Render Cache Files Showing Media Offline

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

ElliotMSmith

Render Cache Files Showing Media Offline

PostTue Aug 14, 2018 2:15 am

Hi all,

I'm on a client's machine and it's had some problems with Render Cache. It's an iMac Pro that's maxed out, and on paper it's pretty great. What's occurring is that when using the Smart Render Cache function it's throwing up red Media Offline boxes, but what's really weird is it will do it on one frame and not the other, so I could be watching a clip and it'll strobe the clip and Media Offline back and forth, others are just Media Offline entirely until I turn the cache off. The external drives I've tried caching to are too slow to be worth dealing with, so I've been render caching to the internal drive, and plan to get a faster external drive if I can determine that's the culprit, but I just don't know. And everything's a rush around here so this is a big problem for me.

Specs:

Resolve Studio 14.3
iMac Pro
SSD - 3000 MBps read, roughly the same write per BM Disk Speed test
128GB RAM
14 cores
Radeon Vega Pro 64 with 16GB VRAM
I can't think of any other relevant specs right now, but it's a beast.

The footage is 1080p ProRes422HQ and then 2 tracks of ProRes4444 with alpha for graphics. I'm render caching in ProRes422HQ. I'd prefer to not have 3 tracks but here we are. Not using render cache slows the playback to a crawl once it gets to a section with 2 or 3 tracks, so caching is a must.

I've read several forum posts discussing this behavior but nothing with a solid answer. I know I'm doing something wrong but I don't know what. Anybody have a solution?
ElliotTheColorist.com

Rohit Singhal

Blackmagic Design

Re: Render Cache Files Showing Media Offline

PostTue Aug 14, 2018 2:52 am

Something is not right with the render cache directory permissions probably. Can you please replicate the issue and send us the logs?

Capture logs - viewtopic.php?f=21&t=48885
Rohit Singhal
DaVinci Resolve Software Development
Blackmagic Design

ElliotMSmith

PostTue Aug 14, 2018 6:53 pm

I was attempting to recreate the media offline error so it'd be fresh in the logs, but then the whole computer crashed hard while rendering the smart cache in the background, which is new behavior. I don't know how far back these logs go, but here's what I got after the crash.

It's too big to upload to the forum and giving me an error so here's a Dropbox link - https://www.dropbox.com/s/v7rx4bza7vryp ... 4.zip?dl=0
ElliotTheColorist.com

ElliotMSmith

PostTue Aug 14, 2018 7:21 pm

Machine back up and running, here's a log created when the Media Offline Render Cache is appearing

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jbmkdr9jfmjau ... 9.zip?dl=0

Again this is over 1MB so not able to upload this 1.6MB file through the website
ElliotTheColorist.com

Return to DaVinci Resolve