Colour Management and DRTs

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

cemoz101

Colour Management and DRTs

PostFri Aug 17, 2018 9:57 pm

Hi,

I was wondering if there was no way to apply DRTs within Resolve in a non-ACES yet colour managed workflow?

If I have a low dynamic range (display referred) shot and want to map it to a LogC WCG colour space to then apply a LUT that expects LogC WCG on input, I cannot apply inverse DRTs to the input colour transform of the clip. This leads to poor tonal mapping where highlight detail is clipped.

The ResolveFX Color Transform tool is close but I find that the tonal mapping options are still very limited. You should be able to select a DRT so tonal mapping is correct based on your working colour space and output. Currently, I have to guess what value on the slider is 'correct' by looking at the scopes.

Moreover, from what I gather, DaVinci Color Managed workflow has its own 'look' so if I want to work in a colour managed workflow, I have to go with the 'DaVinci' look or choose ACES, which also has a look of its own. As a colourist, I should have the ability to choose whether I want the Davinci 'look' or stick to the more 'neutral' look that other camera manufacturers have defined for their respective cameras.

Thank you,

Cem
Cem Ozkilicci CSI
// Senior Colourist
// Nordisk Film Shortcut Oslo

Return to DaVinci Resolve