Retime, Optical flow shuts Resolve 15

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Yogendra Singh

Retime, Optical flow shuts Resolve 15

PostThu Aug 16, 2018 7:56 am

I am trying to speed ramp few clips and resolve 15 shuts down every 15mns. Is there a solution?
https://www.instagram.com/weddings_by_yogendra/

Resolve Studio 18.0.1
Fusion Studio 16.2.1

Rohit Gupta

Blackmagic Design

Re: Retime, Optical flow shuts Resolve 15

PostThu Aug 16, 2018 8:19 am

Do you have any logs? (Help menu..... Capture Diagnostic logs)

Can you please provide some details about your project setup, and hardware setup?
Rohit Gupta

DaVinci Resolve Software Development
Blackmagic Design

Yogendra Singh

PostThu Aug 16, 2018 10:45 am

core i5 2.8GHz
32 gb RAM
gtx 960 4gb
win 10 pro

Resolve Studio 18.0.1
Fusion Studio 16.2.1

Yogendra Singh

PostSun Aug 19, 2018 10:27 am

Any solution for the crashes?

Resolve Studio 18.0.1
Fusion Studio 16.2.1

Dermot Shane

PostSun Aug 19, 2018 4:30 pm

i do not see that issue here, retimming useing optical flow does not cause a crash, even rendering a 30 min long clip, BUT....

- i had started new test project, the source was on my local array ("s"), but the clip was also on the cleint's external USB3 drive ("e")
- i had used my typical workflow and had used the archive function to media manage the show to my local array, so the clip was inside s:archive/media/from e drive
- i took a Helium @ 8k source clip, on a DCi4k timeline, and ramped it up and down, slowed it to a stop, speed it up from a stop, ran it fast, ran it slow.. a total of 30 min of a 4k timeline, set it to render the timeline to DCi4k dpx, scaling at best, debayer at best, and let it go
- when i hit render Resolve started running the external drive @ 100%, and the local drive at 5%

weird as i had not indexed or linked or touched the external drive in this project so Resolve should be unaware of anyplace for the clip to exist other than the local array

semingly not related to optical flow crashes/no crashes tho?
Last edited by Dermot Shane on Sun Aug 19, 2018 5:28 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Jean Claude

PostSun Aug 19, 2018 4:47 pm

Dermot Shane wrote:i do not see that issue here, retimming useing optical flow does not cause a crash

as a test i took a Helium @ 8k source clip, on a DCi4k timeline, and ramped it up and down, slowed it to a stop, speed it up from a stop, ran it fast, ran it slow.. a total of 30 min of a 4k timeline, set it to render the timeline to DCi4k dpx, scaling at best, debayer at best, and let it go

ran for about 15 min, CPU @ 60%, GPU @ 15%, target disk @ 12%, source disk @ 100%, approx 5 Fps render speed

so i was disk bound, by the source footage disk on USB3, but no crashes in 15 min, no particular stress on the machine, all threads where running around the same

could you post a .drp with a single timeline containing single clip, use generator to create bars as the source, with a speed effect that causes your machine to crash? that should make it easy to replacate / validate the fault on other machines

what does taskmanager say if you leave it on top while rendering a opticalflow retime? is either CPU, ram or GPU running at 100%?

+1

Same here on a HD project (18 to 25 fps)

Retime Process : Optical Flow
Motion Estimation : Enhenced Better
Motion Range : Large

Play without cache : 15.5 to 16 fps fps... (OK HD project... :oops: )
but with Timeline node :
1 node TNR 3 + SNR Faster
1 node Radius
1 node 1 OFX Shadows and HighLight
1 node LGG
"Saying it is good, but doing it is better! "
Win10-1809 | Resolve Studio V16.1 | Fusion Studio V16.1 | Decklink 4K Extreme 6G | RTX 2080Ti 431.86 NSD driver! |

Dermot Shane

PostSun Aug 19, 2018 5:40 pm

ahhh, i deleted my orignal thoughts when i was adding one about the archive thinggie..

Jean Claude

PostSun Aug 19, 2018 5:49 pm

Dermot Shane wrote:ahhh, i deleted my orignal thoughts when i was adding one about the archive thinggie..

No worries Dermot: I understood.
:D
"Saying it is good, but doing it is better! "
Win10-1809 | Resolve Studio V16.1 | Fusion Studio V16.1 | Decklink 4K Extreme 6G | RTX 2080Ti 431.86 NSD driver! |

Yogendra Singh

PostMon Aug 20, 2018 4:59 am

Dermot Shane wrote:i do not see that issue here, retimming useing optical flow does not cause a crash, even rendering a 30 min long clip, BUT....

- i had started new test project, the source was on my local array ("s"), but the clip was also on the cleint's external USB3 drive ("e")
- i had used my typical workflow and had used the archive function to media manage the show to my local array, so the clip was inside s:archive/media/from e drive
- i took a Helium @ 8k source clip, on a DCi4k timeline, and ramped it up and down, slowed it to a stop, speed it up from a stop, ran it fast, ran it slow.. a total of 30 min of a 4k timeline, set it to render the timeline to DCi4k dpx, scaling at best, debayer at best, and let it go
- when i hit render Resolve started running the external drive @ 100%, and the local drive at 5%

weird as i had not indexed or linked or touched the external drive in this project so Resolve should be unaware of anyplace for the clip to exist other than the local array

semingly not related to optical flow crashes/no crashes tho?

My footage is on an internal HDD.A firecuda.
Jean Claude wrote:Same here on a HD project (18 to 25 fps)

Retime Process : Optical Flow
Motion Estimation : Enhenced Better
Motion Range : Large

mine are same settings.
Shot at 100fps 1080p converted in camera to 25fps
I am slowing further to 25%. Still getting buttery smooth slomo.

Crashing now is so severe that While playing back the slomo part Resolve crashes. No further effects or color grade applied.

Resolve Studio 18.0.1
Fusion Studio 16.2.1

Uli Plank

PostMon Aug 20, 2018 5:08 am

Your hardware should be able to handle it, so maybe a fresh installation of Resolve is needed.
Check for suggestions how to completely remove Resolve under Windows, I think I read about some difficulties.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

Return to DaVinci Resolve