PostFri Sep 28, 2018 10:27 pm

I too am having issues with the way fusion deals with image scaling.

I am working with media that is 3424x2202 that I am scaling full frame with crop into 2048x858. As long as I create a fusion connect clip, my timeline aspect ratio is respected. But that forces me to work at 2K instead of the original resolution. If I just open the clip in the fusion tab and work on it, when I go to the edit or color tabs, the clip is pillar boxed. It is the full image fit into 2K scope, but I am worried that it is scaling the image down and then when I zoom back into the image to fill the screen that there is some quality loss.

I've tried changing the scaling in the inspector in the edit tab, but it doesn't change anything.

I am working on a macOS Sierra 10.12.6 and Resolve 15.1.1.005.

Joshua Morin

PostThu Oct 18, 2018 12:37 pm

Check out this video in the last minute or two. He explains how to overcome the issue by starting the clip in Fusion then add a transform.

Resolve 18.6.6 Build 7
Apple M1 Max, 32.0 GB
MacOs Monterey

Marek Klucar

PostThu Oct 18, 2018 12:52 pm

Joshua Morin wrote:Check out this video in the last minute or two. He explains how to overcome the issue by starting the clip in Fusion then add a transform.

This does not solve the issue. In his instance the other clip is same resolution / aspect ration as his timeline. None of my clips are the same resolution as the timeline therefore I always get balck bars and the output can't be scaled.

I guess one option would be to create fusion comp based on dummy clip that has timeline resolution, and then manually imort clips that need to be in the final comp. (which would be painful - setting in and out point ever thime) But the problem is that let's say I have 4:3 high res clips I want to comp together into high res 4:3 fusion comp, and then use the high res output in the edit page to dynamically reframe it on 1080 timeline ... I would not be able to do that.

Joshua Morin

PostThu Oct 18, 2018 12:56 pm

At the end he shows a clip that doesn't have the same resolution as the timeline. He creates a fusion clip and then adds the clip to the fusion clip. Then he does his work and then adds a transform at the end. That solves the issue for me.
Resolve 18.6.6 Build 7
Apple M1 Max, 32.0 GB
MacOs Monterey

Return to DaVinci Resolve