DaVinci Resolve does not detect AMD Radeon graphics card

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

enrico.m

DaVinci Resolve does not detect AMD Radeon graphics card

PostMon Aug 13, 2018 7:26 pm

Hi all,

TL,DR: Whenever I lunch Resolve.exe, the process keeps running but nothing shows up - here's the link to the log and sys_info files: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

More details follow.

I am not able to lunch DaVinci Resolve since I've update my AMD Radeon R9 M200x drivers (currently installed version: 24.20.13001.1010): whenever I lunch Resolve.exe, the process keeps running but nothing shows up (and I need to terminate the process myself else it'd go on running).

I experience the same behaviour with different DaVinci Resolve versions: 14.2 (currently installed), 14.3.1, 15.0.2 (if I remember correctly).

A naive look at the log suggests that DaVinci does not detect the AMD Radeon R9 M200x, rather the Intel HD Graphics 4600 (second last crash in the log). This is apparently confirmed by the fact that, if I disable the Intel card, DaVinci does run. Looking at the log it has no clue on what graphics card it's running though (latest crash in the log).

I'm using a Toshiba SATELLITE P50-B-115, Windows 10, 12 GB RAM, Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4710HQ CPU @ 2.50GHz, 2501 Mhz, 4 cores.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Uli Plank

Re: DaVinci Resolve does not detect AMD Radeon graphics card

PostTue Aug 14, 2018 4:37 am

That GPU is massively underpowered for Resolve, please check the configuration guide.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

enrico.m

PostTue Aug 14, 2018 7:57 am

Uli Plank wrote:That GPU is massively underpowered for Resolve, please check the configuration guide.

Thanks for your reply.

Why do you say massively? Also I aim at using DaVinci Resolve 14, not 15.

In DaVinci Resolve 14 configuration guide I found this (pag. 37):
"For processing UHD or 4K-DCI images we recommend 8GB or more of GPU memory (RAM). For some operations 4GB will be sufficient. 2GB is not recommended."

I didn't have any problem with version 14 before the drivers update, nor I need to process images at larger resolution than 1080p at the moment.

The GPU being underpowered also does not the explain why DaVinci does not detect the graphics card, while the Intel one is detected.

enrico.m

PostThu Aug 16, 2018 7:28 am

Can anyone provide further help, please?

Uli Plank

PostFri Aug 17, 2018 4:00 am

Disabling the Intel graphics in the OS is your only choice then, it wouldn't help Resolve anyway.
If it's running at all, it must be the Radeon.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

teasley

PostMon Jan 21, 2019 7:09 pm

I had this same problem with 15 and discovered that Radeon isn't compatible with it. I would have to buy a new graphics card (which I'm not going to do) like NVIDIA in order to make it work. I'm sick of spending money on computer components, so I've decided to just use a different editing software :(

Uli Plank

PostTue Jan 22, 2019 1:37 am

Must be a Windows thing then, recently there were a lot of people having problems with drivers if they also had Intel graphics. My Radeon is running perfectly fine on a Mac, and even a laptop with Intel graphics is doing fine with an external AMD GPU.
If I say massively underpowered, it's not only about VRAM, but processing power too. Resolve is a demanding software, even if it is very capable in the free version, the hardware needed is far from free…

Dabs23

PostWed Feb 26, 2020 10:38 pm

teasley wrote:I had this same problem with 15 and discovered that Radeon isn't compatible with it. I would have to buy a new graphics card (which I'm not going to do) like NVIDIA in order to make it work. I'm sick of spending money on computer components, so I've decided to just use a different editing software :(

What software did you end up going to? I'm having this same issue.

Return to DaVinci Resolve