R15 ofx keyframing weird behavior (or me weird user) ?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Sam Steti

R15 ofx keyframing weird behavior (or me weird user) ?

PostMon Aug 20, 2018 3:31 pm

Hi there,

I think you guys started keyframing some ofx sometimes, so is it just me or the default behavior of keyframing some automatically in its inspector pane doesn't work the same way as it does in the classic keyframe controm TL (bottom right) ?

Sorry if I missed a potential related discussion here around, but say I have a node with a PW restricting an effect to a specific portion in the clip, and I want to gradually change the blending of this effect (keeping the power window btw). I can KF the blend part of the effect, and I did in the ofx inspector...

BUT unlike the classic keyframing TL, if I click the diamond here in the inspector, the diamond seems to insert a KF only at this specific place and returns to its initial state... Is this the normal behavior here ?
Why not keeping it orange so that it takes any change into account until my second click on it ? Because this is how it works in the keyframes panel and if I right click to "animate" a line in Fusion...

What d'you think ?
*MacMini M1 16 Go - Ext nvme SSDs on TB3 - 14 To HD in 2 x 4 disks USB3 towers
*Legacy MacPro 8core Xeons, 32 Go ram, 2 x gtx 980 ti, 3SSDs including RAID
*Resolve Studio everywhere, Fusion Studio too
*https://www.buymeacoffee.com/videorhin

John Paines

Re: R15 ofx keyframing weird behavior (or me weird user) ?

PostMon Aug 20, 2018 3:39 pm

Am not sure I follow you entirely, but once you click on the keyframe symbol in the Inspector to activate it, don't click on it again. Just go through the clip and change values at the appropriate playhead position. Every time you do, the system will insert a new keyframe and will interpolate between the two during playback.

You would only click a second time if you're on an existing keyframe you want to delete.
Last edited by John Paines on Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sam Steti

PostMon Aug 20, 2018 3:53 pm

No John, thx for your answer but actually it does not (in the inspector); click the diamond, it's activated > change a value :

1/ it inserts a KF here only and deactivates itself just after it did : go elsewhere in the TL, change the value again : it doesn't change the value where you are now in the TL but what you did before at the place of the first click.
If you want it to act as you say, you have to click again on it a second time to re-activate it and change the value. That's the problem...

2/ Basic check : try it and check the diamond, you'll see it will turn from orang to initial grey as soon as you've changed a value. Therefore it was activated for one action only :(

3/ BTW, I wanted to keep this second issue for later on, what if I don't want to interpolate ? That's to say I want some KF to be static as in the keyframe panel ? ;)

John Paines

PostMon Aug 20, 2018 3:56 pm

Once it's turned on, it *doesn't* deactivate, whatever the color, orange or grey. It will set keyframes automatically whenever you change a value. If you click a second time, it will delete the then current keyframe.

Sam Steti

PostMon Aug 20, 2018 4:29 pm

Well I checked again and it indeed put KF even if the diamond is not orange anymore :) . Sorry, I was pretty sure it didn't, I made a mistake... Thus i was the weird user here...

So now, what's ext :

- please BMD let the diamond orange if it's still activated : that's the way it works in the animation panel and in the fusion inspector panel (and it keeps green in fusion standalon >, no need to put another look here for the same action.

- How can I turn some KF from dynamic to static, in order to avoid some interpolation between a couple of KF ?

John Paines

PostMon Aug 20, 2018 4:38 pm

Sam Steti wrote:- How can I turn some KF from dynamic to static, in order to avoid some interpolation between a couple of KF ?

Since there's no apparent way to set a keyframe in the inspector without changing a value, I think you'd have to get to the position immediately before the next change in keyframe value, set a keyframe by changing a value, then change it back to the value of the prior keyframe.

Sam Steti

PostMon Aug 20, 2018 6:21 pm

Hmm yes, that's what I finally did as a workaround, but I think - maybe for a next release - that a right click on the diamond (+ contextual menu to choose static instead of dynamic) would do the trick like a piece of cake.
Anyway thx for your inputs.

Return to DaVinci Resolve