R15 No Audio in Edit TL, works in Fairlight

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

steve oakley

R15 No Audio in Edit TL, works in Fairlight

PostFri Aug 17, 2018 4:59 pm

tascam 20X20 USB 3 interface with 2.0.x latest drivers, I even relented in setting it to 48K internal for this edit, system audio out, 10.13.6

Everything was working in Beta 8

In edit TL, no audio output. also note, none of the audio meters in the mixer panel show anything either

if I got to the Fairlight page, everything works fine. meters, sound output

color has no sound output

toggled sound from USB to internal, back to USB, restarted app

I don't have SDI monitor in the room right now to check if thats working. other apps have sound output

UPDATE 1 : after trying to do mix in fairlight page, I'm getting digital hash noise after a couple minutes. playing mix of 48K wav files from Logic against 48K original camera audio - MXF C300.

sorry but audio is totally messed up right now.

S
S
mac Studio Ultra 128gb OS 13.5+
TB3 ext 1TB SSD Cache, 1TB SSD Sys
4K 27Dell
Presonus Quantum 2626 TB3 Word clocked 96K
MiniPanel via enet
Behinger Xtouch USB via USB3 Hub->PCIe USB3X4 card
Wacom XL Pro

Chris Duncan

Re: R15 No Audio in Edit TL, works in Fairlight

PostFri Aug 17, 2018 6:03 pm

I also have no audio, with different results.

I have Studio and just upgraded from 14 to the release version of 15.0.0.086. No 15 betas were ever installed.

I use a Steinberg UR-44 audio interface that was working ten minutes ago in 14. After the 15 install and a couple of reboots for good measure, I have no audio. I'd seen another post about audio in 15 where he just jiggled his settings and eventually got his audio back, so I tried that.

I have a DeckLink MiniMonitor and thus two options on the preferences / audio page. I've tried DeckLink using system audio, then toggled back to the UR-44 settings, restarting Resolve each time. Audio still works on the computer (the UR-44 is the default sound device).

My results are slightly different than Steve's.

1. Edit page - no audio output. Meters move, but no sound is being sent to the audio device.
2. Fairlight - play button has no effect. Cursor does not move. Play button turns red until stop is pressed, then goes back to grey.
3. Media page - double clicking one of the wav files that was working in 14 causes the wave forms to scroll (as opposed to Fairlight, where nothing happens), but no audio is sent to audio device.

UPDATE:

I had initially installed 15 without first uninstalling 14. So, I uninstalled 15, rebooted, reinstalled 15, rebooted, and tested again. Same results.

I suppose I could just uninstall 15 and reinstall 14 until the new release is ready for prime time (it's obviously not at this point), but I was really looking forward to playing with the new release.

If anyone has suggestions on what I might be missing, I'd be most grateful.
Chris Duncan
ChristopherDuncan.com
Atlanta, GA

System specs:
Windows 10 64 bit, Xeon 3.2 ghz, 24 gb ram, 2 SSDs (boot & media), Nvidia GTX 980 Ti w/ 6 gb ram
Fusion version 8.1.1 Build 3
Resolve 17.4.2
HyperDeck Shuttle 2, Utility version 4.4

Daz Wood

PostFri Aug 17, 2018 9:49 pm

I guess you both have already tried these settings, changing system setting to manual and setting the device to your audio card and outputs:

DR audio settings.png
DR audio settings.png (47.62 KiB) Viewed 2303 times

I have a problem where if I use a VST plug-in (LM2) on the master fader's insert in Fairlight I also have no sound in the edit page, but I have not tried this yet in the full release of DaVinci Resolve 15 so it might be fixed now but its worth looking at to see if that is the problem.

lm2 no sound.png
lm2 no sound.png (22.02 KiB) Viewed 2303 times
Thank you

Daz
Davinci Resolve Studio Version
ASUS Strix GL702ZC 17" laptop. AMD Ryzen 7 1700 (Desktop CPU), 32GB DDR4, Storage 256GB M.2 SSD, 2TB SSD, 4GB RX 580, Win10

steve oakley

PostFri Aug 17, 2018 9:55 pm

I was all over those settings. everything was good in Beta8 so not sure what got messed up, but I hope a 15.0.1 update is out in the next few days fixing it. otherwise I may look for the beta8 installer and go backwards :(

S
S
4K 27Dell
MiniPanel via enet
Wacom XL Pro

Daz Wood

PostFri Aug 17, 2018 10:36 pm

One more thing to try is open up the control panel of your audio device and make sure the sample rate is set correctly.
Thank you

Daz
ASUS Strix GL702ZC 17" laptop. AMD Ryzen 7 1700 (Desktop CPU), 32GB DDR4, Storage 256GB M.2 SSD, 2TB SSD, 4GB RX 580, Win10

steve oakley

PostFri Aug 17, 2018 10:40 pm

the sample rate thing is something I have been bitterly complaining about - leave my hardware alone !

however I have gotten sound to work on project started in R15 beta.

the projects NOT working came from R14 :( there may be some setting thats been corrupted with old projects. specifically the project not working for me came from a 2 year old project that needed a few fixes. it was R14.0 release. I created a new DB, connected to the old DB, R updated it. FWIW I was mostly doing grades in it of new shots, a couple fusion paint fixes. so audio wasn't critical as I was running plex in the BG.

S
S
4K 27Dell
MiniPanel via enet
Wacom XL Pro

Chris Duncan

PostSat Aug 18, 2018 12:08 am

Daz Wood wrote:One more thing to try is open up the control panel of your audio device and make sure the sample rate is set correctly.

Thanks, Daz.

While I typically run Cubase projects at 48k to make it easy to go back and forth between audio and video, checking my control panel revealed that the UR-44 was set to 44.1k. Flipping it to 48k solved all problems.

I don't know how long it's been sitting at 44.1 as I typically do Cubase mixing in the studio control room. The workstation in the office where I do Resolve and other video things is a secondary audio room primarily for convenience, and it's been a while since I fired up Cubase in this environment.

That said, audio was playing in Resolve just fine in 14 ten minutes before I upgraded to 15. Either something about the 15 installation process reset my audio sample rate (not entirely out of the question) or 14 is more tolerant than 15 in this regard.

Given that the audio in this Resolve project was at 48, what I would have expected is the pitch shift you typically get when playing back audio at the wrong sample rate, not a complete flameout of audio altogether.

In any event, your insights are most appreciated as I'm now up and running again.
Chris Duncan
ChristopherDuncan.com
Atlanta, GA

System specs:
Windows 10 64 bit, Xeon 3.2 ghz, 24 gb ram, 2 SSDs (boot & media), Nvidia GTX 980 Ti w/ 6 gb ram
Resolve 17.4.2

Chris Duncan

PostSat Aug 18, 2018 12:22 am

steve oakley wrote:after trying to do mix in fairlight page, I'm getting digital hash noise after a couple minutes.

Steve,

I seriously doubt this is related to your problem but I thought I'd pass it along as one more debugging path to consider.

Last weekend I had a failure on an external eSATA drive bay on my studio control room computer (not the one I use for Resolve). It took a little while to figure out what was going on. During that time I was getting all sorts of stuttering and bad playback behavior from Cubase.

I mention this because none of the audio sources being played back resided on hard drives located on the schizo eSATA drive bay. However, because said bay was throwing a lot of controller errors in the event log, I'm assuming that had a negative impact on all hard drive operations on the computer. After replacing the bay with another unit audio went back to normal.

While I'm sure this doesn't have any direct relationship to your particular scenario, it did remind me of the fact that an unhappy subsystem in a computer can make other, seemingly unrelated areas, equally unhappy.

Are Logic or other audio related programs showing side effects after the install, or is it only Resolve?
Chris Duncan
ChristopherDuncan.com
Atlanta, GA

System specs:
Resolve 17.4.2

Daz Wood

PostSat Aug 18, 2018 12:53 am

Chris Duncan wrote:
Daz Wood wrote:One more thing to try is open up the control panel of your audio device and make sure the sample rate is set correctly.

Thanks, Daz.

While I typically run Cubase projects at 48k to make it easy to go back and forth between audio and video, checking my control panel revealed that the UR-44 was set to 44.1k. Flipping it to 48k solved all problems.

I don't know how long it's been sitting at 44.1 as I typically do Cubase mixing in the studio control room. The workstation in the office where I do Resolve and other video things is a secondary audio room primarily for convenience, and it's been a while since I fired up Cubase in this environment.

That said, audio was playing in Resolve just fine in 14 ten minutes before I upgraded to 15. Either something about the 15 installation process reset my audio sample rate (not entirely out of the question) or 14 is more tolerant than 15 in this regard.

Given that the audio in this Resolve project was at 48, what I would have expected is the pitch shift you typically get when playing back audio at the wrong sample rate, not a complete flameout of audio altogether.

In any event, your insights are most appreciated as I'm now up and running again.

The problem with Resolve is that it can't use an asio driver so you always have to set the sample rate from the audio cards control panel and not from inside Resolve. Unfortunately because of this the settings never get saved with the project.
Thank you

Daz

Chris Duncan

PostSat Aug 18, 2018 12:59 am

Daz Wood wrote:The problem with Resolve is that it can't use an asio driver so you always have to set the sample rate from the audio cards control panel and not from inside Resolve. Unfortunately because of this the settings never get saved with the project.

No software is ever perfect, it's all about knowing which wires to jiggle. With this on my radar, if there are audio adventures in the future I'll know to review the control panel as part of the debugging process.
Chris Duncan
ChristopherDuncan.com
Atlanta, GA

System specs:
Resolve 17.4.2

steve oakley

PostSat Aug 18, 2018 4:02 am

Chris Duncan wrote:
steve oakley wrote:after trying to do mix in fairlight page, I'm getting digital hash noise after a couple minutes.

Logic or other audio related programs showing side effects after the install, or is it only Resolve?

Hi - its purely resolve thats being a problem. FCPX, logix, VLC, system sounds etc all work fine.

S
S
4K 27Dell
MiniPanel via enet
Wacom XL Pro

Chris Duncan

PostSat Aug 18, 2018 4:06 am

steve oakley wrote:Hi - its purely resolve thats being a problem. FCPX, logix, VLC, system sounds etc all work fine.

Yeah, figured it was a long shot. Have you tried burning incense and sacrificing goats yet?
Chris Duncan
ChristopherDuncan.com
Atlanta, GA

System specs:
Resolve 17.4.2

rombituon

PostThu Dec 19, 2019 10:20 pm

Did anyone figure this out? I'm running into the same issue. Audio outputs only in the Fairlight panel and no where else.

theoangell

PostMon Oct 11, 2021 4:47 am

[quote="Daz Wood"]I guess you both have already tried these settings, changing system setting to manual and setting the device to your audio card and outputs:

This preference pane looks different in Resolve 17.3

I don't have audio anywhere in Resolve, except Fairlight – I hear audio in Fairlight but in no other page. What is going on here?

steve oakley

PostMon Oct 11, 2021 4:59 am

on edit page, right side main image area, bottom left, look for slider which is audio playback level. right next to is is circle con which can toggle audio output on and off. if its red and has X through it, audio is off. Hit X to toggle on, adjust level as needed.
S
4K 27Dell
MiniPanel via enet
Wacom XL Pro

theoangell

PostMon Oct 11, 2021 5:08 am

steve oakley wrote:on edit page, right side main image area, bottom left, look for slider which is audio playback level. right next to is is circle con which can toggle audio output on and off. if its red and has X through it, audio is off. Hit X to toggle on, adjust level as needed.

I have it fully up, not muted... and not dimmed.

steve oakley

PostMon Oct 11, 2021 5:30 am

ok, not enough info then.

OS ?
in prefs what are you using for audio out ?
using USB audio interface ? decklink I/O ? mobo audio ?
those have to match up appropriately

after that the most common cause is audio sample rate on hardware not matching app and TL.

also on edit page, look at audio mixer, main outs, make sure its not muted

did you mess with audio routing ? tracks to buses ?

w/o some screen shots and more info hard to say. really should start new thread, and search forum as there are a number of related threads
S
4K 27Dell
MiniPanel via enet
Wacom XL Pro

theoangell

PostMon Oct 11, 2021 3:24 pm

Hi Steve, thanks for your help!!! I really appreciate it!

It turns out, the culprit was a preference setting under System->Video and Audio I/O ->Video I/O (!) -> Enable discreet audio output. This had become unchecked (I don't know how, but I suspect it was caused by the crash...). I use a Ultrastudio Mini Monitor and it seems this setting enables audio to go down a different path than video.

Why a setting that effects audio is hidden in the video section of this pane is beyond me... :-)

Theo

Return to DaVinci Resolve