Davinci Resolve 15 dont use all the power of my system

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

JosephJaafar

Davinci Resolve 15 dont use all the power of my system

PostSat Aug 18, 2018 3:50 pm

Dear members,
I'm a happy user of DR15 for a while now. I also had build a strong system, so that I can max my work flow. Now I had realized that DR15 don't use all the power what my system can offer. Specially when I'm in fusion. And because DR15 don't use the full power of the system, I'm start noticing a lot Lagging DR15 Fusion.

DR15 has always used low power resources when I'm editing, color correction, exporting and so on. DR15 use a lot more form my CPU then my GPU. Like when I'm working in fusion my the load on my CPU is between 50-60% and the GPU is only at 5%. When I'm rendering my project form Fusion to DR15 my CPU will stay almost the same but the GPU will be a bit higher. Around the 20-30%. This is almost whit everything what I do. Exporting the final file is like CPU 100% and GPU 45-55% for a UHD 4k at 30 fps.
Isn't like this if DR15 use my GPU to the max then process will a lot higher and faster?

My CPU is Intel i7 7800X 6 core Hexa at 3,5GHZ turbo boost to 4GHZ
My GPU is a MSI Navida Geforce GTX 1050 TI 4GB
My Ram is 16GB, and got M.2 256GB SSD form Samsung

I had test my system
Whit Cinebench R15: GPU: 129,21FPS and CPU 1307CB
Whit Geekbeach 4 : Single core is 5023 and multi core is 24591

Is there someone who can give advice how to use or setup DR15 the best way?

JosephJaafar

Re: Davinci Resolve 15 dont use all the power of my system

PostMon Aug 20, 2018 8:23 pm

I think I have figured it out. I had change to high performance at the power usage setting of Windows 10 Pro.
Then opened Davinci Resolve 15 and upload a clip, I had change the video code of my clip form H.264 to DNxHR HQX.
After that I re-import the clip in DR15 and started to edit, color correction, adding effect in fusion and so on.
For a file with the resolution 3840x2160 60fps 26sec long. Rendering the effect form Fusion to DR15, the usage was CPU:45%/GPU:60%
After that I had add tracking, color correction, luts, effect
The export usage was CPU 43% and GPU 45% after a while my GPU get almost max out (92%). The CPU stayed the same

the export time is 2.31

I like to ask people who are expert in computers if this method will harm my PC or not
And people who are expert in DR15 I like to ask them for advise on this method.

Return to DaVinci Resolve