Huge file size for render

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

SneakingMilk

Huge file size for render

PostMon Aug 13, 2018 6:29 pm

I just finished a project using some 2.7K 60fps footage from my Gopro which I then rendered at 1080p 60fps using H264. The final video is only 7 minutes long but has a file size of over 4GB! Is there a way I can reduce this whilst maintaining quality so that the video is suitable for sharing on google drive?

Jim Simon

Re: Huge file size for render

PostMon Aug 13, 2018 8:13 pm

File Size = Bitrate x Duration.

To get a smaller file, you need a lower bitrate, a shorter program, or both.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Cary Knoop

PostTue Aug 14, 2018 12:09 am

SneakingMilk wrote:I just finished a project using some 2.7K 60fps footage from my Gopro which I then rendered at 1080p 60fps using H264. The final video is only 7 minutes long but has a file size of over 4GB! Is there a way I can reduce this whilst maintaining quality so that the video is suitable for sharing on google drive?

You could render an intermediate file from Resolve (ProRes , Cineform, DNxHx etc) and re-encode it using H.265 technology which compresses better than H.264 technology while keeping the same quality.

The required level of quality often depends on whether the video is going to be shared for editing or if it is for viewing only.

By the way, 4GB for a 7-minute 2.7K video is rather large if it is destined for viewing only, you might want to experiment with a lower bitrate.

RCModelReviews

PostTue Aug 14, 2018 1:46 am

As others have said... if you want a smaller final render size you need to constrain the bitrate.

DR defaults to best quality so it will use whatever bitrate it needs to achieve this and typically, that's far more than is required to get a "satisfactory" quality (ie: for YouTube or whatever).

I use 8000bps for most of my 1080p/60 videos although I sometimes go as high as 15000bps if there's a lot of action/movement.

If you want to get a small file and good quality then H264 isn't the best codec to use. H265/HVEC will give a *much* better result for the same bitrate and when I'm transcoding (usually with Handbrake) I find that 8000bps is enough for even high-motion video at 1080p/60 with H265.
Resolve 18.1 Studio, Fusion 9 Studio
CPU: i7 8700, OS: Windows 10 32GB RAM, GPU: RTX3060
I'm refugee from Sony Vegas slicing video for my YouTube channels.

Return to DaVinci Resolve