Some basic Fairlight issues

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Bazzikaster

Some basic Fairlight issues

PostFri Aug 17, 2018 3:08 pm

Please, have a look at the video I recorded from the screen.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1lDiYLI ... sp=sharing

As a professional sound engineer I have found it really hard to work with on basic level.

1. When working in Layered audio editing, after creating the overlap no way to see quickly overlapped area. Some crosshair or other visualization is highly welcomed! Of course, I can switch on the layers and see what's going on, but that's not really convinient when you work fast and have a lot of files.
2. Layered audio editing doesn't allow you quickly change which audio is on top of the other. Again, you can do it when turning on Show audio track layers and do it there manually by dragging the clip up or down, but no key command (at least, I couldn't find it)
3. I could find the easy way to move the entire crossfade area (the same as transition)
4. And it has a bug in my understanding. If you crossfade the 2 clips with different levels it sharply changes the level at the end of crossfade area. For some reason you can't see that drop on the waveform of bounced clip, but you can clearly hear it.
5. Please, add the same way of automation editing as for the volume automation. Just adding points and change their position etc. Current way of drawing the line by pencil is IMO very unprecise and awkward. You have to use two different tools for the drwaing and editing. And you seems can't delete the automation point? Also, it creates lots of automation point which will unnessecery load CPU.

I am a Nuendo user since the v1 and all those stuff are way better implemented there. Would be nice to have the same level of flexibility in Resolve ar some point...

Thanks!
DaVinci Resolve Studio 18.6.2, MacOS 13.6, MacBook M1 Pro Max 16

Steven Reid

Re: Some basic Fairlight issues

PostFri Aug 17, 2018 3:58 pm

Bazzikaster wrote:5. Please, add the same way of automation editing as for the volume automation. Just adding points and change their position etc. Current way of drawing the line by pencil is IMO very unprecise and awkward. You have to use two different tools for the drwaing and editing. And you seems can't delete the automation point? Also, it creates lots of automation point which will unnessecery load CPU.

Not long ago I addressed your point 5 above, mainly frustrated that automation curves other than volume don't have the same elegant and precise control. The short answer is: "they don't." However, a modicum of control can certainly be achieved. (And automation points can be deleted, FYI.) Read the excellent replies to me in this thread: https://forum.blackmagicdesign.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=76717
DR Studio 17.1.1 Build 9 | Windows 10 Pro x64 (20H2) OS Build 19042.867 | AMD Radeon RX580 8GB | GPU Radeon Adrenaline 20.4.2 - Driver Version 20.20.29.01-200910a-359160C (manual updates) | Intel i7-5960X 3 GHz | 64GB RAM

Jean Claude

PostFri Aug 17, 2018 4:05 pm

Bazzikaster wrote:4. And it has a bug in my understanding. If you crossfade the 2 clips with different levels it sharply changes the level at the end of crossfade area. For some reason you can't see that drop on the waveform of bounced clip, but you can clearly hear it.

Hi,

Do a test :

Place an IN point and an OUT point in the crossfade area.

Place the playhead between the 2 points
you activate the loop
and press ALT + "/"

You will see the mixers at the corresponding volume
It is true that the cursors of the mixer have some latency. (only graphically)

Another solution is to fade in the EDIT tab. :)
Last edited by Jean Claude on Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Saying it is good, but doing it is better! "
Win10-1809 | Resolve Studio V16.1 | Fusion Studio V16.1 | Decklink 4K Extreme 6G | RTX 2080Ti 431.86 NSD driver! |

Bazzikaster

PostFri Aug 17, 2018 4:07 pm

Steven Reid wrote:
Bazzikaster wrote:5. Please, add the same way of automation editing as for the volume automation. Just adding points and change their position etc. Current way of drawing the line by pencil is IMO very unprecise and awkward. You have to use two different tools for the drwaing and editing. And you seems can't delete the automation point? Also, it creates lots of automation point which will unnessecery load CPU.

Not long ago I addressed your point 5 above, mainly frustrated that automation curves other than volume don't have the same elegant and precise control. The short answer is: "they don't." However, a modicum of control can certainly be achieved. (And automation points can be deleted, FYI.) Read the excellent replies to me in this thread: https://forum.blackmagicdesign.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=76717

Thanks for reply!

It helped.. A litle.. And now I see another weird thing: Try to delete points and press undo. It won't undo and after that you can't delete the automation anymore. Also, the way it deletes it is unusable, at least for me. Why doesn't it simply connects remaining points instead of creating the ramp? And adding point with that tool is useful only if you automate switch on/ off in my understanding :-)
Last edited by Bazzikaster on Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bazzikaster

PostFri Aug 17, 2018 4:10 pm

Jean Claude wrote:
Bazzikaster wrote:4. And it has a bug in my understanding. If you crossfade the 2 clips with different levels it sharply changes the level at the end of crossfade area. For some reason you can't see that drop on the waveform of bounced clip, but you can clearly hear it.

Hi,

Do a test :

Place an IN point and an OUT point in the crossfade area.

Place the playhead between the 2 points
you activate the loop
and press ALT + "/"

You will see the mixers at the corresponding volume
It is true that the cursors of the mixer have some latency. (only graphically)

Another solution is to fade in the EDIT tab. :)

Hi!

Maybe I I mixed up something but crossfade has nothing to do with a mixer and doing your test proves it :-) Faders stay intact

Steven Reid

PostFri Aug 17, 2018 4:17 pm

Bazzikaster wrote:And adding point with that tool is useful only if you automate switch on/ off in my understanding :-)

Yes, that is my understanding, too. In other words, as shown in the thread that I linked above, a pan can only suddenly jump from 80%L to 20%R, for example. Aside from hand-drawing an automation curve with the pencil tool, the only way I could achieve slow pans (or gradual changes to any FX other than volume), is to duplicate clips with starting and ending values of the desired FX, respectively, then cross-fade one clip into the other. I truly hope I'm missing something that is more elegant than my 'solution.'
DR Studio 17.1.1 Build 9 | Windows 10 Pro x64 (20H2) OS Build 19042.867 | AMD Radeon RX580 8GB | GPU Radeon Adrenaline 20.4.2 - Driver Version 20.20.29.01-200910a-359160C (manual updates) | Intel i7-5960X 3 GHz | 64GB RAM

Bazzikaster

PostFri Aug 17, 2018 4:22 pm

Steven Reid wrote:
Bazzikaster wrote:And adding point with that tool is useful only if you automate switch on/ off in my understanding :-)

Yes, that is my understanding, too. In other words, as shown in the thread that I linked above, a pan can only suddenly jump from 80%L to 20%R, for example. Aside from hand-drawing an automation curve with the pencil tool, the only way I could achieve slow pans (or gradual changes to any FX other than volume), is to duplicate clips with starting and ending values of the desired FX, respectively, then cross-fade one clip into the other. I truly hope I'm missing something that is more elegant than my 'solution.'

That's what I see too. Very clumsy for now...

Jean Claude

PostFri Aug 17, 2018 4:48 pm

Steven Reid wrote:

Yes, that is my understanding, too. In other words, as shown in the thread that I linked above, a pan can only suddenly jump from 80%L to 20%R, for example.

No, :oops:

One can easily do a PAN automation in Fairlight manually with the PAN screen.

And even change it with this screen or the pen. Certainly the best is to have a Fairlight console and the card that goes with it.
Win10-1809 | Resolve Studio V16.1 | Fusion Studio V16.1 | Decklink 4K Extreme 6G | RTX 2080Ti 431.86 NSD driver! |

Bazzikaster

PostFri Aug 17, 2018 4:56 pm

Jean Claude wrote:
Steven Reid wrote:

Yes, that is my understanding, too. In other words, as shown in the thread that I linked above, a pan can only suddenly jump from 80%L to 20%R, for example.

No, :oops:

And even change it with this screen or the pen. Certainly the best is to have a Fairlight console and the card that goes with it.

YOu mean writing automation while playing?

Jean Claude

PostFri Aug 17, 2018 4:59 pm

Bazzikaster wrote:
Jean Claude wrote:No, :oops:

Yes,

Yes I had posted a long time ago a post on that.
The best is to revise the manual. Otherwise I'll do it again tomorrow. :oops:

Bazzikaster

PostFri Aug 17, 2018 5:12 pm

Jean Claude wrote:
Bazzikaster wrote:
Jean Claude wrote:No, :oops:

Yes,

Yes I had posted a long time ago a post on that.
The best is to revise the manual. Otherwise I'll do it again tomorrow. :oops:

Writing automation on a fly is not precise in many cases. Way more convinient to draw it. They problem we discuss here about drawing and editing automation. I know I can write everything by dragging controls. :-)

Steven Reid

PostFri Aug 17, 2018 5:32 pm

Bazzikaster wrote:Writing automation on a fly is not precise in many cases. Way more convinient to draw it. They problem we discuss here about drawing and editing automation. I know I can write everything by dragging controls. :-)

Yes, this exactly is what I'm trying to get at, too. I just wrote a PAN automation curve in the way that Jean Claude indicated with my mouse (I don't have a FL console). No problem, excepting the inaccuracies from my hand/mouse combination. Moreover, even the manual states that "as of this writing," automation data can't be thereafter edited, copied, deleted, etc. I tried. The manual is correct (page 2461).

But this misses the point: I don't want to manually write automation curves as the playhead moves in real time, then edit or delete to clean up my shaky hand during the write operation, even if this were possible right now. The alternative, as shown in the link from my first post, is to insert automation points with the pencil and contend with sudden jumps, not smooth interpolations as we get with a volume curve.

Jean Claude, if I'm still not getting your point, would you kindly mind posting a how-to? (And thanks for your patience!)

Jean Claude

PostSat Aug 18, 2018 9:57 am

Hello,

I drew with the pen automation points pan and it jumps without intermediate interpolation.
I put my playhead to the left and then I redraw my pan curve

I hope that answers your question?

Maybe in the future we will have the possibility to have a bezier curve for that .. :)

pan_curve.gif

Bazzikaster

PostSat Aug 18, 2018 10:43 am

That's just not well though-out desing. I will show later how it works in Nuendo. Pro audio editors which the new fairlight page claimed to be work the similar way

Bazzikaster

PostSat Aug 18, 2018 3:23 pm

Please, have a look at the video. There are some examples of what I meant in the first message. About xfades, overlaps and automation https://drive.google.com/open?id=1U1Ukl ... EAZeBw__jJ

Jean Claude

PostSat Aug 18, 2018 4:29 pm

Nice features that should be hoped. :)

Daz Wood

PostSat Aug 18, 2018 4:39 pm

Very flexible, precise and very nice.
thanks for sharing.
Thank you

Daz
Davinci Resolve Studio Version
ASUS Strix GL702ZC 17" laptop. AMD Ryzen 7 1700 (Desktop CPU), 32GB DDR4, Storage 256GB M.2 SSD, 2TB SSD, 4GB RX 580, Win10

Bazzikaster

PostSat Aug 18, 2018 4:42 pm

You're welcome! Hope to see the same in Resolve

Steven Reid

PostSat Aug 18, 2018 5:59 pm

Bazzikaster wrote:Please, have a look at the video. There are some examples of what I meant in the first message. About xfades, overlaps and automation https://drive.google.com/open?id=1U1Ukl ... EAZeBw__jJ

Yes. This. Exactly. It is precisely how I work in my DAW, and I’m trying hard to make FL my new DAW. FL already can place automation points, as has been demonstrated several times in this thread. It seems not too far a leap to make those into Bézier curve control points for any FX envelope, just as we enjoy now with only volume.

Matt.perrott

PostSat Nov 14, 2020 10:31 am

Stumbling across these old threads as I look for a solution. This would be fantastic to see

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Matt Perrott - Mighty Sound

DR Studio 18.x
Mac Studio M1 Max 32GB Ram - Ultra Studio 4k Mini, MTRX Studio / Digiface DANTE
MBP 16 Inch M1 Max 32GB Ram

Return to DaVinci Resolve