Love Live Save and Optical flow

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Yogendra Singh

Love Live Save and Optical flow

PostMon Aug 20, 2018 1:08 am

I have explored very little of Resolve 15 so far. But I love the smooth slow motion of 25% off of the 25fps(sony alpha 100 fps slomo). It makes my resolve crash everytime. But because of that Live Save feature I don't have to do it again and again and worry to save it.
There are artifacts, but I choose the least problematic (with action I need) 2/3 sec out of that 400fps slomo footage.
https://www.instagram.com/weddings_by_yogendra/

Resolve Studio 18.0.1
Fusion Studio 16.2.1

Uli Plank

Re: Love Live Save and Optical flow

PostMon Aug 20, 2018 2:51 am

I'm not sure if you fully understood how slo-mo works in Resolve, there should be no artifacts (other than some from the camera). You slow your clip down by going into "Clip Attributes" and change the target frame rate to the one in your timeline, like from 100 fps to 25 fps. That should look perfect and there shouldn't be any crashes either if your machine is not to weak for Resolve anyway.

Can you tell us about your hardware, including the graphics board?
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

RCModelReviews

PostMon Aug 20, 2018 3:03 am

Not so Uli, if you use the optical-flow setting for retiming then it is quite possible to get some very strange artifacts in the footage that results. I have seen this myself and although optical flow is good for about 80% of my retime operations, sometimes I simply have to use the "nearest" or "frame blend" mode, depending on the mount of motion involved.
Resolve 18.1 Studio, Fusion 9 Studio
CPU: i7 8700, OS: Windows 10 32GB RAM, GPU: RTX3060
I'm refugee from Sony Vegas slicing video for my YouTube channels.

Uli Plank

PostMon Aug 20, 2018 3:38 am

That's why I supposed that he is using off-speed without needing it. After all he has 100 fps footage, but the text was not so clear to me, maybe he needs to slow further down.
I know that Optical Flow can introduce a lot of artifacts, and one even needs to play with the options to see what fits the footage. The new enhanced mode is not always better.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Yogendra Singh

PostMon Aug 20, 2018 4:31 am

RCModelReviews wrote:Not so Uli, if you use the optical-flow setting for retiming then it is quite possible to get some very strange artifacts in the footage that results. I have seen this myself and although optical flow is good for about 80% of my retime operations, sometimes I simply have to use the "nearest" or "frame blend" mode, depending on the mount of motion involved.

Exactly.
Resolve has a project based setting so if you want to use optical flow in a project you can't change the setting.

Uli Plank wrote:I'm not sure if you fully understood how slo-mo works in Resolve, there should be no artifacts (other than some from the camera). You slow your clip down by going into "Clip Attributes" and change the target frame rate to the one in your timeline, like from 100 fps to 25 fps. That should look perfect and there shouldn't be any crashes either if your machine is not to weak for Resolve anyway.
Can you tell us about your hardware, including the graphics board?

Sony SnQ settings convert 100fps to 25 fps in camera.

My hardware is
core i5 2.8 GHz
32 GB RAM
GTX 960 4GB
Win 10 Pro

It plays my 50fps FHD footage in real time.
Now crashing is so bad that just playing that optical flow slomo crashes resolve.

Uli Plank wrote:That's why I supposed that he is using off-speed without needing it. After all he has 100 fps footage, but the text was not so clear to me, maybe he needs to slow further down.
I know that Optical Flow can introduce a lot of artifacts, and one even needs to play with the options to see what fits the footage. The new enhanced mode is not always better.

If I get buttery smooth slomo, then what is the problem in using it? As soon as you see that slomo you'll love it.

Resolve Studio 18.0.1
Fusion Studio 16.2.1

Uli Plank

PostMon Aug 20, 2018 5:13 am

You mentioned artifacts, so I wanted to point that out. Excuse me if I misunderstood your first question, I didn't get that you want to slow that 4:1 slo-mo further down and that the footage had been retimed in camera already.

Regarding the crashes I already answered in the other thread.

Yogendra Singh

PostMon Aug 20, 2018 5:57 am

Uli Plank wrote:You mentioned artifacts

yes brother as RC had mentioned. Artifacts are the side effects of Optical Flow. I am ready to ignore them for the slomo I am getting.
Crashes and flickering of rendered clips is what bothering me.

Resolve Studio 18.0.1
Fusion Studio 16.2.1

Marc Wielage

PostMon Aug 20, 2018 6:14 am

Yogendra Singh wrote:
Uli Plank wrote:You mentioned artifacts

yes brother as RC had mentioned. Artifacts are the side effects of Optical Flow. I am ready to ignore them for the slomo I am getting. Crashes and flickering of rendered clips is what bothering me.

If it's H.264 Long-GOP files (which it most likely is), then that puts more stress on your system. Try converting the material to a less-compressed format like DNxHD or DNxHR and see if that helps avoid the crashes.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Yogendra Singh

PostMon Aug 27, 2018 4:48 am

Marc Wielage wrote:If it's H.264 Long-GOP files (which it most likely is), then that puts more stress on your system. Try converting the material to a less-compressed format like DNxHD or DNxHR and see if that helps avoid the crashes.

How to convert to DNxHR? thru Resolve/premiere or any other means?

I have a work around for flickering issue, which I never saw in 14.3. And that is closing resolve and reopening it just for rendering and that eliminates flicker in rendered video.

Resolve Studio 18.0.1
Fusion Studio 16.2.1

Shrinivas Ramani

Blackmagic Design

PostMon Aug 27, 2018 5:06 am

Yogendra Singh wrote:closing resolve and reopening it just for rendering and that eliminates flicker in rendered video.

Could you post your system specs? And a link to some logs captured soon after a crash? And if possible, a screen capture or a phone video showing some artefacts when you run into them?
viewtopic.php?f=21&t=71894

Yogendra Singh

PostMon Aug 27, 2018 5:26 am

Shrinivas Ramani wrote:
Yogendra Singh wrote:closing resolve and reopening it just for rendering and that eliminates flicker in rendered video.

Could you post your system specs?

My hardware is
core i5 2.8 GHz
32 GB RAM
GTX 960 4GB
Win 10 Pro

Resolve Studio 18.0.1
Fusion Studio 16.2.1

Shrinivas Ramani

Blackmagic Design

PostMon Aug 27, 2018 5:36 am

Depending on resolution and codec and if you're doing complex image operations, the GTX 960 may be a bottleneck. Logs and more info will help

Yogendra Singh

PostMon Aug 27, 2018 7:49 am

Shrinivas Ramani wrote:Depending on resolution and codec and if you're doing complex image operations, the GTX 960 may be a bottleneck. Logs and more info will help

bottle necking is not big problem right now.
Big is the crashing of Resolve every 5 minutes
Pls suggest me a solution.

Resolve Studio 18.0.1
Fusion Studio 16.2.1

Return to DaVinci Resolve