refreshing stills? taking hours.. resolve 15

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

ericdehaven

refreshing stills? taking hours.. resolve 15

PostMon Aug 20, 2018 10:08 pm

Anyone know what this is and why its taking hours to refresh.

Recent update to 15, loading projects created in 14 and working fine.

Project loads, all functions appear to be fine until you access color page. A progress bar appears, says "refreshing stills" and this happens for each of my timelines in all projects created in 14 and opened in 15.

For many of my timelines this process if left running takes hours.
Some never complete (left one overnight)

Can anyone clarify, or replicate. Is this expected behavior.

system:
Resolve advanced on centos 7.3.1611
Resolve 15 release
4x 1080ti gpu
dual 14 core xeon
128gb ram
DeckLink 4K Extreme 12G with sdi daughterboard

ericdehaven

Re: refreshing stills? taking hours.. resolve 15

PostTue Aug 21, 2018 5:33 pm

It appears that the system crashes when accessing the color tab.
The last log entry is
[0x7f6f1cfecac0] | SyManager.Gallery | INFO | 2018-08-20 18:46:18,771 | Started loading 75 stills into the cache

Anyone from BM can speak to this.. This project is supposed to deliver tomorrow and this is got us at a complete standstill

RudiLotter

PostThu May 23, 2019 8:17 pm

Hi there

I know this is a year too late but i figured it out here. If you move a project that has missing stills for what ever reason i.e. a still frame grab that if you double click to view a wipe it just appears black, when you migrate this project it'll get stuck in that "Refreshing Stills" when in the colour tab.

This happened to me now going from 15 to 16, moving giant projects across.

Darren Abate

PostThu Sep 05, 2019 10:46 pm

I'm having this problem now in 16b2, why is this still happening? Is there a fix for this? After importing a DRP file to open an old project, when I go to the color tab, Resolve hangs and then crashes on "Refreshing stills ... (55%) It will not get past that point.

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Sep 06, 2019 12:53 am

Is your drive listed at the top of the preferences, system, media storage the same? As this is where all the default stills are saved and unless you have defined it otherwise is where it’s going to look for the stills
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

Darren Abate

PostFri Sep 06, 2019 6:12 pm

Peter Chamberlain wrote:Is your drive listed at the top of the preferences, system, media storage the same? As this is where all the default stills are saved and unless you have defined it otherwise is where it’s going to look for the stills

Thanks for the tip Peter, I'll check to make sure that all the drives are appearing.

D

Jamie LeJeune

PostSun Oct 13, 2019 3:58 am

Peter Chamberlain wrote:Is your drive listed at the top of the preferences, system, media storage the same? As this is where all the default stills are saved and unless you have defined it otherwise is where it’s going to look for the stills
I am having this problem in the full release of Resolve v16

My drive that contains the still store (same drive and location that I've used for the gallery stills since version 11) it is there in preferences, but the problem persists. All of my legacy projects exported from version 15, when I attempt to open them in v16 they hang for eternity on "refreshing stills"
I left one project running for a whole weekend to see if that notice would go away and the project would become usable, but no luck.

What's the fix? How do I open those projects from version 15? In once case, I'm in a bit of trouble because I have one project that I need to access that, even though it was finished a year ago, there's a cut down for broadcast and I need to make some changes using the v15 project file.
www.cinedocs.com
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm4601572/

Thomas Maier

PostFri Nov 22, 2019 9:09 am

Same problem here!
Resolve hanging during "Refreshing stills ... (50%)"
Have to shut it down!

I can load the Project by immediately switching to the edit page.
Everything else is working.
Switching to color-page, it tries to refresh the stills and hangs.

Already find out, if then galley tab isn’t open, the color page is working normal.

In other projects everything’s fine.
From there I can see in the projects gallery view via database an <invalid> still.

Maybe that’s the problem, but I can’t delete it…

16.1.1, Updated database, new project
It worked like a charme...

schepers

PostMon Feb 10, 2020 3:55 pm

I had the same problem. Just in the database cmd+c cmd+v, copy paste your project. Then use the new copy version.

chfilm

PostMon May 23, 2022 1:24 pm

schepers wrote:I had the same problem. Just in the database cmd+c cmd+v, copy paste your project. Then use the new copy version.

You just saved my life!!

Return to DaVinci Resolve