20 minute start up for Resolve Studio 15

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Danny Field

20 minute start up for Resolve Studio 15

PostTue Aug 14, 2018 4:14 am

The issue is still there. It sits on 'Searching for control panels' for 10 minutes, then continues loading. The splash screen then disappears, sits for another 10 minutes before loading the project window.

Here's the report file:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1KqdfG9 ... sp=sharing

And now, another bug is when I open up 'Preferences', it locks up when I click 'Cancel'.

I never had any issues / nor crashes with Resolve 14. Nothing has changed in the system. And yet, every Beta version has the slow start up. I've even disabled my firewall to see if it was the issue.

Hopefully someone has an idea on what's going on, otherwise [Luckily] I still have a version of Resolve 14 that I'll install.

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

Re: 20 minute start up for Resolve Studio 15

PostTue Aug 14, 2018 7:28 am

Are you on W10?
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

Danny Field

PostTue Aug 14, 2018 12:09 pm

Yep Windows 10. GTX 970 GPU.

Never had an issue before with 14. It never faulted once on 14. And I've installed nothing new [haven't had the money to haha]. As soon as I installed the Beta 1, it had the long 'searching for control surfaces' bit.

I even did a fresh install of Resolve a couple of beta's ago. I kept trying the new beta to see if it would be fixed.

Rohit Gupta

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Aug 14, 2018 12:16 pm

Do you have any large databases with a lot of stills? There is a migration of Powergrade stills at startup but it should not take so Long.
Rohit Gupta

DaVinci Resolve Software Development
Blackmagic Design

Danny Field

PostTue Aug 14, 2018 11:27 pm

Nope. Originally I had all of my past projects there - but since Beta 6 or 7 I uninstalled all BM programs and started fresh. Now I only have 3 projects, and there weren't many stills there.

Again, 14 had many projects [and stills] and still loaded fine.

As mentioned before in other posts, the log states :

[0x00001950] | SyManager | ERROR | 2018-08-14 13:41:01,067 | socket failed to connect to server, error: 10061

Someone mentioned about the firewall blocking it, but I've checked and it's all free to access the internet. it's here that it's paused for 11 minutes.

So all in all, it's just very weird. A few others are having the same issue. Sometimes an update in beta fixes it. I've also tried CC Cleaner as someone else [in the beta thread] suggested, but didn't work either.

I might try 14 again [all of my projects are backed up anyway].

EDIT - To clarify - I actually don't use Powergrades, so only the original BM ones are there. I mostly do my color correction with the nodes, save a still, then use that. But with the new version, the database was clean as I did a fresh re-install.

Oh Oh Oh - I also tried Resolve Free Version [the lasts beta] just in case my dongle was causing issues or that the Studio version wasn't playing nice with my system.

Albert Hofmann

PostSat Aug 18, 2018 9:40 pm

Had the same problem of very slow startup, stuck on "Looking for control surface" (and also at various later stages like "loading media page" and "loading color page").

It turned out that it had nothing to do with the control surface at all. It's just that Resolve doesn't like working on week-ends and protests against these unfair working conditions!

Seriously, the problem did have to do with week-ends in my case. The slow startup was due to Resolve trying to lookup folders on remote machines which were turned off. And the timeout for network discovery seems to be very long (probably in Windows, not Resolve).

Check under Preferences / System / Media Storage if you have network folders defined, which are not accessible.

(The log files which Resolve writes turned out to be completely useless in this case. There is no mention in them of looking up storage folders)

Peter Benson

PostSun Aug 19, 2018 11:42 pm

#WowJustWOW Albert. What an excellent discovery -- most especially that very last, closing detail you served up, about Resolve's log reports not mentioning the status of Network Drive Folders' availability or more importantly -- the lack thereof.

Have you posted this valuable tidbit to @PeterChamberlain ?

ResolveStudio 14.3...014 | MiniMonitor | DTV 10.9.7 | Win8.1 x64 | ROG G751JL, 2.8GHz Intel i7HQ, 24GB DDR4, 1TB HD, 500GB EVO 850, 2GB GTX965M | Mackie MCU Pro | Softube Console 1 Mkii | Shuttle Pro 2 | more...
DTV 10.9.7 > Kingston SD5000T > MiniMonitor > Bravia | Samsung U28D590 | DRS 14.3.0.014 | Win8.1 x64 | ASUS G751JL, i7-4720HQ, 24GB | GTX965M | 1TB HDD, 500GB EVO 850 SSD | MCU Pro | Softube Console 1 Mkii | Shuttle Pro 2

Danny Field

PostMon Aug 20, 2018 1:52 am

Albert Hofmann wrote:Had the same problem of very slow startup, stuck on "Looking for control surface" (and also at various later stages like "loading media page" and "loading color page").

It turned out that it had nothing to do with the control surface at all. It's just that Resolve doesn't like working on week-ends and protests against these unfair working conditions!

Seriously, the problem did have to do with week-ends in my case. The slow startup was due to Resolve trying to lookup folders on remote machines which were turned off. And the timeout for network discovery seems to be very long (probably in Windows, not Resolve).

Check under Preferences / System / Media Storage if you have network folders defined, which are not accessible.

(The log files which Resolve writes turned out to be completely useless in this case. There is no mention in them of looking up storage folders)

Yeah, it seems that mine doesn't like to work on the weekends, or the week days.

Unfortunately it didn't fix anything. I don't have any network drives to begin with. I just use Resolve to grade my Production camera footage. There's nothing fancy about this machine. Single user, no network drives, a PC that ran Resolve without a single issue nor crash in the whole time that I've used it [the past 3 years].

In the preferences, I did change the drive to another drive in case Windows 10 didn't like me dumping to C, but it's all internal drives.

The log does show an incident, an error. In the log it shows the time at 13:41:01, then the next line it's ten minutes later.

When I get a chance I might boot into safe mode and see if that helps; but I'm at the stage where I'll just erase and install 14 again, where it was rock solid and stable.

Danny Field

PostMon Aug 20, 2018 4:21 am

UPDATE:

I uninstalled everything Blackmagic [Resolve, Fairlight, etc] based. Ran CCCleaner to clean everything.

Rebooted and installed Resolve Studio 14.3. Took 16 seconds to boot to the project window, compared to 20 minutes with 15.0

I had a look at the log and it still shows the Error 10061 relating to the 'socket failed to connect'. So I don't know. Guess I'll stay on Resolve 14.3 for a long while.

As a side note - for Resolve 14, I didn't install PostgreSQL 9.5.4-1, even though I had uninstalled it. Not sure if it is needed. Visual C++ 2013 and 2010 were still installed. I also installed the Panels even though I don't have any.

bdpjumbi

PostSat Aug 22, 2020 10:08 pm

I have been having this problem for a while. Well, I just built a new computer with a fresh install of Windows 10 and the issue still persists. I went from Intel Ivy Bridge to AMD B450. All my peripherals are the same. My delay isn't that long, maybe a minute. Long enough to start messing with something else as I waited.

After reading this forum (and many others), I chased down a lead I had already had in the back of my head. Long story short, my Corsair wireless headphones USB dongle being removed did the trick. Not happy about it, but it works. Hopes this helps someone else. Please fix this BM!

nilsfrid

PostWed Feb 17, 2021 10:10 am

Albert Hofmann wrote:Seriously, the problem did have to do with week-ends in my case. The slow startup was due to Resolve trying to lookup folders on remote machines which were turned off. And the timeout for network discovery seems to be very long (probably in Windows, not Resolve).

Thank you so much for this! I have been fighting 20 minute start times for almost two weeks.
Turns out it was all because of a mapped network drive that did not respond. It was not added to Media Storage in resolve, but just the fact that it existed in Windows was enough to cause this.

Igor Riđanović

PostWed Feb 17, 2021 4:00 pm

Offline SMB shares were also causing long startup times for me in Windows 10. Reported in this thread from November 2020: viewtopic.php?f=21&t=72366
www.metafide.com - DaVinci Resolve™ Apps

dariobigi

PostWed Feb 17, 2021 5:41 pm

As I recently learned from Mad Scientist @jdanna , the splash screen/readout of what resolve is activating/searching for on app startup is not accurate to what’s happening under the hood. It’s a misleading place for clues to problems.

HPz840 - 2x 14 Core 2.6GHz - 64GB RAM
Windows 10 Pro 2004
2x RTX 2080Ti (SD 460.89)
Resolve Studio 16.2.7
Decklink 4K Extreme (11.6)
FSI CM250
Panasonic FZ1000
Mini Panel
Dario Bigi, Colorist
http://dariobigi.com
New York
C: 1-646-436-4600